Silver Moon Extra Charge Dining

toseaornottosea

1 hour ago, Emdee said:

BTW, the bee sting…not stitch was near fatal….had a delayed reaction which effected my entire body with hives and swelling and had to be on high dosage steroids for 1 month. Not a very Royal reaction or maybe my blue blood didn’t like being polluted by the bee. The doctor has advised that the next sting could be fatal.

So laugh away….maybe after my next sting may you have the last laugh! 
I had expected more from Silversea clientele….

So sorry to hear about your delayed reaction. It isn't common but it can still be dangerous. If you are worried about getting stung again, which is understandable, have you discussed Venom Immunotherapy with your doctor? It is something we did in the medical practice I worked in.

You are given a very tiny amount of of the allergen every week over a period of a few months to try to train your body to your body not react badly to the allergen. It does involve an injection but the tiny mosquito needle and a time commitment as you have to be prepared to wait half an hour after the injection so they can asses any reaction. It doesn't always work but we had good results with bee venom and grass allergies.

This is just a thought I'm not telling you to do it 🙂.

34 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

So sorry to hear about your delayed reaction. It isn't common but it can still be dangerous. If you are worried about getting stung again, which is understandable, have you discussed Venom Immunotherapy with your doctor? It is something we did in the medical practice I worked in.

You are given a very tiny amount of of the allergen every week over a period of a few months to try to train your body to your body not react badly to the allergen. It does involve an injection but the tiny mosquito needle and a time commitment as you have to be prepared to wait half an hour after the injection so they can asses any reaction. It doesn't always work but we had good results with bee venom and grass allergies.

This is just a thought I'm not telling you to do it 🙂.

Thanks so much….this is my next step. For now I carry my epipen and other accoutrements.

I have several food allergies which I have been handling with avoidance. Occasionally I won’t know about an ingredient and will swell up or break out. You learn to live with it. 
I have never had a bee sting before  and after that noticed even honey would bring on the weals. My husband rushed ashore and came back with plenty of anti histamine goodies, fortunately as a physician he was able to titrate my intake.

Thanks for your support. Much appreciated.

Edited by Emdee

16 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

Are you going to share your views on the Shadow?

I won’t be on the Shadow. Canceled my Spirit cruise and moved it to Regent Explorer.

Still booked on the Dawn/ Moon cruise. 

• Haha 1

On 10/7/2021 at 2:29 PM, Silver Spectre said:

As has been posted on here many, many times over the years it’s not a nickel and dime issue, it’s a capacity issue. On the classic ships you have always been able to order any of dishes from La Dame in the MDR, just give them 24 hours notice. Although you are not supposed to on the Muse we have cross ordered in Indochine, I agree Kaiseki is difficult because it’s cooked in front of you, but you can eat lunch in there at no charge.

People are bound to digress when there is unwarranted criticism.

The up charge certainly isn't a deal breaker but seems unnecessary, poor optics.  Couldn't the capacity issue be resolved by allocating the number of reservations by room? 

1 hour ago, RetiredandTravel said:

The up charge certainly isn't a deal breaker but seems unnecessary, poor optics.  Couldn't the capacity issue be resolved by allocating the number of reservations by room? 

I have encountered this on another luxury line.  The problem is, when there is no financial skin in the game, people are more likely simply not to turn up for their reservation, thereby denying others the opportunity to dine there that evening.  On the luxury line in question, people lined up at the premium restaurant hoping they would be able to capture a no-show table that was released after x number of minutes.

• Like 3

I'm going to wade in here where angels fear to tread.   If you feel the need to pummel me, be advised that I bruise easily.   There are a number of new cruisers anxious to sail Silversea!  Maybe there was a big promotion for the line from the parent company.  That's great for Silversea and also for the avid new cruisers to the line!  What puzzles me is that future passengers don't seem to be researching the line before they book.  It seems that many are concerned about issues that would have presented earlier if some investigation had happened prior to booking.   Yes,  the old salts know the score from their past experiences.  It's bewildering why these issues are coming up regularly lately.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, mysty said:

I'm going to wade in here where angels fear to tread.   If you feel the need to pummel me, be advised that I bruise easily.   There are a number of new cruisers anxious to sail Silversea!  Maybe there was a big promotion for the line from the parent company.  That's great for Silversea and also for the avid new cruisers to the line!  What puzzles me is that future passengers don't seem to be researching the line before they book.  It seems that many are concerned about issues that would have presented earlier if some investigation had happened prior to booking.   Yes,  the old salts know the score from their past experiences.  It's bewildering why these issues are coming up regularly lately.

Mysty I have sailed SS once before and had hoped to sail it again this December on Muse from Sydney but Delta struck. I did my research prior to my first sailing on Shadow and went to La Dame because I thought with the upcharge  it must be worth it and I love fine dining restaurants. I only went once because I couldn't justify the cost and I am one who pays extra for premium wine.

It felt like a tacky way to make more revenue for SS. Having said that I was prepared to try once again on Muse to see if the bigger ship experience was better. 

