Abbott BinaxNOW Covid test expiration

sambamama

3 hours ago, SFO PETER said:

====

you need results from a medically supervised test.   Go find a pharmacy or clinic that will do a medically supervised Rapid Antigen test in less than half an hour.

Peter

Thanks. Such an added cost where I live. $125 vs $15…none of my local RX do rapid

For those of you who ordered the at home tests from emed, how long did they take to ship?  I ordered mine on Monday, they were approved on Tuesday, and I haven't heard anything since then.  Our cruise is at the end of the month, so I'm hoping there won't be any issues with them coming by then.

1 hour ago, roxybear135 said:

For those of you who ordered the at home tests from emed, how long did they take to ship?  I ordered mine on Monday, they were approved on Tuesday, and I haven't heard anything since then.  Our cruise is at the end of the month, so I'm hoping there won't be any issues with them coming by then.

I believe it took 1 day to order and get our prescriptions and 2 days later got a shipping notification. Another day to get next day delivery.  So I would guess 4 days. Maybe 5. We ordered from emed also. 

• Like 1

Mine only took a couple of days but I ordered them in October, I think.

Just did a test for my Saturday sailing.  I had purchased a 3-pack thru Optum.  I've now used 2 tests and the 3rd will expire on 12-19, so no use for my January cruise.  I'll just use it as a self-test when I get home so I can spend Christmas Eve with family.

I may just buy the pharmacy version for post-cruise testing.  I found a local pharmacy (that's located in an Ace Hardware store) that's only 2 miles from my house.  None of the Walgreens or CVS stores around me (and they seem to be on every corner) do the rapid test.  The pharmacy test was free (I used it before my Eurodam sailing last month), so just don't see any point in buying the self-tests.  I'll leave that inventory for those who actually need to purchase them.

I ordered on Tuesday while waiting to disembark from a Princess cruise and received the order this morning around 11:00am.    This is our 3rd order the 2nd took longer because of the heatwave in California.   Tests expire February 3.

On 12/4/2021 at 10:49 AM, sambamama said:

You are correct that I made a mistake and Abbott makes the tests, and Emed is one of the companies marketing them.  Abbott may have designed them for home test use, and they most likely did. However, Emed is MARKETING some of them for TRAVEL USE-not home use.  And promoting a one year expiration date, and then selling them them tests that expire well short of that without clearly stating that is consumer fraud. And now that the US has shortened testing to the day before flying home internationally, this will become even more of a problem.  Note I have nothing against the tests-I just want people to know what they are buying.  The website needs to clearly state the kits that people purchase may not expire in a year-they may expire in a month to three months. A pregnancy test kit is something most everyone is going to use at home, and usually going to use in a quick time frame.  You usually don't buy six at a time and have them shippped for $179!

I just reviewed the current Emed website.  First, it states tests are required within 3 days-not one.  It automatically directs you to order kits.  You have one option-the kits of six.  It never mentions you should review the FAQS.  The expiration FAQ has a letter saying that the kits have a shelf life of one year.  Most people, if they get to the FAQs, will only click on that (as that is what I did-there was more there when I bought mine, additional pages of various expiration dates, but those pages were taken down the day after I wrote two officials in the company saying the website was deceptive.)  The refund FAQ says absolutely no refunds will be issued for any reasons, and that you may get kits that expire in December 2021.  This definitely would qualify as deceptive advertising in MA and CT, and I stand by my statement that Emed is engaging in consumer fraud-at least in CT and MA!  

I bought a 3-pack from Optum, which appears to be tied to EMed.  The 3 pack was $99, shipping included.  They also offered a 2-pack for $75 (might have been $70).  The Abbott extension dates took the kit expirations to mid February.  We'll use them tomorrow morning, monitored through their Navica app...in prep for Eurodam departure this Wed!

Sorry if this question has been answered earlier...Just wondering about purchasing the tests.  I can order from E-med, but it says the expiration date is February 1.  Just wondering if the 3 months extension is added on to make it that date?  Thank you.  karen

7 minutes ago, ktbraun said:

Sorry if this question has been answered earlier...Just wondering about purchasing the tests.  I can order from E-med, but it says the expiration date is February 1.  Just wondering if the 3 months extension is added on to make it that date?  Thank you.  karen

======

I believe as much.   Don't see anyone with test expiring beyond Feb 2022.    I have cruises January and April and waiting to see if can get expiration date beyond February before buying.   The expiration that is stated on the box is extended by three months.    So now if we can find someone who sells the test and who can tell us the printed expiration date we can calculate the definite expiration date.

Peter

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, SFO PETER said:

======

I believe as much.   Don't see anyone with test expiring beyond Feb 2022.    I have cruises January and April and waiting to see if can get expiration date beyond February before buying.   The expiration that is stated on the box is extended by three months.    So now if we can find someone who sells the test and who can tell us the printed expiration date we can calculate the definite expiration date.

