Abbott BinaxNOW Covid test expiration

sambamama

2 hours ago, roxybear135 said:

I went to buy the tests from eMed for my upcoming cruise and it has me enter the names of me and my passengers to verify we are eligible to use those tests.  I believe I can get the cost of the tests partially reimbursed by my insurance but worry that if there's other people's names attached to the tests that they might deny my insurance claim.  Does it matter if I input their names into eMed when I purchase the tests or can I just buy them all under my name and give some to my passengers to use?

2 hours ago, roxybear135 said:

I went to buy the tests from eMed for my upcoming cruise and it has me enter the names of me and my passengers to verify we are eligible to use those tests.  I believe I can get the cost of the tests partially reimbursed by my insurance but worry that if there's other people's names attached to the tests that they might deny my insurance claim.  Does it matter if I input their names into eMed when I purchase the tests or can I just buy them all under my name and give some to my passengers to use?

I sent the receipt from eMed for my $180 6 pack to my HMO Kaiser, filling out the lengthy form.  It didn't ask who the tests were for, but I did state my husband and I were using them.  I also stated that one can't get a rapid test in my area.  I was pleasantly surprised when I got a check from them for the full amount!  We will use 2 of the remaining 4 tests for our Sea of Cortez cruise this month.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, margretha said:

Renig,

Totally off topic question: where is this wonderful quote from? It is the best thing I've read today!

Thank you.

Margretha

Margretha I have had it in my signature for a longggg time and can't remember where I got it from.  I do though still believe it is a good way to live one's life.  Sometimes difficult to do, but never impossible.

12 hours ago, regnig said:

Margretha I have had it in my signature for a longggg time and can't remember where I got it from.  I do though still believe it is a good way to live one's life.  Sometimes difficult to do, but never impossible.

Using a search on DuckDuckGo I found the author's name is Jose N. Harris.  

https://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/4631437.Jos_N_Harris

12 hours ago, Loreto said:

I sent the receipt from eMed for my $180 6 pack to my HMO Kaiser, filling out the lengthy form…I was pleasantly surprised when I got a check from them for the full amount!…

That’s great, thanks for sharing!

I just read this article that in the near future at-home tests will be reimbursable for all those with private insurance. It doesn’t have specifics, but there will be an announcement today. See more here.

I have just read the posts in this thread and I find it amazing that people are willing to jump thru all these hoops just to cruise again. And now with the Omnicron variant....things will get worse before they get better. As if planning a cruise along with airfares, hotels, etc. isn't stressful enough; now there is the issue with these tests.

And with these ships, from what I have read here, sailing at only 40-60%  capacity; I do not see how long the cruise lines can continue to operate. 

We have decided to wait until things return to pre pandemic status. No masks or pre boarding tests....which could result in false + tests.

And if things never return to pre pandemic conditions?

We will spend our vacation $$$$$ elsewhere.

I and many others REFUSE to jump thru these hoops. 

Have fun.

Edited by cruisetheworld67
spelling

16 hours ago, sambamama said:

Buying a test kit and expecting it not to expire for three months is not an unreal expectation. Consumers have a right to expect a product to do what it is designed for.  Emed designed these products to be used for travel.  If you are selling them in a quantity of six, you wouldn't be using them all right away. 

A correction to the above statements:

Emed did not "design" the kits for travel. Emed had nothing to do with the production of the kits.

Abbott is the manufacturer and is the entity which obtained FDA approval (Emergency Use Authorization) for a HOME test kit.

Emed and other sites selling the kits are distributors. The kits are shipped from Abbott to the wholesalers and then to the retail sites (store or on line).

The packs of two, six or whatever multiple of the kits are intended for use by individuals who may need to test (and retest in several days) or have several people needing the test .

Unfortunately, we have a problem with the medical naivete of many who are buying a home test kit for the first time and do not understand the supply chain and purposes of expiry dates and  storage conditions to ensure the stability of the test reagents.

Go to any brick and mortar site and check the expiry dates of  home test kits available for purchase such as pregnancy, drug use, and  Covid 19. The expiry dates on those products which are intended for use at  home will be short term at the point of purchase  because of the logistics of getting the product from point of manufacture to the point of sale.

There is no consumer fraud in the expiry date of the kits shipped to consumer, only a misconception by those using a home test kit that contain reagents for the first time  and not understanding that they are not intended to be stored for a long period of time after purchase.

