Westbound full transit -- port or starboard

mfabz

Which ship?  Old locks or new?  Scroll down this page and several more.  Lots of threads about this.  Consensus is that if you are only going to stay on your balcony, you will miss 75% of the views.  You have to get out and move around.  If I really had to be glued to my balcony, for the old locks I would choose port side for westbound.  But that doesn’t protect you from being in the starboard side locks, and having you portside view filled with a huge RoRo or container ship.  EM

• Thanks 1

Pick your cabin based on your preference on your use during the rest of the cruise.  Unless there are mobility issues there is a lot to miss if you homestead your balcony.  A good time for the balcony would be after your ship clears the Atlantic Locks (Gatun or Agua Clara?), that would be the best time to see oncoming ship traffic if you select the port side balcony.  I too would favor the port side in that direction,  but that doesn't mean the starboard side is a wasteland with horrible views😉.  Lots to see, take it all in!

Good advice above that on a westbound (southbound, really) transit, a port side balcony will give you a good vantage point for seeing the oncoming traffic when you are crossing Gatun Lake.  And since it's often lunchtime by then, you might find it a good time for a little breather. Grab some food, enjoy it on your balcony, and watch the huge and often unusual ships go by.   Other than that, as said above, don't hang out on your balcony during the transit! ☺️

00-m8Z7QgQNSN1pSiWVw3FAIG1nv5s5FgYR4GzGtunnUQY_PAQR1fsO-eQFG9Wlfgeq?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1548361218

(photo by turtles06)