Are sugar-free frozen daiquiris available anywhere onboard?

Pellaz

I was recently moved to "diabetic" status from "pre-diabetes" by my doctor.  Currently I'm stable and after recent tests, he has reiterated that mine is controllable by diet.  He also stated that having a drink a day on my cruise would be okay.  (Sadly I can probably wave goodbye to Carnival Warm Melting Cake, though. 😞 )  

Naturally we have a cruise coming up on the Mardi Gras... and naturally we purchased Cheers a long time ago.  My two cruise-friends drink a lot and while I dislike the taste of alcohol and seldom drink normally, I've been known to put away a few frozen "foofy" drinks on my previous cruises; after all, if they got the package, I had to also.   And I don't taste the alcohol much in these "sissy" drinks.  🙂  

The TL;DR:  I know it's possible to have sugar--free (or reduced sugar) daiquiris, but are these mixes available on any ships or at any particular bars?   

--And yes, I know that the alcohol itself would be converted into some sugar.  I'd just like to "limit the damage" some.

I can't answer your question but, I 'd suggest you try the Alchemy Bar. The Alchemists/Mixologists specialize in creating drinks just for you. I think they just might surprise you with a new favorite drink, just let them know a little about what you like and enjoy. Especially with Cheers!

• Like 3

I also cannot answer your question, BUT, you can get a SF warm chocolate melting cake.  Simply contact Special Needs and let them know that you need a SF diet.  Once on board,  you will be able to pre-order for the next day and they will make you one.  No need to go without 🙂 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, jimbo5544 has a live thread from Horizon right now, he posted a picture of an onboard crew member at a podium with a Menu Mate sign. A new, onboard Special Needs crew that can assist with menu planning and requests. Won't be surprised if this will be a standard service across the fleet. Seems like it will be much easier for someone to specialize in meeting guests' needs.

• Like 1

I am not diabetic, but I do eat no sugar/low cab (although I relax this on cruises). I am pretty certain there are no sugar free daiquiris on board, but when I am trying to drink lower carb, I stick to non-flavored liquor with diet mixers like diet coke. It's a myth that alcohol converts to sugar when you drink it, so you are actually good there. It's the mixers that can be the problem.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pellaz said:

I was recently moved to "diabetic" status from "pre-diabetes" by my doctor.  Currently I'm stable and after recent tests, he has reiterated that mine is controllable by diet.......

I'd also be interested in learning which drinks are available that are more health friendly.  In my case I was 'pre diabetic' and was able to go the other way and get into the normal range through diet and daily workouts on an exercise bike.  I'm still wanting to lose a bit more weight and would love to be able to have a drink or two each day while on a cruise and know that I've at least limited the amount of sugar and calories I've consumed.

Count me as another who wishes that they'd offer even a single flavor mix for 'islandy' drinks in sugar free.  I'm fortunate that my sugar aversion is by choice, rather than by medical necessity, but there are many others in a more restrictive situation.  They're plenty good at accommodating in the kitchen, throw us a bone at the bar!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, groundloop said:

I'd also be interested in learning which drinks are available that are more health friendly.  In my case I was 'pre diabetic' and was able to go the other way and get into the normal range through diet and daily workouts on an exercise bike.  I'm still wanting to lose a bit more weight and would love to be able to have a drink or two each day while on a cruise and know that I've at least limited the amount of sugar and calories I've consumed.

My husband keeps telling me if I drank bourbon and water like he does, it would be better for me. But Kiss on the Lips vs. Crown and Water? Kiss on the Lips wins every time! I just don't drink as many of them as I used to. Bloody Mary would be a good choice, just tell them to make you a Sissy one so it's not so spicy hot.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice!   It sounds like I'll probably just have to limit myself to one strawberry daiquiri or Miami Vice per day, since I really don't want to have something that tastes too much of alcohol.  

If I can fight my way up to the Alchemy Bar (it tends to be quite popular), I might see if they can make something palatable for me.  After all, I'll probably have quite a few "unused" drinks on my Cheers for experimentation. 

