Keycard colours

Nataly1982

Hi All

I am curious if there is some logic behind NCL keycard colours. We are bronze and on our 4 cruises we had twice orange, once teal and once purple colour.

Also one of the latitudes rewards is Keycard Recognition. What is this all about if someone knows? 

I thought the colors did have meaning - for example, we had the beverage package (all included) and ours was teal, my mil had the basic package ( wine and beer) and hers was orange. Purple maybe underage? Again, not entirely sure but that was how I understood it to be

• Like 2

Purple = Haven/Suites

Bronze/Gold/Orange (same colour but it depends on what ppl see the colour 😎) = rookies

Teal = everyone else

Please correct me if I’m wrong. 

We’ve been on 25 NCL cruises and this seem to be consistent for the last few years. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Purple = Haven/Suites

Bronze/Gold/Orange (same colour but it depends on what ppl see the colour 😎) = rookies

Teal = everyone else

Please correct me if I’m wrong. 

We’ve been on 25 NCL cruises and this seem to be consistent for the last few years. 

Correct.

The orange cards have “welcome to Norwegian” on them and the green ones (I assume that is Teal, I’m no good with colour names) say “welcome back to Norwegian”.

Purple say “welcome to the good life”.

They used to be random, but it’s been this way for a few years now.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

Correct.

The orange cards have “welcome to Norwegian” on them and the green ones (I assume that is Teal, I’m no good with colour names) say “welcome back to Norwegian”.

Purple say “welcome to the good life”.

They used to be random, but it’s been this way for a few years now.

Correct! We keep all our cards and most of them - the latest ones - have been teal except for a couple of purples when we won the bid to upgrade to Haven 😄

On the transatlantic cruises there appear to be a lot more teals than the gold ones. Whenever we meet ppl with gold cards we often say welcome and ask how they were liking the cruise. 😎

Edited by bluesea777
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Correct! We keep all our cards and most of them - the latest ones - have been teal except for a couple of purples when we won the bid to upgrade to Haven 😄

On the transatlantic cruises there appear to be a lot more teals than the gold ones. Whenever we meet ppl with gold cards we often say welcome and ask how they were liking the cruise. 😎

We got purple although we were in an inside cabin 😃 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Our son would be platinum plus if he could have status, but as he is under 18, he still gets a gold card. He always moans about it. 🙂

6 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

Our son would be platinum plus if he could have status, but as he is under 18, he still gets a gold card. He always moans about it. 🙂

lol, just wait until he’s 18. Do book a cruise just after his 18th so he gets his sought after teal card …. 😜

3 minutes ago, Nataly1982 said:

10 days ago 😄

Interesting, indeed. 

Can you take a picture of card (with your name redacted of course) so I can compare it with our Haven cards ?

Edited by bluesea777
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nataly1982 said:

10 days ago 😄

Probably newbie staff… there’s been quite a few people mentioning incorrect latitudes numbers/status at check in.  Remember some ports are only just ramping up. If the re-hiring for the cruise ports has been anything like the hospitality industry here in Ireland they’ve probably lost quite a few people to other industries that weren’t affected by lockdowns.

The last time we were in the Haven our key cards were white with a starfish on them.  The top said Welcome to Your Sanctuary and upper right hand corner said The Haven.  We sail in a few weeks in the Haven and will see if we get the same color key cards.

• Like 3

A personal story based on this!!!

I have been given VIP status in the past even though I invariably have a green/teal card which is not usually visible when round the boat.   I was able to eat meals in the suite dining room and was treated like any purple carded passenger.

Till, one evening, I was at "Dining with Officers" and had to show my card at one point.   One pair of passengers at the table pointedly refused to speak to Pauline or I all evening!!!   The next morning at breakfast you should have seen the looks they gave us!!!!!!!!   If looks could kill.

It was seen by the Concierge who asked about the problem.   I explained.  10 minutes later he made a great show of giving each of us a purple card!!!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, casofilia said:

A personal story based on this!!!

Till, one evening, I was at "Dining with Officers" and had to show my card at one point.   One pair of passengers at the table pointedly refused to speak to Pauline or I all evening!!!   The next morning at breakfast you should have seen the looks they gave us!!!!!!!!   If looks could kill.

OMG!
Keycard color discrimination by a fellow passenger?
That’s beyond my understanding.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, BSR said:

The last time we were in the Haven our key cards were white with a starfish on them.  The top said Welcome to Your Sanctuary and upper right hand corner said The Haven.  We sail in a few weeks in the Haven and will see if we get the same color key cards.

We just sailed on 9/23 in the Haven of Getaway.  Our key cards were white with a gold starfish, but the word "purple" is listed to the right of Photo Gallery.  The top right of the card says "The Haven".  Sorry I am too technologically challenged to add a picture.

• Like 1

Our last three cruises have been in suites and we have had purple cards with the Welcome to the Good Life on them. On one of them we had my MIL  who was on her very first cruise and she also had a purple card. So I do believe that there is some sort of code to them.