PCR test for Canadians returning home

tlens

We just booked Apex for October 24 (4 day) and asked Celebrity if PCR testing to return to Canada is onboard.  She told me yes, for $178.00 USD.  Ok, fine.  It'll use most of the OBC but way easier than trying to find someplace in port in Cozumel.  However, I just read a thread where someone got off Equinox who said it was covered and the Celebrity website seems to indicate it as well.  It would be great to not have conflicting info.

I've searched this site but getting too many threads for other lines so I'm looking for someone who needed a PCR to return home and whether or not it's covered.  Again, I'll pay the 178.00 because of convenience but would love to use the OBC on a great wine instead.

• Like 1

The Celebrity website says the tests required for travel home will be complementary for vaccinated guests.

Go to Celebrity's home page and click on the Blue Banner at the top.  The go to Overview and US Travel requirements.  At the bottom of that section is the Return Home info.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, tlens said:

We just booked Apex for October 24 (4 day) and asked Celebrity if PCR testing to return to Canada is onboard.  She told me yes, for $178.00 USD.  Ok, fine.  It'll use most of the OBC but way easier than trying to find someplace in port in Cozumel.  However, I just read a thread where someone got off Equinox who said it was covered and the Celebrity website seems to indicate it as well.  It would be great to not have conflicting info.

I've searched this site but getting too many threads for other lines so I'm looking for someone who needed a PCR to return home and whether or not it's covered.  Again, I'll pay the 178.00 because of convenience but would love to use the OBC on a great wine instead.

Please do not rely on the information by some of thes agents. They simply do not know everything.

• Like 1

I’m so envious of everyone, including other Canadians, traveling on cruises at the moment. I’d love to book but one thing is holding me back…I realize Celebrity will test us at the end of our cruise with the required PCR test but what if we have total bad luck and happen to test positive? The protocol is to put us off the ship and they say they look after quarantining us but will they actually do that until we get a negative test (which could realistically take a couple weeks) and then they’ll fly us home to Canada since we’ll have missed our original return flights?  Even in checking the Canadians boards I haven’t seen this situation come up or even discussed. Anyone know what happens? We can’t obviously get into our home country if we test positive aboard the ship and I don’t see what the option would be at that point except staying in Fl at our own expense.  Time is no issue since we’re both retired. Also, both vaccinated. 

Was on Apex last week and simply requested PCR test last day for entry back into Canada.  No problem.  By late afternoon an E-Mail copy and Hard Copy in my cabin.  

Secondly, both Celebrity and RCCL will not leave you high and dry at disembarkation if you did test positive.  They both very clearly state that you will be sent home at their expense or quarantined at their expense.  

I note that the Cruise Line websites I have visited all state that home country tests will be done at their expenses prior to disembarkation.  I have another with HAL at the end of this month and have verified I can get a PCR test onboard. 

We are Canadian, we were on the Equinox on August 27.  They gave us the PCR test we needed to come home for free.  The same wording about it being free is still on their website (as someone copied above).  We go again on October 29/Nov 7.  I suggest when you get on the ship you call front desk early and tell them you are Canadian and you need a PCR test to fly home and get on their list.  They have a day near the end of the cruise where they do all test for Back to Back, unvaccinated children under 12 and anyone that needs the test for travel.  When I called, she asked if I was sure I needed a PCR test, I said yes, Canada requires PCR (antigen doesn't work) and she said no problem, I will put you on the list.  A few days before the end of the cruise we got a call letting us know the date and time of the testing and then we received a hard copy invitation too.  I also received the results by email and hard copy.

The person you spoke to may have been confused, because it does say only vaccinated travelers get the test for free.  When they first started back up, I think there was a limited number of adults at points that were unvaccinated, and then I believe you had to pay for all testing, including the one needed to fly home.

As a note, there is also lots of good information on the Canadian board here on Cruise Critic.

Edited by AlbertaCruisers
  • Like 4

20 hours ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

I’m so envious of everyone, including other Canadians, traveling on cruises at the moment. I’d love to book but one thing is holding me back…I realize Celebrity will test us at the end of our cruise with the required PCR test but what if we have total bad luck and happen to test positive? The protocol is to put us off the ship and they say they look after quarantining us but will they actually do that until we get a negative test (which could realistically take a couple weeks) and then they’ll fly us home to Canada since we’ll have missed our original return flights?  Even in checking the Canadians boards I haven’t seen this situation come up or even discussed. Anyone know what happens? We can’t obviously get into our home country if we test positive aboard the ship and I don’t see what the option would be at that point except staying in Fl at our own expense.  Time is no issue since we’re both retired. Also, both vaccinated. 

I am so envious of those Canadians traveling to the US to cruise and having X say they will provide the testing to return home.

We just returned from a fantastic (and very expensive) tour in Canada on the Rocky Mountaineer. We were required to complete a quarantine plan for the Canadian government, along with vaccinations and a PCR test ($225 USD each) at our own expense. We got no assistance whatsoever with our return testing; it was our own responsibility.

That being said - was the trip well worth the hassles? Heck yes!!!!!

32 minutes ago, sippican said:

I am so envious of those Canadians traveling to the US to cruise and having X say they will provide the testing to return home.

