Day 2 PCR test

Jennizor

Can anyone settle the issue of when the need for the day 2 PCR test ends. My reading of the new rules is the end of October. Someone on the roll call for our 25th September cruise says it’s the 9th. I have already booked and paid for our test kits. If I have got it wrong I have wasted my money.

According to the news it's 4th October.

"

How are the green and amber lists changing?

From 0400 BST on Monday 4 October, the amber and green lists will be merged into one list.

Anyone who's fully vaccinated will no longer have to take a PCR test before travelling back to England from one of these countries.

That includes all of Europe and many other popular destinations.

They will still have to take a PCR test two days after arrival, but this will be replaced by a cheaper and simpler lateral flow test later in October.

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 1

Jennizor, its the end of October so you have done the right thing. We waited until the announcement last friday then ordered ours. We have also tried to take the positive view that if we do the test , send it off and get a result one way or another we will know where we stand. This is also confirmed on the .gov website. The way it was reported on the news initially was foggy at best.

42 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

According to the news it's 4th October.

"

How are the green and amber lists changing?

From 0400 BST on Monday 4 October, the amber and green lists will be merged into one list.

Anyone who's fully vaccinated will no longer have to take a PCR test before travelling back to England from one of these countries.

That includes all of Europe and many other popular destinations.

They will still have to take a PCR test two days after arrival, but this will be replaced by a cheaper and simpler lateral flow test later in October.

But your own quote states they will still have to take a PCR test two days after arrival, being replaced late in October.  No official date for the change to LFT for day 2 has been announced by the government, yet.

The 4th is for the PCR test before traveling back to UK.

• Like 1

I'm gutted,we're flying back on the 25th Sept for 10 days to organise builders for BIL who has onset dementure.Just ordered ours today,Randox 43 quid with Ryanair discount code.Don't forget the ref number,you need that for PLF.

Read the first couple of paragraphs of the government document for clarity. it states: 

• simpler, cheaper rules for fully vaccinated travellers coming from non-red list countries – fully vaccinated passengers will be able to replace day 2 PCR tests with cheaper lateral flow tests – from the end of October – and no longer need to take pre-departure tests (PDTs)

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-system-for-international-travel

Further to this issue, can anyone please clarify the new rules with regard to unvaccinated children returning to the uk?

Do 11 year olds need a PCR because they are not vaccinated or do they need just an LFT ?

The government makes some reference to children under 11 but does this mean aged 10 maximum or are 11 year olds classed as under 11?  It would make much more sense if it said 11 and below.

Any Children under 18 are likely not to have had double jabs so what is the ruling for these youngsters?

I am finding the government statement completely confusing.

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

Just to add you don't need a PCR if you're double jabbed.We're getting a LFT from a local pharmacy on Friday,around 25 Euro with an official 48hr stamp.

Just to clarify,I'm talking about the pre return to UK test which does mention a PCR test but a LFT will suffice for double jabbed.A bit ambiguous.Why have the dearer test when not needed.

3 minutes ago, L751 said:

Just wondering if you are coming back on the 22nd October will you still have to do PCR after 2 days. The gov are saying it would  be half term,  half term starts 22nd Oct

The only definite thing they have said is the end of October. They hoped it would cover half term, which is 31st Oct. a Sunday. They need to specify Friday 29th., if the wish to help parents on holiday at half term. However some schools may have a half term earlier than this, as you say ending on the 22nd.

3 hours ago, daiB said:

The only definite thing they have said is the end of October. They hoped it would cover half term, which is 31st Oct. a Sunday. They need to specify Friday 29th., if the wish to help parents on holiday at half term. However some schools may have a half term earlier than this, as you say ending on the 22nd.

Remember that officially half term is only 5 days - 25-29 October in most of Wales this year - with weekends either end. Don’t know whether that makes a difference! 

7 hours ago, Jennizor said:

Can anyone settle the issue of when the need for the day 2 PCR test ends. My reading of the new rules is the end of October. Someone on the roll call for our 25th September cruise says it’s the 9th. I have already booked and paid for our test kits. If I have got it wrong I have wasted my money.

Pre 4 October. Pre return PCR and 2 day PCR once at home. Post 4 October, no pre return test  but day 2 PCR. Some date towards the end of October. No pre return test and a Day 2 LFT. This for double Jabbed. If unvaxxed, off to the tower.

Edited by zap99
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ardennais said:

Remember that officially half term is only 5 days - 25-29 October in most of Wales this year - with weekends either end. Don’t know whether that makes a difference! 

What is important is the date you return to the country.

2 hours ago, daiB said:

What is important is the date you return to the country.

Of course, but I was just making the point that ‘half term’ is a woolly term and not a specific date and isn’t strictly speaking 9 days, but 5 days between two weekends. It would be better if officialdom gave an actual date so that people have a firm date to work with.

• Like 1

Just out of interest we ordered our PCR 2 day return test from Randox on Saturday. They dispatched it by DPD courier on Sunday (yes Sunday) and are delivering it in a one hour time slot this afternoon. I did not like the idea of it maybe sitting on the doorstep until we got home as im led believe it is too thick to go through letterbox. Discount code from insurance company is STSRANDOX gives 10% off 

1 hour ago, Technoman2 said:

Just out of interest we ordered our PCR 2 day return test from Randox on Saturday. They dispatched it by DPD courier on Sunday (yes Sunday) and are delivering it in a one hour time slot this afternoon. I did not like the idea of it maybe sitting on the doorstep until we got home as im led believe it is too thick to go through letterbox.

Mine, from a cheaper company, arrived by DPD yesterday (Sunday) and did fit through the letter box.

However more significantly the code for the PLF was received immediately I placed the order, as that is the important bit - taking the test and getting a result - well rather pointless as I do that regularly with the NHS LFT anyway.

36 minutes ago, picsa said:

Mine, from a cheaper company, arrived by DPD yesterday (Sunday) and did fit through the letter box.

However more significantly the code for the PLF was received immediately I placed the order, as that is the important bit - taking the test and getting a result - well rather pointless as I do that regularly with the NHS LFT anyway.

Just received mine 2 in one packet 3 inches thick. Would not go through letter box

IMG_20210920_151225.jpg

Don't count your chickens! just announced that there is a shortage of lateral flow tests so the change from PCR could/would be delayed

Covid testing firms are facing a shortage of lateral flow tests, says Transport Secretary Grant Shapps.

Travel rule change delayed by lateral flow test shortage - BBC News

Edited by davecttr

My next door neighbour is going with RCI in a couple of weeks.  He told me RCI require a PCR test within 72 hours of departure.  They will pay for it, via their provider but the nearest venue is in Chelmsford.  As he still drives they can make a sort of day out of it, but a pain in the proverbial for non drivers.

2 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

My next door neighbour is going with RCI in a couple of weeks.  He told me RCI require a PCR test within 72 hours of departure.  They will pay for it, via their provider but the nearest venue is in Chelmsford.  As he still drives they can make a sort of day out of it, but a pain in the proverbial for non drivers.

We have just booked a week in the Balearics going early October. No pre departure test required. We will order the 2 day PCR test in a day, or two. If it changes to a LFT, tough luck they will get a PCR result.

• Like 2