Had to cancel our March cruise before final pay, since O is not accepting mixed vax.

jonthomas

We hope this policy changes soon,  as we have other bookings with O and would like to make some more.

Since our govt insisted on the mixed vax, pfizer and moderna in this case, we have been refused by O, but Viking says it may be ok. 

Anyone else in this quagmire. 

1 hour ago, jonthomas said:

Since our govt insisted on the mixed vax, pfizer and moderna in this case

I am guessing that you are Canadian.

Why would you expect that the CDC of the United States would accept a combination of vaccines that has never been tested? Your cruise starts in Miami, FL so you are bound by the regulations of that country..

What province do you live in?

2 hours ago, Robjame said:

I am guessing that you are Canadian.

Why would you expect that the CDC of the United States would accept a combination of vaccines that has never been tested? Your cruise starts in Miami, FL so you are bound by the regulations of that country..

What province do you live in?

I suspect if the WHO would consider people who received mixed vaccines as fully vaccinated that it would be less of a problem.  Two does of AZ are acceptable I believe.

4 hours ago, jonthomas said:

We hope this policy changes soon,  as we have other bookings with O and would like to make some more.

Since our govt insisted on the mixed vax, pfizer and moderna in this case, we have been refused by O, but Viking says it may be ok. 

Actually, Oceania recently changed its policy and now accepts mixed Pfizer and Moderna vaccination with a minimum 28 day interval between jabs for US embarkations or a mix of Pfizer, Moderna  and AZ for non US embarkations.

Look on page 2 of this:

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/sites/default/files/2021-09/sailf-safe-health-program-v16.pdf

For ships embarking or disembarking at U.S. ports: • U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and/or World Health Organization (WHO) authorized single brand vaccination protocol 2 weeks after receipt of the final dose. Including, J&J Janssen, Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, AstraZeneca/Oxford (also known as Covishield and Vaxzervria), Sinopharm BIBP and Sinovac. These vaccines are listed as examples. Refer to FDA or WHO websites for full approved current list. • A mixed vaccination protocol of only Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna combinations (mRNA vaccines) with a minimum interval of 28 days

For all other Vessels departing from a non U.S. port: • Any U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), European Medicines Agency (EMA), or World Health Organization (WHO) authorized single brand vaccination protocol 2 weeks after receipt of the final dose. Including J&J Janssen, Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, AstraZeneca/Oxford (also known as Covishield and Vaxzervria). These vaccines are listed as examples. Refer to FDA, EMA or WHO websites for full approved current list. • A mixed vaccination protocol of only AstraZeneca Vaxzevria, PfizerBioNTech or Moderna combinations with a minimum interval of 28 days

• Like 1

7 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Requirements are changing frequently. I know in other threads where you have discussed this, you say you don’t have a TA. This is really a time when a good, Oceania-connected TA can be invaluable. She will be up on all the requirements, she can go to bat for you and she will often add other perks and benefits which you will not get on your own. Just sayin’.

Now you just have to hope that the Canadian government lifts its ban on cruising. Otherwise getting adequate insurance that covers COVID is near impossible in Canada.

Edited by Robjame

1 hour ago, Robjame said:

Requirements are changing frequently. I know in other threads where you have discussed this, you say you don’t have a TA. This is really a time when a good, Oceania-connected TA can be invaluable. She will be up on all the requirements, she can go to bat for you and she will often add other perks and benefits which you will not get on your own. Just sayin’.

Now you just have to hope that the Canadian government lifts its ban on cruising. Otherwise getting adequate insurance that covers COVID is near impossible in Canada.

For some reason the sentence quoted in your post is attributed to me, when it was actually written by @jonthomas .

For the record, not only do I always use a travel agent, for a number of years one of the businesses I owned was a travel agency. 😉

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Robjame said:

yes and then there is that....

I have friends (Canadian)whose final payment is due next week.  One has Pfizer/Moderna which is now accepted but the other has Astra Zeneca/Pfizer.  I can't find what the refund policy would be if they made their final payment in the hopes that the other combination might be allowed by the time of their cruise.

Has anyone got confirmation that Oceania would refund if the policy doesn't change?

31 minutes ago, cruisingxpert said:

I have friends (Canadian)whose final payment is due next week.  One has Pfizer/Moderna which is now accepted but the other has Astra Zeneca/Pfizer.  I can't find what the refund policy would be if they made their final payment in the hopes that the other combination might be allowed by the time of their cruise.