We just returned from a fantastic (and very expensive) tour in Canada on the Rocky Mountaineer. We were required to complete a quarantine plan for the Canadian government, along with vaccinations and a PCR test ($225 USD each) at our own expense. We got no assistance whatsoever with our return testing; it was our own responsibility.

That being said - was the trip well worth the hassles? Heck yes!!!!!

My DH and I spent 3 nights in Ottawa this summer. You are so right; travel in Canada is very expensive especially during the summer months.  Between hotel costs and eating out we could have paid for a 7 night cruise.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

My DH and I spent 3 nights in Ottawa this summer. You are so right; travel in Canada is very expensive especially during the summer months.  Between hotel costs and eating out we could have paid for a 7 night cruise.

A touch of hyperbole methinks! 😇

4 hours ago, drakes2 said:

@Fouremcoit was a nice trip; just not cheap. Got to do the 1000 Islands boat cruise which was lovely. 

We love the 1000 Islands, and have spent countless days there both on and under the water. Which cruise did you take? There are several, and the only one we've taken was on the Wildcat.

11 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

We love the 1000 Islands, and have spent countless days there both on and under the water. Which cruise did you take? There are several, and the only one we've taken was on the Wildcat.

@FouremcoWe did the 3 hour lunch cruise out of Kingston on the Island Queen. The meal was fabulous as were the views.  Very well organized with social distancing in place.

12 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

@FouremcoWe did the 3 hour lunch cruise out of Kingston on the Island Queen. The meal was fabulous as were the views.  Very well organized with social distancing in place.

I'll have to add that to our things to do list. Most of our 1000 Islands activity has been at the eastern end, and a lunch cruise out of Kingston would provide a glimpse of the western end. Perfect for a day's outing from Ottawa!

• 1 month later...

I talked with the Apex Customer Service reps onboard today and they said Celebrity will no longer maintain the materials onboard to do PCR testing. Instead, they have contracted with a vendor in the local Ft Lauderdale area, in cases where their ships disembark passengers in the local area, to administer the PCR tests to passengers requiring them to fly back home, such as to Canada, in the cruise terminal once they disembark the ship. They also said the PCR tests, at least for the ones given on Saturday, would be complimentary. The results of the tests should be available within 90 minutes or so of taking the test.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

41 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I talked with the Apex Customer Service reps onboard today and they said Celebrity will no longer maintain the materials onboard to do PCR testing. Instead, they have contracted with a vendor in the local Ft Lauderdale area, in cases where their ships disembark passengers in the local area, to administer the PCR tests to passengers requiring them to fly back home, such as to Canada, in the cruise terminal once they disembark the ship. They also said the PCR tests, at least for the ones given on Saturday, would be complimentary. The results of the tests should be available within 90 minutes or so of taking the test.

I have a cruise on the Edge January 30th to February 6th. My return flight is at noon. That's going to be pretty tight. 

4 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Hopefully by then testing will be in the rearview by then as the CDC CSO. One can hope anyway … 😎

I can't see Canada dropping that requirement at least not anytime soon  but as you say one can be hopeful. 

Neither can I…at most I’m hoping we’ll only need a negative antigen test to return home. I’m not even begrudging Celebrity the cost of the PCR testing, I’ll gladly pay for it so long as it’s done onboard as they promised when I booked and I am assured they’ll continue to honour their commitment to look after getting me home if I should test positive. We have final payment in a couple weeks and I’m undecided still at this point 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

Neither can I…at most I’m hoping we’ll only need a negative antigen test to return home. I’m not even begrudging Celebrity the cost of the PCR testing, I’ll gladly pay for it so long as it’s done onboard as they promised when I booked and I am assured they’ll continue to honour their commitment to look after getting me home if I should test positive. We have final payment in a couple weeks and I’m undecided still at this point 

I've already booked flights and final payment December 1. Not canceling cruise for that but they did not say pcr tests were at a cost when I booked.  I feel they should just charge on bookings going forward but we will see what happens. With boosters now we may not need pcr testing 

13 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I know you do B2B cruises, Ken, we are doing an almost B2B in early February - we get off Silhouette on Feb 4 and embark Reflection on Feb 5. Are the onboard Ag tests done on the last day of cruising?

I know things may change a lot by February, but I don’t think testing will be dropped until 2023 or late 22. I’m going to get the home tests as a backup, but I’m not sure I can get any with appropriate expiration dates yet. 

23 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

I know you do B2B cruises, Ken, we are doing an almost B2B in early February - we get off Silhouette on Feb 4 and embark Reflection on Feb 5. Are the onboard Ag tests done on the last day of cruising?

I know things may change a lot by February, but I don’t think testing will be dropped until 2023 or late 22. I’m going to get the home tests as a backup, but I’m not sure I can get any with appropriate expiration dates yet. 

We’re on the same Silhouette cruise and flying home on the 5th, fortunately have a 7am flight so we should be ok with the 24 hour limitation for testing. It’s typical Celebrity that Ken is told testing will be conducted in the terminal after disembarking and yet Celebrity’s latest update indicates it’ll be done onboard prior to disembarking. Still not sure whether they mean day of disembarking or day prior.