What time for flight home?

megs193

14 minutes ago, megs193 said:

My husband and I are sailing on Allure of the Seas in January in a crown loft suite. The cruise leaves out of Fort Lauderdale. Will we be able to make a 10:50 flight out of FLL?  TIA!

As long as you get off the ship as soon as it opens and pending no issues, you should be able to make it.  Airport is only about 10 minutes from the cruise port.  A lot depends on what time they open the ship so people can get off.  

3 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

Rule of thumb is 12:00.  No need to ask.  If before, the percent chance of failing increases every 15 minutes prior.  If after, you would have reached the 100% yes mark, and anything after is good.  This info never changes with any airport or location or ship.

Really?!

14 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

Really?!

yes.  The recommended time for a flight is and always been 12:00 or later.  The average time you should be in an airport is at least 2 hours early, which is 10:00.  So, you need at least an hour for the process of getting off a ship, getting a taxi and traveling to airport.  Sometimes you need more than an hour for that process.  So, that puts you to be safe about leaving at 8:00.  Now I know you can leave earlier but usually not before 7:00. Some airports might be closer or farther, but regardless, the 12:00 time is standard.  ( I missed a flight once even when I arrived 2 hours early due to delays in checking in, security etc). 

I also had ships have slight delays for fog.  

I had a delay once for lack of custom officers.

I had a ship delayed for wind.

Edited by Joseph2017China

13 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

This flight would work if all goes perfect with be able to get off the ship right away.   Do you have TSA pre-check to speed up the process?  

We do have TSA pre-check but now I’m nervous. The next flight leaves at 2pm so we were hoping the 10:50 would work but it’s not worth the stress. 

Are you checking bags? That can cause wrinkles. Either if you don't carry them off and they are not taken off the ship enough -or- there are cut off times for checking bags at the airport, So even if you have enough time to make the flight the computers have locked down so they can't check in your bags. 

Also don't forget pretty much every airline closes the door at least 15 mins before takeoff. So you'd need to be at your gate before 10:35.

32 minutes ago, megs193 said:

We do have TSA pre-check but now I’m nervous. The next flight leaves at 2pm so we were hoping the 10:50 would work but it’s not worth the stress. 

Majority of cruisers have been saying they are able to walk off the ship and get to their car in 15 to 30 minutes at most.   So if you are off the ship by approx. 8 am, grab a taxi that are always sitting outside waiting you should have no problem with a 10:50 am.     TSA pre-check definitely helps.    

The earliest we have done out of FLL was 11:00 and we were just fine - we were able to get a snack (like we were starving after a cruise-Ha) and relax before boarding.      

We have also done 2 pm flights and totally hated having nothing to do for several hours so the next time we ended up going to the Embassy Suites and lounging by their pool for a couple hours then took an uber to the FLL airport.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

Rule of thumb is 12:00.  No need to ask.  If before, the percent chance of failing increases every 15 minutes prior.  If after, you would have reached the 100% yes mark, and anything after is good.  This info never changes with any airport or location or ship.

What??? You're saying that the timing (12:00) is the same for Ravenna/Venice (2-3 hour drive, likely international flight) as it is for Ft. Lauderdale (10 minute drive)?

Edited by time4u2go

3 hours ago, smplybcause said:

Are you checking bags? That can cause wrinkles. Either if you don't carry them off and they are not taken off the ship enough -or- there are cut off times for checking bags at the airport, So even if you have enough time to make the flight the computers have locked down so they can't check in your bags. 

Also don't forget pretty much every airline closes the door at least 15 mins before takeoff. So you'd need to be at your gate before 10:35.

When we returned to FLL from our Allure cruise back in the good old pre COVID days of December 2019, Royal offered the check the bags in on the ship and you'll see them again at your home airport service.  There was a charge for it.  But, it worked as advertised.  Don't know if they are still offering this service.  If they are an they can accommodate the 10:50 flight time that would save you having to reclaim them when departing the ship. 

3 hours ago, smplybcause said:

We usually don’t check bags and have spent 16 nights in Europe with carry on size bags but this trip we were planning on checking one with nicer clothes because we enjoy dressing up for dinner. Is there a limit to the size suitcase you can pull off a ship? 

1 hour ago, megs193 said:

We usually don’t check bags and have spent 16 nights in Europe with carry on size bags but this trip we were planning on checking one with nicer clothes because we enjoy dressing up for dinner. Is there a limit to the size suitcase you can pull off a ship? 

Not as long as you yourself can pull it. Elevator space is usually the biggest problem, but likely not an issue with a suite. (I haven't been in one to know for sure lol)

So it'd just be making sure you have enough time to check it at the airport. I'm not familiar with FLL, but I know some airlines are better at that than others depending on airport. 

Knowing that you are in a suite where they can walk you off the ship, and the airport is very close, you should be fine.  

Pro tip:  If you have US customs Global Entry, they have a special line for you at Port Everglades where you can basically bypass customs.  But you need to bring your Global Entry Trusted Traveler card.  Then at the airport, you will have TSA precheck.

3 hours ago, SF Cfan said:

When we returned to FLL from our Allure cruise back in the good old pre COVID days of December 2019, Royal offered the check the bags in on the ship and you'll see them again at your home airport service.  There was a charge for it.  But, it worked as advertised.  Don't know if they are still offering this service.  If they are an they can accommodate the 10:50 flight time that would save you having to reclaim them when departing the ship. 

We will be on the Allure on Nov.14th.  I checked on this service and was told it is not available.  Sure would be nice if it was!

1 hour ago, Lou33 said:

Knowing that you are in a suite where they can walk you off the ship, and the airport is very close, you should be fine.  

Pro tip:  If you have US customs Global Entry, they have a special line for you at Port Everglades where you can basically bypass customs.  But you need to bring your Global Entry Trusted Traveler card.  Then at the airport, you will have TSA precheck.

My husband has global entry but unfortunately I only have TSA precheck. My plan was to apply for global entry last year when my TSA precheck needed to be renewed but because of covid I decided to just renew my precheck since I was able to do that online. 

Our choice for a flight out of Fort Lauderdale on Southwest was 11:00 or 6:00 pm.  We took the 11:00.  We have done it once before and got to the gate at 10.  It’s a bit nerve wracking.  We are not in a suite but will do luggage self assist and have TSA pre check.  As long as the ship clears on time we should be okay. 

6 p.m. is not a great time for a flight.  You either sit all day at the airport (which we won’t do) or get a day room or rent a car….extra expense and just kind of wastes the day.  

I would not try to do this at another airport.  But FFL is close.  Grab a cab and go.

If we do luggage self assist, can we leave the ship "anytime" after it clears?

We have a 12:00 flight out of San Juan with our ship arriving at 7:00.  I was thinking we should do luggage self assist to be safe.  But I was hoping that we could have a chance to get an early breakfast and go when we are ready without having to wait for our tag numbers to be called.  

9 hours ago, George C said:

I would want a flight at noon or after, but odds are you will be ok.

Odds...a funny thing.  Usually work but that ONE or TWO times it doesn't is a real bummer.  Been there...

For a FLL departure I would stick to tried and true advice of no sooner than noon.  I HAVE missed an 11:15 flight due too rough seas. You CAN NOT control the weather... Don't take the risk - travel insurance won't cover it...