Has anyone got confirmation that Oceania would refund if the policy doesn't change?

I assume it's a cruise departing a port in the US.

Since AstraZeneca is not approved for use in any manner in the US (nor is it likely to be in the foreseeable future), much less as part of a mixed vaccine protocol, I'd say there's zero chance that Oceania will allow AZ either as a single vaccine protocol or mixed vaccine protocol at any time. I can't imagine Oceania offering refunds under those circumstances. You, or your friends, know what the rules are so why would Oceania offer refunds if you're knowingly ignoring them on the hope that something will change ? 

Speaking as a former travel agency owner, if these were my clients under the circumstances I would tell my clients the only reasonable thing to do is cancel prior to final payment.

11 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

I assume it's a cruise departing a port in the US.

Since AstraZeneca is not approved for use in any manner in the US (nor is it likely to be in the foreseeable future), much less as part of a mixed vaccine protocol, I'd say there's zero chance that Oceania will allow AZ either as a single vaccine protocol or mixed vaccine protocol at any time. I can't imagine Oceania offering refunds under those circumstances. You, or your friends, know what the rules are so why would Oceania offer refunds if you're knowingly ignoring them on the hope that something will change ? 

Speaking as a former travel agency owner, if these were my clients under the circumstances I would tell my clients the only reasonable thing to do is cancel prior to final payment.

That is what they think they will do and it seems a shame when Oceania has recently allowed the mixing of MRNA vaccines and some cruise lines are allowing people who get a second shot of the second vaccine( which in this case was Pfizer). Will Oceania soon follow with that rule? 

There is a good chance they will be able to get that matching third shot before the cruise start.

Edited by cruisingxpert

Just now, cruisingxpert said:

That is what they think they will do and it seems a shame when Oceania has recently allowed the mixing of MRNA vaccines and some cruise lines are allowing people who get a second shot of the second vaccine( which in this case was Pfizer). Will Oceania soon follow with that rule? 

There is a good chance they will be able to get that matching third shot before the cruise start.

The difference is that the mRNA vaccines are approved in the US. AZ is not, and my guess is it likely never will be as we have sufficient vaccine supply without it. 

That AZ isn't approved in the US is their own fault. They botched the US clinical trials.  

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

The difference is that the mRNA vaccines are approved in the US. AZ is not, and my guess is it likely never will be as we have sufficient vaccine supply without it. 

That AZ isn't approved in the US is their own fault. They botched the US clinical trials.  

Are you absolutely certain that Oceania is not allowing any vaccines that are not approved for use in the US?  These things can get confusing,  Are you saying even if the WHO recognizes a particular vaccine as “fully vaccinated” that Oceania will not recognize that vaccine for cruises out or into the US?  I have a different understanding, but I may be confused.

49 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

Are you absolutely certain that Oceania is not allowing any vaccines that are not approved for use in the US?  These things can get confusing,  Are you saying even if the WHO recognizes a particular vaccine as “fully vaccinated” that Oceania will not recognize that vaccine for cruises out or into the US?  I have a different understanding, but I may be confused.

According to the O policy effective Sept 28

For ships embarking or disembarking at U.S. ports: • U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and/or World Health Organization (WHO) authorized single brand vaccination protocol 2 weeks after receipt of the final dose. Including, J&J Janssen, Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, AstraZeneca/Oxford (also known as Covishield and Vaxzervria), Sinopharm BIBP and Sinovac.

They will also allow a mix of Pfizer and Moderna but NOT Astra Zeneca with an MRNA vaccine

That's what I am reading.

Edited by cruisingxpert
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

I'm talking about Oceania not permitting the use of AZ as part of a mixed vaccine protocol for cruises embarking in the US. Only a mix of the two mRNA vaccines are permitted. You have to put my answer in the context of the posts by @cruisingxpert that I was responding to .

If you go back to post #4 of this thread you'll see that  I've cited the full scope of vaccination protocols, both single brand and mixed brand, permitted by Oceania for US and non US cruises. 

Does that mean that if we are doing a Transatlantic next year from Rome to Miami, that we wouldn't be allowed to board because a) I have had the two doses of Astra Zenica and b) my DH has had one dose of Astra Zenica and one of Pfizer?