Peter

Here's a link to the Points Guy article on how to determine the test revised expiration date.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/at-home-covid-tests-expiry/

Our last two tests are good through January 5, 2022 and fortunately we will use the tests on 12/31 for a cruise beginning on 1/2/22.

• Thanks 1

Optum clearly states their expiration dates on the product's page.

As a side note, I went to take one of my tests, for safety sake after an out of town adventure, and when I scanned it to start the test I was informed it was expired. This was 2 days ago and that did coincide with 3 months from the date on the box.

15 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

Optum clearly states their expiration dates on the product's page.

As a side note, I went to take one of my tests, for safety sake after an out of town adventure, and when I scanned it to start the test I was informed it was expired. This was 2 days ago and that did coincide with 3 months from the date on the box.

Did they provide the results verbally only due to it being expired or did you bother contacting them with it expired?

3 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

Did they provide the results verbally only due to it being expired or did you bother contacting them with it expired?

I didn't bother with the proctored test after the expiration notice. There was a free community site that was available, so I went there.

• Thanks 1

JUST RECEIVED A NEWLY MANUFACTURED 3 PACK TEST KIT!

Ordered through the Optum store on December 15th.

Delivered on December 17.

Manufacture Date:  2021-12-03.

Expiration Date: 2022-10-13.

The website did have the caveat that tests could be expiring as soon as early February.

I hope this is a sign that the 'expired' tests inventory is now empty.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, capriccio said:

The website did have the caveat that tests could be expiring as soon as early February.

====

This is very good news regarding the expiration date.  This has to be the true expiration date.

Thanks

Peter

This is what I just found on the Optum store, which is where we bought ours on October 2021 and came with an expiration date of September 2021.

Currently available test kits may expire as early as February 3, 2022. Please allow up to three business days for delivery. Ships via expedited service within the U.S. only. May not be purchased with other items.

This is accepted by airlines for passengers returning to the U.S. from a trip abroad or with cruise lines with ships originating from the U.S.

• Abbott BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test is FDA Emergency Use Authorized. This test combined with eMed telehealth services, and eMed lab's result, meets conditions of proof of negative COVID-19 test by the CDC.
  • Note: All BinaxNOW Covid-19 tests originally expired after nine months. However, the FDA subsequently issued guidance allowing tests to remain effective for an additional three months. Upon receipt of your tests, please check the listed expiration date - the actual expiration will be three months after that date. For example, a test with a listed expiration date of November 1, 2021 will actually expire on February 1, 2022.

3 hours ago, capriccio said:

So if we buy them at the end of December we may get the new batch that expires in October?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, travellovers2 said:

So if we buy them at the end of December we may get the new batch that expires in October?

That was my experience this week!

We had ordered them in case we can't get a free test at Walgreens or CVS on New Years Eve or New Years Day for our January 2 cruise realizing if I was successful I was blowing $99 (3 pack price) on the BinaxNow that would expire a month later.  Now we have a backup for 2 more future cruises booked for March and July 2022.

• Like 1

I need to order tests for 5 people for a cruise at the end of February. How exactly does that work, do I have to enter names and date of birth to purchase? Can I order a 3 pack and a 2 pack to cover all of us? Sounds like better to order from OptumRx as no tax and shipping as opposed to ordering from Emed. Any input is much appreciated.

15 minutes ago, SUESEABE said:

I need to order tests for 5 people for a cruise at the end of February. How exactly does that work, do I have to enter names and date of birth to purchase? Can I order a 3 pack and a 2 pack to cover all of us? Sounds like better to order from OptumRx as no tax and shipping as opposed to ordering from Emed. Any input is much appreciated.

For 5 people  would order the 6 pack from eMed.com ($150), When you order - you need to put in a couple of names as these are prescription tests, and they need to generate a prescription for them...However...there is no connection to who actually takes the test so you would be good to go with your 5 people - with one spare - Just in case something goes amiss. the single 6 pack is cheaper than a 3 pack and 2-Pack from Optum.com. Same product - just different package sizes.

Each person needs to set up a Navica account with their own email, but it can be done on a single computer/cell Phone.

Edited by RGEDad
  • Thanks 1

When I bought from OptumRx nothing was said about prescription.   They just needed my credit card, Name and address.   I made two purchases at different times from OptumRx.   I gave two tests away to friends who used them for their cruise.

@RGEDad  @capriccio Thanks so much for the replies. I will go with the 6 pack. I think I will also try to schedule us for home appointments two days ahead and use these for back-up (just to reduce my own stress level). We fly to FLL one day ahead so I will feel better having test available on my person.