So confused...please confirm Vaccine requirements

Sistersinlaw

I'm so confused.  Can someone please confirm the requirements for Carnival ships leaving out of Florida: 

1 - Husband has 2 doses of Astra Zeneca.  Is he allowed to cruise out of US as AZ is approved by WHO?

2 - I have 1 dose of AZ and 1 dose of Pfizer.  Am I allowed to cruise out of US? (I believe I am not - so I have to say I am not vaccinated on the vaccination form and cross my fingers that I get allowed on as "un-vaccinated"?)

Thanks so much

35 minutes ago, Sistersinlaw said:

I'm so confused.  Can someone please confirm the requirements for Carnival ships leaving out of Florida: 

1 - Husband has 2 doses of Astra Zeneca.  Is he allowed to cruise out of US as AZ is approved by WHO?

2 - I have 1 dose of AZ and 1 dose of Pfizer.  Am I allowed to cruise out of US? (I believe I am not - so I have to say I am not vaccinated on the vaccination form and cross my fingers that I get allowed on as "un-vaccinated"?)

Thanks so much

You are not considered vaccinated 

image.thumb.png.4ec13b81d875d11cad1940d4aedb5a65.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sistersinlaw said:

Unfortunately, unless you are under the age of 12, you cannot apply for an exemption.

You are considered unvaccinated.   As far as exemptions, they are currently only considering children under 12 who can not get vaccinated or adults that have a doctor's note that they can not be due to medical reasons.   I would suggest that you go get an additional shot or either pfizer or astra zeneca. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, abby1257 said:

So if someone has 2 doses of AstraZeneca …they can cruise?..

Yep. It is the same type of vaccine and requires two doses. So if you have two doses of AZ you are considered vaccinated in the eyes of the CDC>

AZ is not a common vaccine in the U.S. and since Carnival's clients are mostly Americans, and of course AZ was never really used in the U.S. that is why it's not listed as an option.

But as stated above two doses of AZ is approve by WHO.

The issue is those that have AZ and Pfizer or Moderna.

And if you are in Canada it depends on which province you live in as to whether or not you can get a third dose. It's not as easy as you think 😞

9 hours ago, crazy4themouse said:

Unfortunately, unless you are under the age of 12, you cannot apply for an exemption.

When cruising began in July you could get an exemption but now that many Caribbean islands are requiring THE ENTIRE cruise ship to be vaccinated (those 12 and over) you can't get an exemption.

38 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

When cruising began in July you could get an exemption but now that many Caribbean islands are requiring THE ENTIRE cruise ship to be vaccinated (those 12 and over) you can't get an exemption.

I'm not sure why you quoted me... But yes, that is why I said that the OP could not cruise. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sistersinlaw said:

Thanks so much

You are unvaccinated under the CDC criteria.

• Like 1

Hmmm - Maybe I jumped the gun today, but we booked a cruise for November out of Miami on the Sunrise.  We assumed we are both fully vaccinated but we each received one shot of Pfizer and one shot of Moderna.  Are we ok or not?  Our province (BC) is not currently offering 3rd doses.  Hope I did not make a serious mistake.

Thanks for your help.

Don

11 minutes ago, Mud_Shark said:

Hmmm - Maybe I jumped the gun today, but we booked a cruise for November out of Miami on the Sunrise.  We assumed we are both fully vaccinated but we each received one shot of Pfizer and one shot of Moderna.  Are we ok or not?  Our province (BC) is not currently offering 3rd doses.  Hope I did not make a serious mistake.

Thanks for your help.

Don

You're fine with that combo -- see the excerpt from the Carnival protocols that @Elaine5715 posted above in post #3.

• Like 2

Thank you.  Just haven't kept up on all the stuff about vaccine requirements, and not sure where to turn for the most up to date info.   

Hopefully another redundant question that all you well-researched cruisers will know, but do cruisers require a Bahama's health visa for any Bahamiam cruise port stops?  Hopefully not, but I cannot readily identify any information that states yes or no definitively.  Cruise departs from Miami.

Don

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mud_Shark said:

Thank you.  Just haven't kept up on all the stuff about vaccine requirements, and not sure where to turn for the most up to date info.   

Hopefully another redundant question that all you well-researched cruisers will know, but do cruisers require a Bahama's health visa for any Bahamiam cruise port stops?  Hopefully not, but I cannot readily identify any information that states yes or no definitively.  Cruise departs from Miami.

Don

We were in the Bahamas (Bimini) on August 30 cruise. No Bahamas Health Visa required that I know of. We will be back on Magic October 7 to Nassau and Half Moon Cay. Was doing a little research about how things were in Nassau now, and if I remember correctly, it’s no required. 

17 hours ago, Mud_Shark said:

Thanks for your help.

Don

You are likely NOT ok under the current guidelines.  Your vaccines must be a 2 shot series of the SAME TYPE in order to be fully vaccinated.  So 1 Pfizer and 1 Moderna would not satisfy that.  

13 minutes ago, DramaQueen22 said:

You are likely NOT ok under the current guidelines.  Your vaccines must be a 2 shot series of the SAME TYPE in order to be fully vaccinated.  So 1 Pfizer and 1 Moderna would not satisfy that.  

12 minutes ago, DramaQueen22 said:

I think you are reading it wrong.  The guidelines state a series of the same type...that means either 2 Pfizer of 2 Moderna, not 1 of each.  

Yes, under Carnival's guideline Pfizer and Moderna can be mixed. If you read the guidelines, it is quite clear.  image.thumb.png.6884fa4cc51ddb3d79637e3c05bf3306.png

• Like 2

I knew Carnival allows Pfizer and Moderna to be mixed. Knowing that I was hoping that we could get Pfizer booster shots despite having had the two dose Moderna vaccine, but alas, I was told no at our local Walgreens. Or at least they would not do that.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2021 at 9:52 AM, Sistersinlaw said:

Thanks so much

You probably will not be allowed to cruise because most of the open ports will not allow the ships to dock if anyone over 12 has not been vaccinated. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

I knew Carnival allows Pfizer and Moderna to be mixed. Knowing that I was hoping that we could get Pfizer booster shots despite having had the two dose Moderna vaccine, but alas, I was told no at our local Walgreens. Or at least they would not do that.

That is a different issue.  Right now they are requiring the same booster as your first two shots since they don't have the research into the effectiveness

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, drafterdw said:

You probably will not be allowed to cruise because most of the open ports will not allow the ships to dock if anyone over 12 has not been vaccinated. 

There is np "probably".  The CDC doesn't accept the AZ with a Pfizer or Moderna combination

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

That is a different issue.  Right now they are requiring the same booster as your first two shots since they don't have the research into the effectiveness

I thought I had previously read (though no longer could find it) that the CDC did not recommend the Pfizer Moderna combination, but would allow it.