Viking cancellation policy

Twitchly

On 9/28/2021 at 12:52 PM, Squawkman said:

I attached the RISK-FREE GUARANTEE - TEMPORARY CANCELLATION POLICY FOR BOOKINGS MADE BETWEEN MAY 1, 2020 TO DECEMBER 31, 2020, which would be applicable to the rebooking of your cancelled cruise made in December, 2020. Your description of the guarantee is accurate with one exception - there is NO mention of getting a cash refund under this policy. You were offered a cash refund when the cruise was cancelled, but opted for the 125% FCV. This guarantee lets you change the booking - but never offers cash again as you claim. Had you taken the cash and rebooked, you would be covered under the standard policy as per your booking statement which would entitle you to prorated cash reimbursement per the schedule on page 2.

I can't vouch for what you claim you were told, but I have booked over a dozen cruises, had 4 cancelled and cancelled one myself. I never experienced any underhanded or unethical situations as you describe. If you have what you claim about guaranteed cash refunds in writing from Viking , please post it here.

10MAY-201117_RiskFreeGuarantee.pdf 50.65 kB · 4 downloads

It is right there on the page that you posted -- under the 4th bullet point.  Two choices -- either refund per schedule or voucher.

36 minutes ago, randpw said:

It is right there on the page that you posted -- under the 4th bullet point.  Two choices -- either refund per schedule or voucher.

Where do you see the word “refund”? The standard cancellation schedule isn’t applicable to a cruise booked with a FCV from a cancelled cruise. It would be applicable if you paid cash. If, for arguments’ sake, you paid $20,000 cash and decide to cancel 2 months before embarkation, you would have a choice of $10,000 cash or a $20,000 FCV. You can’t get cash once you accept a voucher. There would be a proration if you paid part cash and used part FCV. It’s been repeated here several times - sorry you have a problem understanding this.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2021 at 9:52 AM, randpw said:

My husband and I booked a sailing to Norway in December of 2019 (booking number *******, paid in cash ) and Viking canceled it in December of '20 due to covid. Along with the cancelation notice they sent us vouchers good for 125% of what we had invested, with the promise in writing that using them to re-book was Risk Free. The voucher letter even states that if we used the vouchers to re-book that the Risk Free Guarantee would apply to our booking. DON'T BELIEVE THEM IF THEY OFFER THIS TO YOU!!! Instead of dealing with the cash refund offer that was also given, and then using that same cash to re-book the very same cruise for 2022, we ignorantly just used the voucher to immediately re-book. Same everything but the dates. (Booking number #######, paid with resultant voucher.) When we re-booked, the Viking agent assured us that we were taking NO RISK in doing so! We could make changes or cancel at any time up to 24 hours before departure without penalty and get a refund. The new paperwork all came showing that we had used the voucher as payment on Page 1 of the Guest Statement, the Standard Cancelation Schedule is on Page 2, and the Temporary Cancelation Policy that was also attached CLEARLY put us into the covered category -- with choices of either a refund or a voucher again should we need to make any changes. All good, right?

Now our ability to travel has changed significantly due to covid restrictions so we need to cancel...and Viking last week tells us that our reservation now has NO REFUNDABLE CASH VALUE!! It's like our cash payments to them just went down a rabbit hole! They are standing firmly behind an UNpublished policy that they say states that since a voucher was used and no 'new money' was applied to this trip we can now get NONE of our money back! (TOTALLY OPPOSITE of what all of our paperwork says!. And NOWHERE does it say that any 'new money' has to be used to qualify! In fact, it CLEARLY states in the voucher letter that using the voucher DOES qualify for the guarantee!! And the guarantee CLEARLY has 2 choices!!!)

We might get a voucher (that now has no cash value) good for another 2 years -- but our ability to travel is unlikely to change in that time and then the voucher will be useless. And they will have had a significant amount of our money (about $11, 000) for 4 years by then, with no refund certain even then, and no services provided!!! Guest Services personnel hide behind the tiny little writing at the bottom of the Guarantee page that says 'other restrictions might apply'. Again, DO NOT TRUST anything they say, even in writing it seems. We now have NO respect for this company and their underhanded and unethical business practices! It is a shame really as we had liked traveling with them before and had planned to do so regularly as long as we were able. Not any more...this experience has totally soured us on the whole company.

Edited by vacationgirl50
Meant to reply to this not copy it.

