Tipping on MSC cruises

roberttz

1 minute ago, JAGR said:

Don't you imply you know how to read!  I never said what I did was typical.  I said that on cruises out of the US, 'tipping' as a practice, and then I explained my personal practice.  I did not say my action was typical, I only described my practice.  That was in response to the OP's request, and was an appropriate answer to his inquiry.  I don't need a survey to know what is a common in cruises out of U.S  ports.  Look up tipping on cruises in Google.  Read the threads here on CC regarding tipping.  I explained my practice.  You explained your practice (In and odd way, implying you don't feel a need to tip beyond the service charge, and then saying you may give the odd bit of coin out for exceptional service).  The OP has gotten the information he was seeking.

You absolutely said that tipping beyond the automatically added gratuities was "typical" in the U.S. Tipping on cruises is common, we agree. Tipping beyond the cruise line's recommendation happens, but no evidence that it is "typical." No one that pays their gratuities via the automatic billing should be shamed into thinking they are in the minority by not tipping more.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, publicpersona said:

You absolutely said that tipping beyond the automatically added gratuities was "typical" in the U.S. Tipping on cruises is common, we agree. Tipping beyond the cruise line's recommendation happens, but no evidence that it is "typical." No one that pays their gratuities via the automatic billing should be shamed into thinking they are in the minority by not tipping more.

Good for you!  You are getting closer to interpreting what I wrote!  I did say that additional tipping is common on U.S. cruises.  I am also saying that tipping beyond the base service charge is more common in America as we are a tip-based country. MSC is European-based, and as such officially advises people not to tip.  That being said, if you ask MSC crew members why they seek out working ships that are US port based, they will tell you that the tipping is the big incentive.  Again, if you read just MSC threads on tipping, especially in YC, tipping beyond the base is a given, and is more typical than not. I know it's not scientific enough for you, but it is common.  Also again, I only mentioned my typical practice on my MSC cruises.  YAMMV, of that I am certain!

20 minutes ago, publicpersona said:

That's what I read.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Gatordad1967 said:

That's what I read.

When did I say I was shaming?  I talked about my practice as mine, not the standard in any way.  Cold weather for us in Central Ohio today, BTW!  Welcome to Fall in Franklin County

Edited by JAGR

10 minutes ago, JAGR said:

When did I say I was shaming?  I talked about my practice as mine, not the standard in any way.  Cold weather for us in Central Ohio today, BTW!  Welcome to Fall in Franklin County

I don't think you shamed,  you said:

For MSC on cruises from the U.S. (where tipping beyond the service charge is a typical practice), 

That is what confused me.  I know ppl do it tho.

I will be headed to the 305 tomorrow morning for my Meraviglia cruise on Saturday.  I will try to bring some warmth back.  The fall is ok, winter suuuuuucks

Edited by Gatordad1967
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gatordad1967 said:

I will be headed to the 305 tomorrow morning for my Meraviglia cruise on Saturday.  I will try to bring some warmth back.  The fall is ok, winter suuuuuucks

Safe travels.  Enjoy the cruise.  She's a beautiful ship.

I think what the original poster was asking before these threads get into a tip/no tip shouting match (and they always do), IF you want to tip extra what do you give?

I have the same question and from my research on the boards even an extra $25 is greatly appreciated.  Either a thank you card or envelope from CS discreetly given out.

I don't need advise whether I should do it or not, It is up to me.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

Is that on their website somewhere?

Bold added by me...last line...

During your cruise, you will meet staff throughout the ship who provide you with excellent service. They are supported by just as many staff and crew who work hard behind the scenes to ensure you enjoy every moment on board. For your convenience, MSC Cruises will automatically add a daily Hotel Service Charge to your shipboard account, based on your chosen itinerary and the number of days for which the services are actually provided.

The Hotel Service charge serves to ensure we maintain the highest quality standards of service to our guests. The daily amounts below have been calculated with this in mind and cannot be modified. However, should you wish to remove any of the daily Hotel Service Charge in the unlikely event that you do not receive satisfactory service, you may do so by contacting the Guest Relations Manager onboard. If you wish, the daily Service Charge for your cruise can be added to the price of your cruise at the time of booking, rather than added to your onboard account during the cruise. Please let your booking agent know if you would like to add the Service Charge to your cruise price.

