Keycard colours

Nataly1982

6 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

In recent years, we have noticed that NCL uses a peach colored card for first-timers.  When we notice someone with one of those cards, we like to say hello and welcome them to sailing with NCL.

Please don’t say that to my son. 🙂

10 hours ago, Yesimapirate said:

I think it's hilarious that you write this.  You're 100% correct.  However,  as someone who flew 48 weeks/year for 20 years and has lifetime status,  I tried to board an airplane last and get off asap.  I've spent enough time on them!

On last, off first...totally agree.  I fly transatlantic once a month and the last thing I want to do is be in my seat as 200 other people shuffle by. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Yesimapirate said:

I think it's hilarious that you write this.  You're 100% correct.  However,  as someone who flew 48 weeks/year for 20 years and has lifetime status,  I tried to board an airplane last and get off asap.  I've spent enough time on them!

Wait a tick!  Hopefully we're not equating being on an awful airplane with being on a fabulous cruise ship.  They are polar opposites.  The ONLY thing I dread about taking a cruise is the crappy airline trip required to get me there.  That said, while I generally need to get on a plane quickly (SW boarding process), I'm rarely in any hurry to get off.  If it's just my family in the row, we'll just sit there and watch the other clowns wrestle with their luggage in an aisle crammed full of anxious people.  I get to the luggage carousel ten minutes later and then have to watch the same clowns block others from getting their bags.  This defies all logic but will never change.  If everybody would just take two steps back and wait until their luggage actually appears, it would be a better world. 

• Like 5

On 10/3/2021 at 3:04 PM, bluesea777 said:

Purple = Haven/Suites

Bronze/Gold/Orange (same colour but it depends on what ppl see the colour 😎) = rookies

Teal = everyone else

Please correct me if I’m wrong. 

We’ve been on 25 NCL cruises and this seem to be consistent for the last few years. 

We just got back from the Epic, we were in the Haven and are Gold Latitudes level. Our cards were "gold/brown." 

It looks quite clear that currently people are getting keycards which don't match what happens usually.

Whether this is because of a change in policy, or just due to supply of cards or training of staff is unclear at the moment, but if the cards still have the same working on them then I would suggest the latter.

12 minutes ago, Shidah said:

On all of my Haven cruises the cards were gold/bronze.  I can’t remember the color when I stayed in a balcony.

My Haven card from Feb of 2020, before the shutdown, was the tan one with the starfish on it, so the color must have changed a while back.

On 10/3/2021 at 7:04 PM, bluesea777 said:

Purple = Haven/Suites

Bronze/Gold/Orange (same colour but it depends on what ppl see the colour 😎) = rookies

Teal = everyone else

Please correct me if I’m wrong. 

We’ve been on 25 NCL cruises and this seem to be consistent for the last few years. 

As it appears, I was wrong about the Haven card colour. I digged out the box containing ALL our cruise key cards, and saw that our Haven cards are beige/gold/brown with starfish.

The "new" cards began in 2015. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/7/2021 at 8:26 PM, The Traveling Man said:

Three of my cards are off-white but with a lilac colored image of a sea shell in the corner.  They each bear the slogan "WELCOME TO THE GOOD LIFE."  Two of them are for Suites on Dawn class ships.  We received the other one on the second half of a B2B on the Epic.  We had been in a Balcony during the Transatlantic portion of the trip and received Teal colored keys for that part of the cruise.  We moved to an Inside room for the three day continuation from Barcelona to Rome and got the lilac "GOOD LIFE" card for that one.  Most of the other passengers on board had booked a seven day Western Mediterranean cruise and received the standard Teal colored cards, but NCL also offers a three day trip on the first cruise of the season, and the different colored cards are used to distinguish those on the shorter version of the cruise.

We each received another lilac "WELCOME TO THE GOOD LIFE" card on a recent Epic cruise of the Western Mediterranean.  Most of the passengers boarded at Barcelona, and most of them had the standard teal colored card.  Those of us who boarded at Rome got the lilac cards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RumRunner2021 said:

For Haven's sake folks (see what I did there), you're ON VACATION ON A CRUISE SHIP.  ***** difference does it make what color you room key card is?  😇

Well, once thing I find when I’m on a vacation on a cruise ship is that I spend a lot of time relaxing with a drink, not too much on my mind, when I see something like the keycards on the table and find myself saying something like “I wonder what’s the different keycard colours mean”

It’s not important and only vaguely interesting, but when we are sitting there with nothing else particularly to worry about it’s just the sort of conversation I find myself having.

Because we are on a vacation on a cruise ship. 🙂

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

Well, once thing I find when I’m on a vacation on a cruise ship is that I spend a lot of time relaxing with a drink, not too much on my mind, when I see something like the keycards on the table and find myself saying something like “I wonder what’s the different keycard colours mean”

It’s not important and only vaguely interesting, but when we are sitting there with nothing else particularly to worry about it’s just the sort of conversation I find myself having.

I hear you brother.  That said, my mind has wandered many places while in that bliss state.  But NEVER anywhere related to what that key card on the table means.... It just means that my new buddy will bring me more drinks for free (queue Piano Man - played to perfection by Alexa on the Encore in October).

11 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

“I wonder what’s the different keycard colours mean”

BINGO !  But it is an interesting way to pass the time.

We were on the Sun in an OS. The first day, we went down to guest services to get holes punched in our cards. It being the first day, it was a madhouse and lines were long. No big deal, as rooms weren’t quite ready and waiting in line gave us something to do.  A crew member was trying to organize everyone and asked what we were there for. I flashed my purple card and said we just needed our cards punched. He immediately grabbed them, saying “You’re in a suite. You don’t wait in lines. Let me get those taken care of for you!” 

• 1 month later...
On 10/3/2021 at 7:18 PM, BirdTravels said:

Yup. Suite card

I had a purple on Breakaway Oct 31. In a balcony cabin. My granddaughter alsohad purple, she did not have her status until cruise was completed then she was gold. After our Feb. cruise she will be platinum. I am platinum plus. Haven cards were a beownish color and had haven written on them.

• 1 year later...
On 11/8/2021 at 6:03 PM, FLcruisergrl said:

We were on the Sun in an OS. The first day, we went down to guest services to get holes punched in our cards. It being the first day, it was a madhouse and lines were long. No big deal, as rooms weren’t quite ready and waiting in line gave us something to do.  A crew member was trying to organize everyone and asked what we were there for. I flashed my purple card and said we just needed our cards punched. He immediately grabbed them, saying “You’re in a suite. You don’t wait in lines. Let me get those taken care of for you!” 

I used to get my cards punched but lately have been told that they can't as it will ruin the card. I still use a lanyard but also have to use a plastic sleeve and fish the card out when I want a drink.

On 10/3/2021 at 9:12 PM, casofilia said:

A personal story based on this!!!

I have been given VIP status in the past even though I invariably have a green/teal card which is not usually visible when round the boat.   I was able to eat meals in the suite dining room and was treated like any purple carded passenger.

Till, one evening, I was at "Dining with Officers" and had to show my card at one point.   One pair of passengers at the table pointedly refused to speak to Pauline or I all evening!!!   The next morning at breakfast you should have seen the looks they gave us!!!!!!!!   If looks could kill.

It was seen by the Concierge who asked about the problem.   I explained.  10 minutes later he made a great show of giving each of us a purple card!!!

That's exactly why an inside cabin and hanging with the common folk is fine with me. What snobs!