Abbott BinaxNOW Covid test expiration

sambamama

4 minutes ago, SUESEABE said:

I think I will also try to schedule us for home appointments two days ahead and use these for back-up (just to reduce my own stress level). We fly to FLL one day ahead so I will feel better having test available on my person.

That is Exactly what we do - having a back-up plan really reduces the stress....and - given the current Omicron mess rearing it's ugly head - good to have some available tests....just in case you are not feeling so good. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SFO PETER said:

OptumRX store 2 pack total cost 69.99.  No tax.  No cost shipping.  Note expiration date of 10/13/2022 maybe fixed.  Received today Mon Dec 20.

Screen Shot 2021-12-20 at 3.03.29 PM

Great! We'll place the order this week. We need it for our cruise in February and trip in May. I guess we'll buy 2 of the 2 pack again.

I have only heard of one person that had a problem with their box. The bottle was empty. That's why it's good to have at least two per person. We made sure not to put it in our checked in baggage. We kept the boxes in our carry on and never left it in the car. 

Did you guys read that starting in mid January the US is requiring insurance companies to pay for at home covid tests.  If you are going to need to carry tests with you for your international flight home - it will be covered.  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/free-rapid-covid-test-kits-where-and-when-you-can-get-yours/ar-AARoT8W?ocid=BingNews

• 1 month later...

I am trying to get details on the approval from the FDA to Abbott for an expiration extension to 15 months on their Binax NOW Covid-19 test kits.  Has anybody seen anything more than this which doesn't contain the particular lot number that we have.  Please share if you do.  I am looking for part number 195-100 lot number 148357.  Abbott Letterhead (veeabb.com) 

Turquoisewater, thank you for that info and link.  I have just emailed Abbott with a question as to why my boxes were not included.  I ordered them on Dec 28th and their letter is dated Jan 22!  I also asked them in the email if anything could be done.  I got tests that expire early Nov. 2022, so basically 11 months after my lot 174292 was produced.  I would really appreciate the extra 4 months of expiration time.

On 12/21/2021 at 7:42 AM, Mary229 said:

Did you guys read that starting in mid January the US is requiring insurance companies to pay for at home covid tests.  If you are going to need to carry tests with you for your international flight home - it will be covered.  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/free-rapid-covid-test-kits-where-and-when-you-can-get-yours/ar-AARoT8W?ocid=BingNews

Sorry to have left off my response to Mary229 above.  I think insurance only reimburses a small amount per test (I think I remember about $15?---Don't quote me on that!  LOL)

The Binax Now at home tests are about $35 each and in NYC where I live, the regular at home tests which are not good for travel because not "Observed" are about $25 apiece.  Certainly any reimbursement is better than none however. 

And I, of course, purchased mine about 2 weeks before the law went into effect so I won't be reimbursed anything!

58 minutes ago, lumpkin8 said:

Turquoisewater, thank you for that info and link.  I have just emailed Abbott with a question as to why my boxes were not included.  I ordered them on Dec 28th and their letter is dated Jan 22!  I also asked them in the email if anything could be done.  I got tests that expire early Nov. 2022, so basically 11 months after my lot 174292 was produced.  I would really appreciate the extra 4 months of expiration time.

I think the original batch produced was originally given a 8 month expiration for those lots, but the FDA provided and additional 3 months extension for those specific lots. That list of specific extension lots was available on the Abbott/eMed web sites.

It appears the current shipment have an 11 month expiration, so there will probably not be an extension.

But we all await you posting the response from Abbott to validate.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2022 at 10:16 PM, turquoisewater said:

I am trying to get details on the approval from the FDA to Abbott for an expiration extension to 15 months on their Binax NOW Covid-19 test kits.  Has anybody seen anything more than this which doesn't contain the particular lot number that we have.  Please share if you do.  I am looking for part number 195-100 lot number 148357.  Abbott Letterhead (veeabb.com) 

Thanks for the link to that letter.  It's a strange letter because, as you've seen, it doesn't list all of their lot numbers.  Yours (orig. expiration probably around Oct 2021, yes?) isn't there, nor is the lot number for a couple of mine with orig. expiration date in Nov. 2021, that was on an earlier Abbott letter from last spring, when the FDA approved a 3-month extension of the original 9-month expiration dates.  Yet on the letter you linked are other lot numbers with the same original expiration date in Nov. 2021 as mine. 

I think this letter simply isn't a complete list of all lots.  I doubt it matters -- the critical language in the letter is this: "All BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Card Kits currently have a fifteen-month expiry date."