Please look up Elliott Advocacy.  This organization gives very helpful tips on how to recover refunds from many companies including Cruise lines.  You may just need to email an executive at Viking  to have your case reviewed.  That's what I did when I was trying to get a refund from Air Canada for a flight that was cancelled in May 2020.  And it worked.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2021 at 9:03 AM, Twitchly said:

These stories and others like them here on CC have been instrumental in our decision to ask for cash as a refund rather than vouchers (should our cruise get canceled, which I hope it won’t be). Things just get too complicated with the vouchers.

We still have a FCV from the original cancelation of our Viking trip back in April 2020.  At the time we took the 125% voucher thinking two years would be plenty of time to book another cruise that may not sail until 2023 or 2024 and that the pandemic would not have lasted this long.  In the interim, either we or Viking have canceled three other cruises, fortunately only one was paid in full and we opted for a cash refund(Viking canceled) given that we already had this FCV.  Well, April 2022 is coming soon and we still haven't booked anything given the challenges of traveling under COVID.  Based on what I have read here, it may be worthwhile just to let it expire and get back our monies that we paid. For us, international travel seem still too uncertain and challenging to book any time soon.  Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences.

When Viking says "Risk Free" that applies to Viking, not to the voucher which has no cash value, can only be used as specified, fine print notwithstanding, and only on certain items. Right now, they are advertising free airfare to Europe on a two week European River cruise - free air through December 2022 cruises if you book now and of course, pay in full sooner rather than later. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SM77 said:

We still have a FCV from the original cancelation of our Viking trip back in April 2020.  At the time we took the 125% voucher thinking two years would be plenty of time to book another cruise that may not sail until 2023 or 2024 and that the pandemic would not have lasted this long.  In the interim, either we or Viking have canceled three other cruises, fortunately only one was paid in full and we opted for a cash refund(Viking canceled) given that we already had this FCV.  Well, April 2022 is coming soon and we still haven't booked anything given the challenges of traveling under COVID.  Based on what I have read here, it may be worthwhile just to let it expire and get back our monies that we paid. For us, international travel seem still too uncertain and challenging to book any time soon.  Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences.

At present Viking has Far East itineraries published for 2024. However, by April 2022, I expect we will see all schedules posted for 2024 and possibly even some cruises in 2025.

It is all subject to your risk tolerance, but personally, I would wait as long as possible, hoping that a cruise of interest will be posted. Good luck.

11 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

At present Viking has Far East itineraries published for 2024. However, by April 2022, I expect we will see all schedules posted for 2024 and possibly even some cruises in 2025.

It is all subject to your risk tolerance, but personally, I would wait as long as possible, hoping that a cruise of interest will be posted. Good luck.

Andy,  

Thank you for all your posts.  I find them to be so insightful and helpful.  One of our bucket list Viking cruises is on the Mekong River and I was thinking of using the FCV for that one.  However traveling to & in Asia can be challenging even pre-pandemic.  I am concerned about having to quarantine in Asia.  We still have a few months to decide.  

Once you feel safe I would encourage you to go on the Mekong cruise.  It was a fantastic experience. We did not travel with Viking.  Viking's new ship will definitely make their ship very desirable.  If you have a chance make sure to do a cruise in Halong Bay even if it is only for a day!

On 10/31/2021 at 5:11 AM, SM77 said:

Based on what I have read here, it may be worthwhile just to let it expire and get back our monies that we paid. For us, international travel seem still too uncertain and challenging to book any time soon.  Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences.

Where in the fine print that says we can choose to get cash refund if we do not use the FCV within two years of issue?  I thought that my FCV would expire after two years and that I would lose everything if I did not book a new cruise within 2 years.  Or does the cash refund option apply to special cases such as Viking cancellations only (I.e., not cancelled by me)?

2 minutes ago, dreamercruise said:

Where in the fine print that says we can choose to get cash refund if we do not use the FCV within two years of issue?  I thought that my FCV would expire after two years and that I would lose everything if I did not book a new cruise within 2 years.  Or does the cash refund option apply to special cases such as Viking cancellations only (I.e., not cancelled by me)?

The cash refund applied to FCV's issued for cruises cancelled by Viking. The initial FCV's were for 125% and if unused after 2 yrs they would issue a cash refund of 100% of money paid. I no longer have any of these vouchers on file, so cannot upload.

• Thanks 1