Best Wines? - Premium Drink Package

CruisinCorey2525

33 minutes ago, Schmoe38 said:

You can actually view the wines being offered in Luminae, Blu, Main Dining Room as well as the Specialty Restaurants. There is no real guarantee that these selections will be on board, but it does give us hope!

Randy

I'm all over the website but I don't see wine lists.  Is it possible for you to explain how you found them, in the browser?

19 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I like Seghesio Old Vine, Prisoner and Orin Swift 8 Years in the Desert. Can you share a link to this list that you keep referring to?

This one links directly to an undated PDF on their press site. It looks relatively current, but no guarantees. I'd have to dig back, but vtcruising(RIP), did a great review right before the industry went dark with menus from pretty much all the bars. I know I've linked it before, but not sure I can find it.

They don't make it easy...

https://www.celebritycruisespresscenter.com/download-press-kit-item/95/

And vtcruising's post from the Edge

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2662932-edge-wine-lists-and-cocktail-menus-from-restaurants-bars-and-lounges/

33 minutes ago, canderson said:

At the opportunity to 'pick another cruise', you can look at wine lists for current and future sailings of your ship and others by going to the Dining' option for any of them.  If you need screen shots, let us know.  

Got it.  I was not scrolling to the right 😞 

5 minutes ago, canderson said:

That pdf list image from Luminae is a bit dated.  Need to check lists in each available venue, too.  There are overlaps, but a lot of differences, too.

I was worried about that. Wine lists are hard to find, and ship wide lists even harder. I guess I’ll have to try the app at some point! That one did look better than most. 

19 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I'm all over the website but I don't see wine lists.  Is it possible for you to explain how you found them, in the browser?

Have you downloaded the Celebrity Cruises app? If so, I would be pleased to walk you through it.

3 hours ago, RichYak said:

Has anyone discovered any good Zinfandels?

My personal preferences in wine are Zinfandels, the bolder, the better. In fact, if I had to cut it with a steak knife it would not be too bold. For purposes of an everyday pour I’ll mention some of my favorites with $16.00 to $40.00 price points. They are off-dry, intense and lush in varying degrees of elegance.

Not necessarily in order of preference, I enjoy the following.

Rosenblum “Rockpile Road” Zinfandel

The Federalist “Dueling Pistols” Zinfandel

Rombauer Zinfandel

Macchia “Mischievous” Zinfandel

Earthquake Zinfandel

Big Six Bourbon Barrel Zinfandel

There are some mighty fine Cabs in this same category and a few Merlots.

Naturally, for every half-dozen Zins you enjoy, there will be hundreds more you will never get the chance to taste. It’s always good to have the wines that work for you close by. The occasional new pour keeps it interesting.

Edited by Spif Barwunkel
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

In general, wines served by the glass are not the best.   At most we have found one or two wines that are served by the glass to be a "better" wine.  Of course it is all subjective.

If you are picky/discerning about wine, purchasing by the bottle or carry on with corkage fee is the way to get the better wines.

the bev package works great for mixed drinks.

That's why I bring my own onboard. Not interested in any wines from the CBP. I'll pay the upcharge if I have to.

30 minutes ago, EmQ-CA said:

Thanks. Hope they will have it on Silhouette for our Nov 2021 sailing. 🙂

We’re on Silhouette in March 2022 and, in the app, I see it by the glass in Luminae and by the bottle in Blu.

All I can say is “subject to availability.”

Randy

3 hours ago, RichYak said:

Has anyone discovered any good Zinfandels?

Heritage vines from dry creek vineyard is pretty good as is anything from Paso Robles or Russian River Valley. You can't go wrong with those regions. One I'd stay clear of is Beringer white zinfandel; tastes like fruit juice. 

26 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

My personal preferences in wine are Zinfandels, the bolder, the better. In fact, if I had to cut it with a steak knife it would not be too bold. 

Pair it up with Steak Au Poivre and we've got a deal.

Everyone getting hungry?

9 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

That's why I bring my own onboard. Not interested in any wines from the CBP. I'll pay the upcharge if I have to.

Totally understand. I have my favourites stored at home, but I really like to try some of the wines that I have never met before, and Celebrity gives me that chance. Sometimes, it’s a mistake, but often times, I am pleasantly surprised. 

I will often times embarrass myself by asking our sommelier to check the darkest corner of the wine cellar to find a reasonable alternative that is not on the Premium Beverage Package. Sometimes I get that “deer in the headlights” look, but sometimes they rise to the occasion and use the opportunity as a challenge. I am hoping to find that person on our next cruise.

37 minutes ago, Schmoe38 said:

Have you downloaded the Celebrity Cruises app? If so, I would be pleased to walk you through it.

Thanks but I misread.  I'm on the @#$! Infinity.  App not supported.  Really sucks after being on the Equinox where it was supported.

14 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

Heritage vines from dry creek vineyard is pretty good as is anything from Paso Robles or Russian River Valley. You can't go wrong with those regions. One I'd stay clear of is Beringer white zinfandel; tastes like fruit juice. 

Speaking of Paso Robles and moving slightly away from Zinfandels…have you tried Austin Hope Cabernet?

4 minutes ago, Schmoe38 said:

Totally understand. I have my favourites stored at home, but I really like to try some of the wines that I have never met before, and Celebrity gives me that chance. Sometimes, it’s a mistake, but often times, I am pleasantly surprised. 

I will often times embarrass myself by asking our sommelier to check the darkest corner of the wine cellar to find a reasonable alternative that is not on the Premium Beverage Package. Sometimes I get that “deer in the headlights” look, but sometimes they rise to the occasion and use the opportunity as a challenge. I am hoping to find that person on our next cruise.

Can you not just ask for a taste? I've had sommeliers do that for me and if I like it will order a glass. 

Just now, zitsky said:

Thanks but I misread.  I'm on the @#$! Infinity.  App not supported.  Really sucks after being on the Equinox where it was supported.

Just pick any Constellation cruise.  Close as you'll find.  By the time you sail Infinity next year, the list will probably have changed a bit anyway.

7 minutes ago, Schmoe38 said:

Speaking of Paso Robles and moving slightly away from Zinfandels…have you tried Austin Hope Cabernet?

Can't say I have but have heard of it; will check it out. I bought several bottles of a great cab that was reduced called  'Auros'  from Napa Valley with grapes sourced from stags leap district and oakville. I'll be bringing it onboard.  I really plan on trying some of the wonderful wines by the glass that are onboard. I hear they vary by ship. 

8 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

Can't say I have but have heard of it; will check it out. I bought several bottles of a great cab that was reduced called  'Auros'  from Napa Valley with grapes sourced from stags leap district and oakville. I'll be bringing it onboard.  I really plan on trying some of the wonderful wines by the glass that are onboard. I hear they vary by ship. 

Austin Hope is a Vintages offering at the LCBO but is not available all the time. I think the next release is some time in November. It’s around $69 a bottle.

Just checked….5 bottles available at Bay and Bloor (Manulife Centre) in Toronto.

Edited by Schmoe38