Britannia Now … our personal opinion and observations on board

BestGuessed

2 minutes ago, Baggy178 said:

Presumably you need wifi to work this app and as we don't intend to purchase any on-board wifi that would rule us out of using it.

Not the it worries us too much.

It'll happen when it happens ...

No Wi-fi. On board intranet 

39 minutes ago, Baggy178 said:

Presumably you need wifi to work this app and as we don't intend to purchase any on-board wifi that would rule us out of using it.

Not the it worries us too much.

It'll happen when it happens ...

Access to the webpage is via the free part of the P&O wi fi, so you dont pay anything.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bee-ess said:

I agree on both counts - they will be showing us 14 days menus next and asking us to prebook all our evening meals. This business of needing a smartphone and pre-booking things is killing it a bit for us.

Personally, I though the could have improved the app by putting MDR & buffet menus on there.

Evenings, we tend to use just the MDR, so aren't really fussed about what's available in the buffet.  But lunchtime, we tend to choose where to eat by what is on that day's lunch menu.  Which usually means checking out the menus displayed outside the MDR and buffet.  On Iona, they didn't display menus outside the MDRs or buffet.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

...On Iona, they didn't display menus outside the MDRs or buffet.

That's incredibly unhelpful and will surely lead to people roaming the buffet counters just to see if there's anything they fancy. Sounds like a recipe for chaos...

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

For main dining you don't actually have to queue 

When you are about 45 mins from wanting to dine just use the app on the phone to join the virtual queue and you will be able to walk right in

I’ve heard that once you join a virtual queue you have to keep the queue page open, also one person mentioned that they set the screen to ‘always on’. Is that necessary in order to prevent losing your position in the queue?

13 hours ago, bee-ess said:

I agree on both counts - they will be showing us 14 days menus next and asking us to prebook all our evening meals. This business of needing a smartphone and pre-booking things is killing it a bit for us.

Absolutely. We were on Iona's Maiden and the virtual queuing was a bit of a nightmare.  People were not happy.  It's fine if you want to go when everyone else doesn't, but most people like to go to dinner between 7:30pm and 8:30pm. When you have a Club Dining table you would obviously go for 8:30pm sitting;  if you prefer Freedom you turn up, and if there isn't a table ready then you were given a pager. Worked fine.

Why they can't do what Princess do I really don't know.  You can either book a table in the MDR for the same time every night, or you just turn up.  Admittedly they don't have 'Club Dining' but having the same time for your table every night is better than nothing.

We are also not at all happy with the 'new' menus. I do not know of a restaurant where you do not have 'Starters', 'Mains' and 'Desserts' listed. P&O's are weird now.  What idiot sat at some meeting and decided that 'Large Plates', 'Small Plates', etc etc was the right way to go is beyond us, and why are so many of their meals now spicy!  My Mother-in-Law has enormous problems trying to find something that isn't too spicy, or doesn't have masses of garlic in it, and don't get us started on the new Beach House menu.  It was a lovely menu before, now it's spicy and nothing else.  We simply can't go there anymore - such a shame.  Oh, and why on earth have they got rid of the Wine Waiters. The Restaurant Waiters are already rushed off their feet, without having to get wine etc for everyone, and a Wine Waiter is supposed to be an expert;  ordinary Waiters cannot possibly be expected to know which wine to choose.  Absolutely ridiculous decision to get rid of them.

Oh, and the drinks on Iona.... don't know whether it's the same now on Britannia - I sincerely hope not - but if you want an ordinary well known cocktail in any bar on Iona you can't have one. All bars have 'Signature Cocktails', plus wine and certain beers. My Husband wanted to try the new Gin on Iona. He asked for it in the Emerald Bar - answer was "No, sorry, we don't serve that here".  Don't get me wrong, the Signature Cocktails were very nice, but you should be able to ask for any well-known cocktail in any of the bars and it should be available.  This is certainly not the way to go.

All this is leading to the fact that we are, after 20 years of cruising with P&O, getting decidedly fed up with them.  I do feel sorry for the staff who are, without doubt, fabulous, and, from speaking to them ourselves, and hearing from others, not happy.

There, rant over.

(If anyone else, other than bees-ess, reads this feel free to disagree, but if you're rude and aggressive I am not interested.)

Cheers

CP

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Gettingwarmer said:

It not actually an app but a website. I haven’t actually used it myself but believe you you need to wait till boarding the ship. It is not the same as the Princess app. 

You are correct.  It's like the Cunard one (they are identical apart from the name). Once onboard you have to log in to the guest wifi and go in to Aeroplane mode. You then enter an address in to the internet (can't remember it off the top of my head) and then enter your details including the number on your cruise card. It then lets you in to 'My Holiday' and that's where you book restaurants, shows, look at your on board account (the one great improvement!) etc. etc. 

The problem is that if, like my Mother-in-Law you do not have any technological gifts, or a smart phone for that matter!, you are unable to use it. Yes, you can still book by going to see people, but P&O are obviously pushing everyone to use this, and, in doing so, disenfranchising an awful lot of passengers who have been travelling with them for many years.