3 hours ago, Virga said:

Count me as another who wishes that they'd offer even a single flavor mix for 'islandy' drinks in sugar free.  I'm fortunate that my sugar aversion is by choice, rather than by medical necessity, but there are many others in a more restrictive situation.  They're plenty good at accommodating in the kitchen, throw us a bone at the bar!

Boy howdy, truer words were never spoken. 

It's actually a bit surprising that -- judging from the responses in this thread -- they DON'T stock any reduced-calorie or "skinny" daiquiri mixes.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pellaz said:

It's actually a bit surprising that -- judging from the responses in this thread -- they DON'T stock any reduced-calorie or "skinny" daiquiri mixes.  

‘That’s what I was just thinking too.  I’d totally buy those. Lots of ladies would for sure. This is a place where peeps hang out in their swimsuits for days…. Skinny Girl brand type of stuff. There are others now too. 

OP:  Alchemy knows what to make for you, for sure! 

Edited by silvercrikhix
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, grillinchillin said:

Interesting!  I'll have to try one.  

After getting GREAT service from the lady bartender at the Serenity Bar on the Magic, I have a certain fondness for that location.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pellaz said:

Not just a Carnival issue....I have the same problem on Princess too.  And dont get me started on why nobody has sugar free coffee syrup to make a flavored latte!

18 hours ago, Pellaz said:

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice!   It sounds like I'll probably just have to limit myself to one strawberry daiquiri or Miami Vice per day, since I really don't want to have something that tastes too much of alcohol.  

If I can fight my way up to the Alchemy Bar (it tends to be quite popular), I might see if they can make something palatable for me.  After all, I'll probably have quite a few "unused" drinks on my Cheers for experimentation. 

Since you're going to be on the Mardi Gras, two other bars that should be able to accommodate you are the Fortune Teller bar and Brass Magnolia Bar.  These are inside, upscale bars where those making the drinks have a bit of flexibility and should be able to adjust their recipes to your needs.

15 hours ago, grillinchillin said:

Unfortunately those won't be much help to the OP who depends on sweet frozen drinks. Same issue will exist at the Alchemy bar, but at least there you have a huge selection of ingredients with bartenders that know how to use them.

They could make a skinny margarita by substituting Splenda for simple syrup/agave and skipping the triple sec. Just about everything else is being made with pre-made mixes or juices with high sugar content and it isn't like a margarita on the rocks or frozen is similar to the sweetness of a daquiri.

keep in mind that diabetics need low carb , not necessarily low calorie. they are very different. I have been a diabetic for 7 years and control my diabetes by living a ketogenic lifestyle and do not need medication. It will be hard to find low carb 'FrooFroo' drinks. Most of those come from fruit or sugar which doesnt lend itself well to a low carb diet.

While most diabetics will not go the the extreme that I do, I choose to do it so that I will never need medication. Carbs = sugar so all carbs need to be looked at carefully,

Straight alcohol is ok and mixed with diet coke or a flavored water (0 calorie) will work but its not froofroo

Just food for thought.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Jamesatgsu said:

Can't delete the quote box, my apologies.

This likely won't help the OP, because she is hoping to completely mask the taste of the liquor, but for other sugar averse folks:

They make little bottles of concentrated flavorings in every flavor under the sun.  They've really gained popularity recently because people use them to flavor nicotine juice for electronic cigarettes, but they've been around forever for candy and food flavorings.  I bought a spicy ginger flavoring, mixed it with liquid sucralose (Splenda) flavoring, and I add it to whiskey with club soda.  I actually like it better than diet ginger ale with whiskey, and most bars don't carry diet ginger ale anyway.  You can mix up any combination you want - I bet a mixed berry with some pineapple would be delicious!  It doesn't take many drops to completely flavor a drink, so you'd probably want to test it at home with plain water first. 

It looks awfully suspicious - like I'm drugging my own drink - but it lets me drink sugar free at the pub without being limited to plain old whiskey and diet soda.  

• Like 2