As far as travel goes, if one is gong to travel with a home kit, please make sure that the storage conditions on the package are maintained. That means no out of range storage in checked luggage in airplanes or storage in a suitcase in a car trunk. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, syesmar said:

I just read this article that in the near future at-home tests will be reimbursable for all those with private insurance. It doesn’t have specifics, but there will be an announcement today. See more here.

FREE AT-HOME TESTING COMING (USA)

Here's more about the announcement today that in the near future, at-home tests will be free to many Americans (link). Look under the section "Expanding Free At-Home Testing for Americans." It's not clear yet if this will apply to travel/cruising.

Well, I'm not refusing to jump through the hoops!  I'm perfectly willing to get vaccinations, wear a mask, be tested, get booster shots and do whatever it takes.  We have to adapt.  I'm not going to sit and wait for a return to The Good Old Days.

I want to travel.  I NEED to travel.  I'm not putting my life on hold hoping things get back to "normal."  I'm finally going to semi-retire.  Now is the time to get out there and I'm not waiting any longer.

I would think it would be obvious by now that we have no guarantee that the next wave of whatever virus that comes along won't wipe out many more people. 

I'm just glad I have a local pharmacy that provides the rapid test.  All of the Walgreens and CVSs within about a 45 minute drive only do the PCR test.

I will use eMed a week from today and fly to FLL next Friday to board my 2nd cruise in under a month.

• Like 5

We ordered the box of six and are having no trouble going through them before they expire.  Other than for travel, they don't necessarily have to be done under medical supervision.  Every time someone in our family gets cold or flu symptoms, we test them.  There have been a lot of bugs going around.  I'm glad we had the tests on hand.

• Like 2

Back in September I purchased a box of 6 of the eMed Abbott At Home tests for a then upcoming 21 day cruise from SEA-FLL.  That used 2 tests and went well.  I thought at the time I would be eating the cost of the unused tests.  But lo and behold, we booked another shorter cruise on the Rotterdam which just concluded and that used 2 more tests.  While onboard the Rotterdam, we then booked another cruise departing from San Diego in Jan, '22 and our remaining 2 tests will be used up.  With perfect 20/20 hindsight, I'm glad we purchased the 6.  It's wonderful to get back to cruising and after the January cruise, we will have been cruising for over 2 months since the resumption of cruise activity.  It's the one small thing we can do to help the crew members who have been out of work for some 18-24 months.

• Like 4

I bought the 6-pack of home tests and finally opened the shipping box today. I downloaded the NAVICA app and read that even though it says a 6-month expiration apparently they are now good for one year. We will do a practice test before we leave and will still have two tests to take with us to do before our cruise. At this point, I am excited to have this upcoming cruise to look forward to and am willing to do whatever I need to do to be able to go. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, AnnieBelle said:

I bought the 6-pack of home tests and finally opened the shipping box today. I downloaded the NAVICA app and read that even though it says a 6-month expiration apparently they are now good for one year. We will do a practice test before we leave and will still have two tests to take with us to do before our cruise. At this point, I am excited to have this upcoming cruise to look forward to and am willing to do whatever I need to do to be able to go. 

=====

A favor please.   Can you slide the sleeve sideways and tell us the expiration date.   The date is next to the hour glass which is the stated expiration date.   Some of us are waiting to purchase.

Thanks

Peter

@SFO PETERthe expiration date is11-19-21 which is crazy because I ordered them on 11-11-21! They were manufactured on 3-19-21. I’m reading that the expiration date is one year from the manufactured date. I guess I’ll contact e-med and make sure this is true. We need to test on 12-21-21. Has anyone else been told it’s now a 12-month expiration?

1 hour ago, AnnieBelle said:

@SFO PETERthe expiration date is11-19-21 which is crazy because I ordered them on 11-11-21! They were manufactured on 3-19-21. I’m reading that the expiration date is one year from the manufactured date. I guess I’ll contact e-med and make sure this is true. We need to test on 12-21-21. Has anyone else been told it’s now a 12-month expiration?

====

There is a three month extension from the expiration date.   So if your package date is 11-19-21 the expiration date should be 2-19-22.   emed can confirm the expiration date.

Thanks for the reply.

Peter

Just now, my husband and I tried to do the emed tests and when we went to the emed.com site and hit ‘start testing’ it went to the next page and that page was blank.  It went to the blank page each time we tried and the page stayed blank. We tried on 2 different iPads and a phone and the same thing happens. Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a way around it??? Help!

