Anxiety with testing.

desiree741

Am I the only one that feels extreme anxiety when trying to figure out the plans for testing? Our cruise isn’t even until thanksgiving but every time I try to research I just get overwhelmed. My girlfriend is driving from Florida here to Ms. on Tuesday, then Wednesday we are driving to New Orleans, cruise leaves thanksgiving day. The Who,what and where’s I just can’t seem to wrap y head around on what we should do about our testing. I know nothing about the telehealth test I keep hearing about. Grrr sorry for venting lol

• Like 7

The EMED test that is proctored are the best option in my opinion. Test as home anytime 24/7.  I would buy a test kit at Walgreens to practice prior to the real thing just so you know how they work. Have your paperwork in 15 minutes to your email. We leave on Oct 16 and we are using these. We are vacinated and had covid in Nov 2020 so I am not concerned at all about testing positive.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, zorky12 said:

The EMED test that is proctored are the best option in my opinion. Test as home anytime 24/7.  I would buy a test kit at Walgreens to practice prior to the real thing just so you know how they work. Have your paperwork in 15 minutes to your email. We leave on Oct 16 and we are using these. We are vacinated and had covid in Nov 2020 so I am not concerned at all about testing positive.  

Can I do that on an iPad from our hotel in Florida?

I agree.  Our last cruise was pretty stressful - we fly across the country from Washington State to Florida for our cruises, and it did not go smoothly back when we had a day longer in turnaround time.  So from now on, we are doing the BinaxNOW proctored test you can do from your home/hotel room, etc.  The reviews here have been great, and it seems to be a low-stress way to meet the testing requirement.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mondello said:

@desiree741 I hear ya! My problem is wondering how we'll do it. Wanting to book between Christmas and New Years. Will probably be in Florida pre-cruise so, I don't know the best way to do it.

Outside door 10 at mia. $79 took about 30 minutes

CVS's near me in Florida won't book a rapid test 15 days out. Just day of. Will book pcr but will I get results in 1-2 days as promised? Who knows? Have to bite the bullet and eat the $70 for home test. Not to mention I got bad info calling Carnival directly and agent stated "no rapid tests allowed at all". They have really screwed this all up. Norwegian has it all set up through CVS. Just plug in your booking #. Why couldn't Carnival do this? No wonder they are struggling to get bookings for these fall sailings. I thought vacations we're supposed to relieve stress?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Cvs you can book 2 weeks out. Put in your zip code to see the closest one that does the rapid test.

I worried but it was extremely easy thanks to CVS.

I second what firefly said.  I was anxious because a lot of people who cruised just before our 9/12 Pride sailing said CVS had cancelled their test!  And what about false positive, etc., etc.  

Just book two tests, one two days before and one one day before.  If you test negative on the first one, be kind and cancel the second one immediately.

• Like 1

My advice is to end all the stress!!! Fork out the $100-$150 fit the BinaxNow tests. 2 days before the cruise, wake up, login, follow the proctors instructions, fingers crossed for negatives, then sail with free. It eliminated all with for me and we cruise Thanksgiving also. Chi-workers took "24-hour" result test locally. They got them 3-days later. I am not even going to play that game.

You’re not the only one feeling anxious. I was feeling super anxious 2 weeks ago when I had to get tested. CVS cancelled my rapid test appointment 2 days beforehand but luckily I found a private lab near me that did the antigen tests for $129 and got the results back within an hour. If you have an FSA/HSA card you can use that money to pay for the tests. 

My backup plan was to get tested at MIA but I really wanted to get tested before I flew down. 

The cruise will be well worth it. 😀

Edited by redsox1584

44 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

My advice is to end all the stress!!! Fork out the $100-$150 fit the BinaxNow tests. 2 days before the cruise, wake up, login, follow the proctors instructions, fingers crossed for negatives, then sail with free. It eliminated all with for me and we cruise Thanksgiving also. Chi-workers took "24-hour" result test locally. They got them 3-days later. I am not even going to play that game.

What boozin said.  It’s going to be stressful. I matter what until you get the negative results but as far as testing, the EMED tests couldn’t be easier. And although I haven’t done it yet, I’ve heard you can get refunded for the tests if you submit to the insurance company. Also there used to be long waits for the test but 3 family members did our tests Thursday at different times and none of us had to wait more than a minute. 

Order the tests and you can let go of some of the stress. 

I really don't see the big deal.  We booked our appointment about 10 days out for CVS.  We drove there and had results in 15 minutes.  I also knew if the appointment was cancelled I could pick up the at home tests.  Not really even worth mentioning in the grand scheme of things.

Edited by ray98
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, desiree741 said:

Am I the only one that feels extreme anxiety when trying to figure out the plans for testing? Our cruise isn’t even until thanksgiving but every time I try to research I just get overwhelmed. My girlfriend is driving from Florida here to Ms. on Tuesday, then Wednesday we are driving to New Orleans, cruise leaves thanksgiving day. The Who,what and where’s I just can’t seem to wrap y head around on what we should do about our testing. I know nothing about the telehealth test I keep hearing about. Grrr sorry for venting lol

We leave on October 23, a Saturday. Several of our friends who have already cruised got their tests at a minor emergency clinic in another town. I called one in our town, they do the rapid antigen test, no appointment needed, Medicare covers. Our town is pretty small but we have 4 minor emergency clinics, so I would imagine New Orleans would have plenty! Just google, then email or call one closest to port to make sure they have an approved test and if you need an appointment. The telehealth appointments make me nervous, have a feeling I'd screw it up. Good luck!

2 minutes ago, ray98 said:

I really don't see the big deal.  We booked our appointment about 10 days out for CVS.  We drove there and had results in 15 minutes.  I also knew if the appointment was cancelled I could pick up the at home tests.  Not really even worth mentioning in the grand scheme of things.

Glad you got your test results back in a timely manner!!

The tests you said you would have picked up at CVS are NOT acceptable for the cruise lines because they are not the monitored ones.

Just clarifying this for those reading this thinking it is an option….

58764952-102E-4F35-9A50-A151C490D387.jpeg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, desiree741 said:

I'll join you  in this total madness.....go here, go there, wait here, no wait there no  time slot, oops you are too late with the 48 hour test, sorry. Why is it so logistically tough to find a walk in Rapid Covid test without having to sit at the computer, hoping a slot opens up, and somehow make the plane lift off in time. Is there ANY Cruise line that either offers the Rapid test at the port, or does not require the 48 hour scramble to board.   Once you have documentation you are fully vacinnated?? cue... BB KING..." THe thrill is gone..."

Edited by topaz123
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, zorky12 said:

Yes you can.

I am planning on doing our test on the IPad.  Did you have a problem positioning it so they could see you and the testing?

I didn’t know if I would need to turn the IPad vertically or if it would work as I use it horizontally in a case.

Thank you for helping me with this….

6 hours ago, desiree741 said:

Ok to vent.  Someone penned a song about worry and the chorus line was "there's a pill for that".