20 hours ago, BestGuessed said:

Hello again …. firstly to answer Mrk2868 …. No you cannot book a time/table in either of the two MDR’s unless you want to eat at 6pm or 6.15pm.  You have to join a virtual queue via the app when you are ready to eat or a little before you are ready.   The alternative is to go to the desk and if there are no tables available at that time you will be given a pager.  

With regard to wifi, we started with the standard package but after two days we upgraded to premium as the wifi is very poor.
All I can say is the premium package works “adequately” !!

Secondly, as promised,  I asked about whether the Freedom Dining system that is operating at present is here to stay and I have been told “No” … (thank goodness for that!!).  
Apparently they had hoped to have resumed Club Dining by the time the international cruises started but they are still using the Oriental restaurant for staff dining to enable social distancing which has meant they only have Meridian and Peninsular restaurants available for guests at present, hence this system.
So from what I learned, Club Dining will eventually be brought back but not just yet.

It’s a bit vague, I know, but the good news is that the Freedom Dining system isn’t set to be permanent from what I was told.

Something else I will add here is that there are massive queues today to get into The Live Lounge to take advantage of the free wifi the ship is providing for the purpose of completing the PLF.   

My husband’s advice is that anyone who struggles with IT should perhaps ask someone at home to set up the account before you leave to make it simpler once on board.

He set ours up before we left home so that all he had to do was log into the account and finalise the details using this iPad but using our personal email addresses.   

It was quick and fairly easy process because he had completed everything he could do beforehand, while still at home. 

The problem is, that if on future cruises Passenger Locator Forms are still required and you haven’t purchased a wifi package and haven’t got a 4G enabled phone, you will have to queue to use the facility the ship is providing unless you are able to find some free wifi when ashore.

Forewarned is forearmed so hope this might help.

Just to add to this - we've already completed our PLF's and printed them off.

I rang the Helpline and you can complete the PLF as a 'Guest' within the 48 hours before you leave, which is exactly what I did yesterday morning (Thursday).

This negates any need to fill it in two days before you get back.

Hope this is helpful to some. 😊

Cheers

CP

• Like 3

All the above does not make happy reading.  Dues to go on Britannia in a few weeks time and it's a bit off-putting to say the least.  As for the lack of a proper app to book restaurants etc.  this is crazy Princess Cruise have the Medallion App.  Why can't P&O use that?  Plus on a recent Princess Cruise it was possible to do everything from the smart TV in the stateroom.  Including booking the MDR, specialty restaurants + display the various menus.

Edited by Mrk2868

After 2 days on Iona I put my smart phone in the cabin safe and left it there. Checking your onboard account on the cabin TV worked and the virtual queues I joined had me about third in the queue.

never used the MDR and apart from a 6.30 am breakfast only used the buffet in the evening once. I tend to graze rather than have big meals.

49 minutes ago, Mrk2868 said:

All the above does not make happy reading.  Dues to go on Britannia in a few weeks time and it's a bit off-putting to say the least.  As for the lack of a proper app to book restaurants etc.  this is crazy Princess Cruise have the Medallion App.  Why can't P&O use that?  Plus on a recent Princess Cruise it was possible to do everything from the smart TV in the stateroom.  Including booking the MDR, specialty restaurants + display the various menus.

I thought that when I first learnt about all this.

However, it is not as bad as it sounds.

You will not, in all probability, need to order a PCR testing kit as the Gov are set to change the rules at the end of October (the day after we return in fact - which is the 22nd Oct).  After that date, apparently, you will need only a lateral flow test, which is much cheaper and easier.

I would suggest doing the Passenger Locator Forms (if they are still needed) within the two days before you go.  This is what the Helpline told me to do.  In fact, they said that the setting up of an 'Account' had been playing up for two months and it was not worth doing it.  You need to go in without creating an account within the two days before you go.  You have to complete everything in one go as it won't save things for over a day.  At the point where it says 'have you got a QR code' say no. At the point where it gives an option of 'Stay at home' - this is what you need to tick.  It's phrased very badly and simply means you are a resident of the UK and won't be leaving once you've arrived back.

I am not sure if you will need to enter any numbers of testing kits bearing in mind things are going to change. When you order a current PCR kit you get a number (ours was from Boots and started with the letters BOOTS with numbers after it) that you input into the form at a certain point (late on in the form) but whether you get a number with a lateral flow kit I have no idea.  Presumably the Gov will remember to change the form if not!  😏

I did three of these forms within three quarters of an hour between 8:30am and 9:15am on Thursday morning ready for our trip on Britannia on Saturday 9th.

Hope this is of some help, and don't worry, it will be fine! 🙂

Cheers

CP

2 hours ago, Mrk2868 said:

don’t forget this is one person’s opinion, on other well known sites you will find lots of people who enjoyed there cruise

• Like 1

Yes, lateral flow tests have numbers. A unique identifier is printed on each test strip, my current ones start LUW and then 8 numbers.

the latest from the press this morning is that a photo of the completed test strip will need to be uploaded to somewhere or other. A lot better than the absolute shambles that would have happened if they had decided you would have to join a live video session so a medical professional could check you were not cheating.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bazrat said:

don’t forget this is one person’s opinion, on other well known sites you will find lots of people who enjoyed there cruise

Exactly!

