Volcanic eruption.

Happy afloat

59 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

We have booked an apartment for a month next Feb in Puerto del Carmen, only ever visited Lanzarote by ship so are looking forward to checking out the island, with Fire mountain being on our list.

I would add Mirador del Rio to your list. Breathtaking is apt. Famara for a bit of surfing.🏄.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Scriv said:

Look after it for me... 4 weeks wait for me to go to Playa Blanca. Can't wait.

Next March for us. Costa Teguise. BA have decided that we are now going from Heathrow, not Gatwick. Not bothered.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, davecttr said:

I would work on the principle that Ventura won't be calling there. The eruption could continue for weeks/months and there is volcanic ash fall over parts if not all of the island.

apart from some excursions, and the ones to the south of the island will not be running? there is not all that much to do in the capital except walk ashore for an hour or so.

I seem to recall Graham saying there was a nice big McDonalds as you leave the port. Time for a second breakfast Gandalf.🤣

2 hours ago, Scriv said:

Main must-see for me is the Timanfaya National Park aka Fire Mountain. It is unique and amazing... Also, artist Cesar Manrique's House is well worth a visit. 

Or do you mean the tapas bars ? 

I mean tapas bars. i have been on every excursion and fire mountain twice

Reports coming from InVolCan today are saying this is the worst eruption over 100 years on La Palma, now that part of the cone has collapsed and more lava flowing out and a increase in seismic events up to M4.0 in the last 24 hours, concern is that this eruption may continue for months yet. I suspect La Palma won’t be accepting cruise ships for sometime, TUI have cancelled all holidays there up to 27 October, all other islands are open. 

https://www.volcanodiscovery.com/la-palma/news/143413/La-Palma-volcano-eruption-already-biggest-on-the-island-in-more-than-100-years.html

• Thanks 1

Reminds me of when we played tour bus Russian roulette on a Princess volcano tour in Nicaragua.We got to the top of this active volcano and the guide said,only 10 mins here folks cos a couple of years ago it belched up a load of molten lava,wrote off some cars and injured a few people.10 mins gave us more chance of not being killed,lol.The main claim to fame was that the right wing government in the 80s used to helicopter their tortured prisoners in a hippo bag and drop them in.

Edited by brian1

1 minute ago, brian1 said:

The main claim to fame was that the right wing government in the 80s used to helicopter their tortured prisoners in a hippo bag and drop them in.

Well, that cheered me up no end !

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Reminds me of when we played tour bus Russian roulette on a Princess volcano tour in Nicaragua.We got to the top of this active volcano and the guide said,only 10 mins here folks cos a couple of years ago it belched up a load of molten lava,wrote off some cars and injured a few people.10 mins gave us more chance of not being killed,lol.The main claim to fame was that the right wing government in the 80s used to helicopter their tortured prisoners in a hippo bag and drop them in.

There's a thought if any crusties block the entrance to Gatwick on Friday morning.🤣

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, brian1 said:

The main claim to fame was that the right wing government in the 80s used to helicopter their tortured prisoners in a hippo bag and drop them in.

Now there's a thought about what to do with a few people I've had the misfortune of meeting over the years.  No one on here I'm pleased to say!

• Haha 2

On 10/5/2021 at 8:11 PM, davecttr said:

I mean tapas bars. i have been on every excursion and fire mountain twice

We found lots of choice around the little marina.. but no recollection of names, sorry.