29 minutes ago, cruisin'mama said:

Just now, my husband and I tried to do the emed tests and when we went to the emed.com site and hit ‘start testing’ it went to the next page and that page was blank.  It went to the blank page each time we tried and the page stayed blank. We tried on 2 different iPads and a phone and the same thing happens. Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a way around it??? Help!

=====

Did you download the Navica account?

Peter

20 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

Well, I'm not refusing to jump through the hoops!  I'm perfectly willing to get vaccinations, wear a mask, be tested, get booster shots and do whatever it takes.  We have to adapt.  I'm not going to sit and wait for a return to The Good Old Days.

I want to travel.  I NEED to travel.  I'm not putting my life on hold hoping things get back to "normal."  I'm finally going to semi-retire.  Now is the time to get out there and I'm not waiting any longer.

I would think it would be obvious by now that we have no guarantee that the next wave of whatever virus that comes along won't wipe out many more people. 

I'm just glad I have a local pharmacy that provides the rapid test.  All of the Walgreens and CVSs within about a 45 minute drive only do the PCR test.

I will use eMed a week from today and fly to FLL next Friday to board my 2nd cruise in under a month.

My feelings exactly.  With FCC needing to be used by end of Dec for a cruise no later than end of 2022, waiting for all COVID restrictions to clear only means one thing:  total loss of FCC because restrictions are likely to continue far into 2022.

Even if Omicron turns out to be no worse than Delta, it is inevitable more variants will follow.  I might be at more risk going to the local W-mart/Target/Grocery or restaurant as going on a fully vaccinated, covid-tested, continually sanitized cruise.

• Like 1

I have tests that are expiring 17 December 2021.  I called emed today and they said to call back after they expire and they will take care of me.  It sounded like they would send tests that expire in February 2022.  I will update this post in two weeks with the results and if there is any cost.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jeffsnoy said:

I have tests that are expiring 17 December 2021.  I called emed today and they said to call back after they expire and they will take care of me.  It sounded like they would send tests that expire in February 2022.  I will update this post in two weeks with the results and if there is any cost.

=====

slide the sleeve back and look at the hour glass date.  So far there is a three month expiration extension from the hour glass date.   See prior posts.

Peter

Does anyone know if the Abbott BinaxNow from WalMart are accepted?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/BinaxNOW-COVID-19-Antigen-Self-Test-2-Count/142089281

I bought them yesterday for a cruise tomorrow and now im worried it wont be accepted. Do you bring the physical negative test with you or is there something else i need to include?

43 minutes ago, Unlvswezel said:

Does anyone know if the Abbott BinaxNow from WalMart are accepted?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/BinaxNOW-COVID-19-Antigen-Self-Test-2-Count/142089281

I bought them yesterday for a cruise tomorrow and now im worried it wont be accepted. Do you bring the physical negative test with you or is there something else i need to include?

====

you need results from a medically supervised test.   Go find a pharmacy or clinic that will do a medically supervised Rapid Antigen test in less than half an hour.

Peter

Edited by SFO PETER
  • Like 1

You are correct that I made a mistake and Abbott makes the tests, and Emed is one of the companies marketing them.  Abbott may have designed them for home test use, and they most likely did. However, Emed is MARKETING some of them for TRAVEL USE-not home use.  And promoting a one year expiration date, and then selling them them tests that expire well short of that without clearly stating that is consumer fraud. And now that the US has shortened testing to the day before flying home internationally, this will become even more of a problem.  Note I have nothing against the tests-I just want people to know what they are buying.  The website needs to clearly state the kits that people purchase may not expire in a year-they may expire in a month to three months. A pregnancy test kit is something most everyone is going to use at home, and usually going to use in a quick time frame.  You usually don't buy six at a time and have them shippped for $179!

I just reviewed the current Emed website.  First, it states tests are required within 3 days-not one.  It automatically directs you to order kits.  You have one option-the kits of six.  It never mentions you should review the FAQS.  The expiration FAQ has a letter saying that the kits have a shelf life of one year.  Most people, if they get to the FAQs, will only click on that (as that is what I did-there was more there when I bought mine, additional pages of various expiration dates, but those pages were taken down the day after I wrote two officials in the company saying the website was deceptive.)  The refund FAQ says absolutely no refunds will be issued for any reasons, and that you may get kits that expire in December 2021.  This definitely would qualify as deceptive advertising in MA and CT, and I stand by my statement that Emed is engaging in consumer fraud-at least in CT and MA!