Haven Motion

roger001

34 minutes ago, roger001 said:

Is the motion uncomfortable in the Haven on the mega ships like the Bliss?  High and forward?

Here's my view, in normal seas, the motion in the Haven is no worse than anywhere else. The movement up there is similar to anywhere else on the ship. Yeah, the physics say that it will be more. 

In rough seas, every room is going to be moving. And if we're going to be in rough seas, we rather be in a Haven room 🙂 

I was in a very front room in the Haven on the GEM during a storm and had the worst sea-sickness ever in my life. I was in a very-front room on the Escape in the Haven, also in a storm, and had no issues whatsoever. I feel like the larger ships do a much better job of handling bad weather.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i visited a DOS on breakaway during a bad storm . could barely stand while talking to the other guests. high up and forward is def not for the faint of heart. 

on princess i had  a forward facing suite and the combination of booze, force 10 winds (the scale goes to 12), was not pretty. plus taking a shower you had to hold on the grab bar for dear life. captain said was only the 2nd time he was in a storm that bad though. probably nothing to worry about in the future 😉 

the positive about the storm was you got dancing lessons walking down the halls..free!

Everyone's definition of "Bad seas" is different.  I don't even consider seas being high if they are anything under 10 meters (around 30 feet).  I hear people say all the time "oh, it was SO rough.  The Captain said there were 4 meter swells."

And I guarantee you, having been there numerous times (in public venues, not cabins which we would never book), if you are high and forward in truly rough seas, you are going to feel it.  A lot.  

Yeah,,, but you don't plan for rough seas. You plan for a nominal cruise with some chop which is handled by the stabilizers. It's the day before the cruise when you see that hurricane in your way that you pull out your Dramamine early and keep everything in drawers. 

We've been in forward facing Haven and suites on many ships and, even in storms, never felt that the movement was excessive (compared to the whole ship moving). 

On one transatlantic, we were midship and low, and the ship took a roll where  all of the glassware in the cabin went crashing into the far wall (as it did in most cabins). The room stewards worked all night to try and clean-up rooms. We had a lovely dinner that night, while at times we felt compelled to hold on to the wine glasses so they would not topple over.... time to give up fancy and just pour the wine into water tumblers. 

You don't plan for seas like on the Breakaway below

Edited by BirdTravels

22 hours ago, Heronymous said:

I was in a very front room in the Haven on the GEM during a storm and had the worst sea-sickness ever in my life. I was in a very-front room on the Escape in the Haven, also in a storm, and had no issues whatsoever. I feel like the larger ships do a much better job of handling bad weather.

The Haven on the GEM is the same as on the JEWEL -

That Haven is located midship on decks 14 & 15.

This is not quite the same as being in the very front of the ship above or beneath the Bridge.

Your front room may have been one of the Garden Suites looking forward to the pool deck

3 decks below and letting your bearings roam freely - the mal de mer - can set in quickly !

Never the less the Haven is 7 decks higher than the center of these ships and if on deck 15

one can really feel and see the movement (I was in 15500 on the JEWEL).

The Mega ships with their observation features being forward over the Bridge and even higher

would also be very prone to the movement felt and seen.

Stabilize your bearings  - fasten your seat belt - "It is going to be a bumpy ride" !