As the ruling here at the moment is that anyone over 60 years has to have Astra Zenica unless like in my DH's case had a reaction, then that that means any Australians that have only had the Astra Zenica which was all that we were able to have at the time, cannot visit the U.S.? 

Edited by Aussie Gal

4 minutes ago, Aussie Gal said:

Does that mean that if we are doing a Transatlantic next year from Rome to Miami, that we wouldn't be allowed to board because a) I have had the two doses of Astra Zenica and b) my DH has had one dose of Astra Zenica and one of Pfizer?

EU protocols are different than  what is required for departure from US ports so you are okay for Europe departures..

For all other Vessels departing from a non U.S. port: • Any U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), European Medicines Agency (EMA), or World Health Organization (WHO) authorized single brand vaccination protocol 2 weeks after receipt of the final dose. Including J&J Janssen, Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, AstraZeneca/Oxford (also known as Covishield and Vaxzervria). These vaccines are listed as examples. Refer to FDA, EMA or WHO websites for full approved current list. • A mixed vaccination protocol of only AstraZeneca Vaxzevria, PfizerBioNTech or Moderna combinations with a minimum interval of 28 days

1 minute ago, cruisingxpert said:

EU protocols are different than  what is required for departure from US ports so you are okay for Europe departures..

For all other Vessels departing from a non U.S. port: • Any U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), European Medicines Agency (EMA), or World Health Organization (WHO) authorized single brand vaccination protocol 2 weeks after receipt of the final dose. Including J&J Janssen, Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, AstraZeneca/Oxford (also known as Covishield and Vaxzervria). These vaccines are listed as examples. Refer to FDA, EMA or WHO websites for full approved current list. • A mixed vaccination protocol of only AstraZeneca Vaxzevria, PfizerBioNTech or Moderna combinations with a minimum interval of 28 days

Thanks for your prompt reply.  Of course by the time we depart Rome next year, we will have both had a top up and we will ask for Pfizer next time as we are receiving more supplies each month now. I have one question though and that is when we arrive in Miami, will we be allowed to disembark, have a couple of days in Miami and then fly home.  

Jennie

On 10/1/2021 at 3:59 PM, cruisingxpert said:

According to the O policy effective Sept 28

For ships embarking or disembarking at U.S. ports: • U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and/or World Health Organization (WHO) authorized single brand vaccination protocol 2 weeks after receipt of the final dose. Including, J&J Janssen, Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, AstraZeneca/Oxford (also known as Covishield and Vaxzervria), Sinopharm BIBP and Sinovac.

They will also allow a mix of Pfizer and Moderna but NOT Astra Zeneca with an MRNA vaccine

That's what I am reading.

Thanks.  I am not saying it will happen, but if FDA and/or the WHO does approve AZ as a mixed vaccine, then I would think that It would be within O’s policy.

On 10/1/2021 at 4:11 PM, njhorseman said:

I'm talking about Oceania not permitting the use of AZ as part of a mixed vaccine protocol for cruises embarking in the US. Only a mix of the two mRNA vaccines are permitted. You have to put my answer in the context of the posts by @cruisingxpert that I was responding to .

If you go back to post #4 of this thread you'll see that  I've cited the full scope of vaccination protocols, both single brand and mixed brand, permitted by Oceania for US and non US cruises. 

This is a quote from you on post #11.

Since AstraZeneca is not approved for use in any manner in the US (nor is it likely to be in the foreseeable future), much less as part of a mixed vaccine protocol, I'd say there's zero chance that Oceania will allow AZ either as a single vaccine protocol or mixed vaccineprotocol at any time”

13 hours ago, jagoffee said:

This is a quote from you on post #11.

Since AstraZeneca is not approved for use in any manner in the US (nor is it likely to be in the foreseeable future), much less as part of a mixed vaccine protocol, I'd say there's zero chance that Oceania will allow AZ either as a single vaccine protocol or mixed vaccineprotocol at any time”

Obviously I goofed when I put in the words "as a single vaccine protocol", which contradicts the protocols I cited in post #4. 

I could have done a better job overall in how I wrote post #11

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Obviously I goofed when I put in the words "as a single vaccine protocol", which contradicts the protocols I cited in post #4. 

I could have done a better job overall in how I wrote post #11

Thanks for coming back and explaining.  I am now confident that I understand as I was initially confused.