On Seabourn you can book one night per week of travel in the Thomas Keller restaurant and when on board you can sometimes get further bookings. That doesn't mean I only want to  travel on Seabourn as they aren't perfect. I want to travel other lines and think it should be okay to have an opinion about things I don't like as well as those I do.

• Like 3

On 10/7/2021 at 1:29 PM, Silver Spectre said:

As has been posted on here many, many times over the years it’s not a nickel and dime issue, it’s a capacity issue. On the classic ships you have always been able to order any of dishes from La Dame in the MDR, just give them 24 hours notice. Although you are not supposed to on the Muse we have cross ordered in Indochine, I agree Kaiseki is difficult because it’s cooked in front of you, but you can eat lunch in there at no charge.

People are bound to digress when there is unwarranted criticism.

In the sailings currently going on, with capacity seemingly 1/3 to 1/2 full, is capacity still an issue? 

1 hour ago, frantic36 said:

Mysty I have sailed SS once before and had hoped to sail it again this December on Muse from Sydney but Delta struck. I did my research prior to my first sailing on Shadow and went to La Dame because I thought with the upcharge  it must be worth it and I love fine dining restaurants. I only went once because I couldn't justify the cost and I am one who pays extra for premium wine.

It felt like a tacky way to make more revenue for SS. Having said that I was prepared to try once again on Muse to see if the bigger ship experience was better. 

On Seabourn you can book one night per week of travel in the Thomas Keller restaurant and when on board you can sometimes get further bookings. That doesn't mean I only want to  travel on Seabourn as they aren't perfect. I want to travel other lines and think it should be okay to have an opinion about things I don't like as well as those I do.

Thanks Frantic36!  You provided a very reasoned response!  Making a judgement before even trying it seems rather hasty.  We all have different preferences and that is a good thing.  If people are interested in trying something new they shouldn't insist that it be like what they have done before.  Otherwise, what's the point of doing something "new"?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mysty said:

Thanks Frantic36!  You provided a very reasoned response!  Making a judgement before even trying it seems rather hasty.  We all have different preferences and that is a good thing.  If people are interested in trying something new they shouldn't insist that it be like what they have done before.  Otherwise, what's the point of doing something "new"?

Thanks for injecting some sanity into the discussion Mysty.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, frantic36 said:

Seabourn made the smart move by eliminating the upcharge for internet.  Most of these upcharges on luxury lines seem to be old legacy ideas.  IMO SS should drop the upcharge for restaurants and just allow each room a certain number of reservations.  That would be consistent with the new "all inclusive" model.

We've done extensive analysis comparing SS (Moon/Muse) and Seabourn and have decided we prefer the SS model because of the diversity of food.  The upcharge had no bearing on our decision, even less important than the butler, but it does look low budget.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

We've done extensive analysis comparing SS (Moon/Muse) and Seabourn and have decided we prefer the SS model because of the diversity of food.  The upcharge had no bearing on our decision, even less important than the butler, but it does look low budget.

Friends who sail Seabourn a lot did a Silversea Moon sailing recently soon after doing Seabourn and they really enjoyed the experience in La Dame on the newer ship hence why we are keen to try it as we respect their opinion. 

One day we here in Western Australia will be able to rejoin the world and I can try new things☺️.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

Friends who sail Seabourn a lot did a Silversea Moon sailing recently soon after doing Seabourn and they really enjoyed the experience in La Dame on the newer ship hence why we are keen to try it as we respect their opinion. 

One day we here in Western Australia will be able to rejoin the world and I can try new things☺️.

Yes we have read many very positive reviews about the food on the Moon.  We don't care for sushi so that limits the Seabourn choices even more.   I wrote this in another thread but the new SALT concept is very compelling to us.  One of the limitations of cruising is the lack of immersion into the countries you are visiting culture and foods, the SALT concept really helps with that.  The SALT bar looks very cool also.

I saw a report last night that you guys were starting to open up a little.  We have a trip planned to Hawaii soon, we are very excited, its our first serious vacation in a long time.

Cheers.

41 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Yes we have read many very positive reviews about the food on the Moon.  We don't care for sushi so that limits the Seabourn choices even more.   I wrote this in another thread but the new SALT concept is very compelling to us.  One of the limitations of cruising is the lack of immersion into the countries you are visiting culture and foods, the SALT concept really helps with that.  The SALT bar looks very cool also.

I saw a report last night that you guys were starting to open up a little.  We have a trip planned to Hawaii soon, we are very excited, its our first serious vacation in a long time.

Cheers.

Our friends who did Moon suggested it is best to book SALT as soon as you board as it is very popular even with reduced capacity.

NSW and Victoria and we are opening more on the East Coast federally to allow more Australian citizens home. I won't go there as it is too political to discuss. It will take awhile for us to allow international visitors in. Our friends from the USA we were supposed to travel with in 2021 then 2022 we have now rebooked with our TA for April, 2023 but it will be an amazing itinerary 🙂. Think hiking in the wine region, swimming with whale sharks, Kimberly cruising and exploring the Bungle Bungle Ranges.

So if you are looking to come here I would suggest into the late second quarter or after that to be safe.

Edited by frantic36
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1