COVID testing for a Monday cruise - Lab closed weekends

sd63

I'm sailing on a Monday and am having the same problem.  I can't get a test locally because the two pharmacies in town don't give rapid tests. The closest CVS pharmacies are in Reno and they don't do rapid tests on the weekends. I have an appointment at the Reno airport (120 miles away). They charge $60 each paid upfront. Hopefully that works because I am unable to find a backup.

1 minute ago, shibby sails said:

I thought they are accepting the Emed Binax at home test. Backup option.

The Abbott BinaxNow AG test is a monitored test, which I know is what Princess requires and probably Carnival as well. It's available through Emed and Optum. I think Emed only sells it in six packs, while Optum sells in twos or threes. This test is our alternate plan B.

• Like 1

I can’t seem to find the current Carnical Covid protocols. Trying to decide if I should book or not, depending on what the protocol is. Looks like we have to get a test result within a day of cruising?  Is that the only requirement at this time sailing out of Florida?

I'm also sailing on a Monday.  I'm worried too.  My area has walk up and some drive up testing 7 days a week.   Earlier this year I had saliva testing on a Saturday at 12:30pm and was told results would come in 1-2 days via email.   I actually got the results that next day, Sunday morning at 6:30am.  I'm hoping I can get a test Saturday morning and have the results come in on Sunday before I head to Florida for my Monday sailing.  Curative Inc. is the walk up/drive up Lab I used and they offer services in different areas in the U.S.  I made the appointment on line, no cost at all.   

Hope everything works out for all of us that are sailing.

Most minor emergency clinics do the rapid antigen test, results in 20 minutes, they're open on weekends. I called one in my town, they said no appointment required. My doctor said we could get tests at his office but only the PCR which is 1 to 2 days for results. Not risking that! I live in a small town and it has 4 clinics, so most towns would have at least one, I'd think.

I'm a little nervous about this as well.  Our cruise departs on 12/26, so the 48 hours prior will be Christmas Eve and Christmas Day!!!  I'm not sure I'm going to find a place for a test!  I guess we could wait till we get to New Orleans on 12/26, but that makes me SUPER nervous!! 

13 hours ago, lharry said:

I can’t seem to find the current Carnical Covid protocols. Trying to decide if I should book or not, depending on what the protocol is. Looks like we have to get a test result within a day of cruising?  Is that the only requirement at this time sailing out of Florida?

if you go to Carnival’s home page, carnival.com, look at the top left hand corner, there’s an UPDATE on health protocols. Click on that and you’ll find all you need to know about the current requirements for cruising, testing, etc.  The new CDC guidelines are testing negative within 48 hours of sailing. This is actually 2 days, I.e. cruising on Thursday, testing on Tuesday, Wednesday or prior to embarkation Thursday morning.  Hope this answers your questions.

2 hours ago, Bostwick girl said:

if you go to Carnival’s home page, carnival.com, look at the top left hand corner, there’s an UPDATE on health protocols. Click on that and you’ll find all you need to know about the current requirements for cruising, testing, etc.  The new CDC guidelines are testing negative within 48 hours of sailing. This is actually 2 days, I.e. cruising on Thursday, testing on Tuesday, Wednesday or prior to embarkation Thursday morning.  Hope this answers your questions.

https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-guest-protocols?icid=advisory_cruisehealth_072821

Incidentally, the CDC guidance says testing 2 days before departure for vaccinated cruisers, same as the Carnival guidance. Not 48 hours. As you say, any time of day 2 days prior is fine. Don't worry about trying to make it be 48 hours.  

Edited by Earthworm Jim
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, nwcruiselover said:

Also check to be sure the urgent care center will do testing for travel.  The ones in my area are only testing symptomatic people.

Same here. Walgreens, CVS, Walmart all urgent care are only doing PCR testing and that can take up to 72 hours for your results. I already have given the website to check on to see if one is near you. 2 hour results rapid test. Not free. But I sent my bill to Humana which will refund my cost. covidclinic.org You can schedule just about any day and time.

1 minute ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Same here. Walgreens, CVS, Walmart all urgent care are only doing PCR testing and that can take up to 72 hours for your results. I already have given the website to check on to see if one is near you. 2 hour results rapid test. Not free. But I sent my bill to Humana which will refund my cost. covidclinic.org You can schedule just about any day and time.

This is changing regularly for each region. My local Walgreens and CVS's stopped offering rapid tests for travel around 6 weeks ago. Now, some Walgreens in my area have started allowing rapid tests again for travel, but you can only schedule an appointment 2 days out. Not exactly helpful. 

4 hours ago, Disney4us!!! said:

I'm a little nervous about this as well.  Our cruise departs on 12/26, so the 48 hours prior will be Christmas Eve and Christmas Day!!!  I'm not sure I'm going to find a place for a test!  I guess we could wait till we get to New Orleans on 12/26, but that makes me SUPER nervous!! 

New Orleans airport/MSY, may have testing there but, looks you're flying in the day of cruise? Your best bet is just have the proctored home test, others have posted its 24/7.

I would stop worrying about this and just order the BinaxNow test. Urgent cares and other clinics similar are not charging for the test, but they are charging for the visit up to $150. Cover all the bases you can now. If you order from eMed ($165), you could have the tests by tomorrow or Thursday. But you need to get off your duff and order.