TIPS: MSC does not recommend tipping individual members of staff.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

Bold added by me...last line...

During your cruise, you will meet staff throughout the ship who provide you with excellent service. They are supported by just as many staff and crew who work hard behind the scenes to ensure you enjoy every moment on board. For your convenience, MSC Cruises will automatically add a daily Hotel Service Charge to your shipboard account, based on your chosen itinerary and the number of days for which the services are actually provided.

The Hotel Service charge serves to ensure we maintain the highest quality standards of service to our guests. The daily amounts below have been calculated with this in mind and cannot be modified. However, should you wish to remove any of the daily Hotel Service Charge in the unlikely event that you do not receive satisfactory service, you may do so by contacting the Guest Relations Manager onboard. If you wish, the daily Service Charge for your cruise can be added to the price of your cruise at the time of booking, rather than added to your onboard account during the cruise. Please let your booking agent know if you would like to add the Service Charge to your cruise price.

TIPS: MSC does not recommend tipping individual members of staff.

now i wanna do that more

9 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

MSC doesn’t say it’s not acceptable, only that it’s not recommended.  Plenty of wiggle room in that advisement. 

Years ago, Holland America Cruises promoted a "Gratuities Not Required" concept.  There were plenty of us HAL cruisers who still offered gratuities to the crew that we wished to do.  

13 minutes ago, Seadweller001 said:

Sams Club and Walmart also say tipping is not acceptable.  Every XMAS my deli lady and the bakery guy get an envelope.  They have never said no and the MGR knows.

11 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

MSC doesn’t say it’s not acceptable, only that it’s not recommended.  Plenty of wiggle room in that advisement. 

My post was in NO way meant to imply NOT to tip. I was merely responding to the poster who asked for this on MSC's website.

I've never in my life seen anyone from any country anywhere to refuse a tip 🙂

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

My post was in NO way meant to imply NOT to tip.

Where did I say that it did, A?   I was responding to the Walmart reference.  

It’s all the same to me whether people tip or don’t.  The practice in the US comes from not paying a decent wage in certain sectors so the customer picks up the tab.

Edited by Beamafar

2 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

My post was in NO way meant to imply NOT to tip. I was merely responding to the poster who asked for this on MSC's website.

I've never in my life seen anyone from any country anywhere to refuse a tip 🙂

From my cruising experience of many years, everyone appreciates acts of kindness.  Most of the workers are from very poor countries, especially in this current crisis.   When you offer some generosity they remember you and the next cruise you see them on, things are amazing.  

i have 6 FB friends from my cruise on the Divina.  The company can write anything they want and people can justify that extra tipping is verboten but good deeds are never overlooked.  If tipping is done stealthy, no one but you and the tipee will ever know.  And it feels good when you know money is being sent to India, Philippines or Mauritius.  Especially around XMAS time.

8 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Where did I say that it did, A?   I was responding to the Walmart reference.  

It’s all the same to me whether people tip or don’t.  The practice in the US comes from not paying a decent wage in certain sectors so the customer picks up the tab.

Chill, just trying to clarify my post.

Where did I say you said that?

I quoted you because you mentioned plenty of wiggle room. I was trying to *agree* with you and say yeah, I wasn't saying not to do it.

And the practice of tipping in the US doesn't come from that...it's actually the reverse. Certain sectors pay less because they know customers tip. It's actually kind of sexist because those are typically female dominated industries.

In the US, you tip just about everyone. Mailmen and garbage men make decent money - certainly more than minimum wage - and they get tipped. Ditto for hair stylists and nail whatever (I'm a guy, not sure what they are called :))

I've travelled to many countries where tipping was neither customary nor advised.  I do it anyway because I'm wired like that.  Guess what - everyone I've encountered, ever, has really appreciated it - and I like making people happy, so that's what I do.

🙂

<currently tipsy>

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MonsterJoe said:

I've travelled to many countries where tipping was neither customary nor advised.  I do it anyway because I'm wired like that.  Guess what - everyone I've encountered, ever, has really appreciated it - and I like making people happy, so that's what I do.

🙂

<currently tipsy>

Steve Martin, in My Blue Heaven, says he doesn't believe in tipping...he believes in over tipping.

Great line...

• Haha 1