We were fortunate enough to take three staycation cruises this summer, two on Britannia and one on Iona, and we thoroughly enjoyed every day spent on these ships. 

With regard to the My Holiday intranet page, we found that this improved with each cruise.  On our last cruise, which was also Britannia's final home coastal sailing, we didn't experience any problems with it at all.  Admittedly I am a regular smart phone user so found it easy to use but can understand how some might struggle.  There is always help at hand on the ship for those who need it or pagers at the restaurants for those without smartphones or tablets.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, davecttr said:

After 2 days on Iona I put my smart phone in the cabin safe and left it there. Checking your onboard account on the cabin TV worked and the virtual queues I joined had me about third in the queue.

never used the MDR and apart from a 6.30 am breakfast only used the buffet in the evening once. I tend to graze rather than have big meals.

We have arrived in our hotel in Menorca. You have to book restaurants on their app. Surprise , surprise. The app works fine on DW's iphone but not on my android. Just like we found on P&O. Perhaps P&O sacked a few IT staff, who now work for Insotel.🤔

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We have arrived in our hotel in Menorca. You have to book restaurants on their app. Surprise , surprise. The app works fine on DW's iphone but not on my android. Just like we found on P&O. Perhaps P&O sacked a few IT staff, who now work for Insotel.🤔

My phone is an Android and it worked OK on P&O. It only cost £60 new and was not recommended by Which because it is not fast enough for online gaming - who cares, it does everything I want it to do. Next cruise I am taking my Samsung tablet as well as i have just found out it is better for reading e-books than my ancient kindle. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Astrajet said:

Exactly!

We were fortunate enough to take three staycation cruises this summer, two on Britannia and one on Iona, and we thoroughly enjoyed every day spent on these ships. 

With regard to the My Holiday intranet page, we found that this improved with each cruise.  On our last cruise, which was also Britannia's final home coastal sailing, we didn't experience any problems with it at all.  Admittedly I am a regular smart phone user so found it easy to use but can understand how some might struggle.  There is always help at hand on the ship for those who need it or pagers at the restaurants for those without smartphones or tablets.

We have also taken 3 Staycation cruises this year. 2 Britannia and 1 Iona. They were fine, not the same a our 30+ other Cruises, but we knew they would be different and dealt with it. The iPhone worked better than the andriod, but some folk used neither and coped fine. Life is different. Anyone who expects everything to be the same as before isn't being realistic. We just spent 2 hours on a plane wearing a mask. No any grumbling. Folk were happy to be going on holiday.😁

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Personally, I though the could have improved the app by putting MDR & buffet menus on there.

Evenings, we tend to use just the MDR, so aren't really fussed about what's available in the buffet.  But lunchtime, we tend to choose where to eat by what is on that day's lunch menu.  Which usually means checking out the menus displayed outside the MDR and buffet.  On Iona, they didn't display menus outside the MDRs or buffet.

We went into Coral restaurant on several occasions at lunchtime and there was no menu's outside.

On one occasion when we sat down there was nothing on the menu we wanted.

On the way out I spoke to the restaurant manager and told him it was unusual not to have a menu outside and he said they were looking into posting menu's outside.

Graham.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bazrat said:

I agree.

We thoroughly enjoyed our staycation cruise on Britannia and Iona and I was always in favour of port inclusive cruises.

Graham.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Astrajet said:

Exactly!

On Iona the My Holiday desk was extremely helpful and the nice lady put the My Holiday app shortcut widget on my phone screen which made using the app very easy.

2 hours ago, zap99 said:

Pleased you have arrived safely.

I hope your holiday is fantastic.

Graham.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Cruise Puss said:

Absolutely. We were on Iona's Maiden and the virtual queuing was a bit of a nightmare.  People were not happy.  It's fine if you want to go when everyone else doesn't, but most people like to go to dinner between 7:30pm and 8:30pm. When you have a Club Dining table you would obviously go for 8:30pm sitting;  if you prefer Freedom you turn up, and if there isn't a table ready then you were given a pager. Worked fine.

Why they can't do what Princess do I really don't know.  You can either book a table in the MDR for the same time every night, or you just turn up.  Admittedly they don't have 'Club Dining' but having the same time for your table every night is better than nothing.

We are also not at all happy with the 'new' menus. I do not know of a restaurant where you do not have 'Starters', 'Mains' and 'Desserts' listed. P&O's are weird now.  What idiot sat at some meeting and decided that 'Large Plates', 'Small Plates', etc etc was the right way to go is beyond us, and why are so many of their meals now spicy!  My Mother-in-Law has enormous problems trying to find something that isn't too spicy, or doesn't have masses of garlic in it, and don't get us started on the new Beach House menu.  It was a lovely menu before, now it's spicy and nothing else.  We simply can't go there anymore - such a shame.  Oh, and why on earth have they got rid of the Wine Waiters. The Restaurant Waiters are already rushed off their feet, without having to get wine etc for everyone, and a Wine Waiter is supposed to be an expert;  ordinary Waiters cannot possibly be expected to know which wine to choose.  Absolutely ridiculous decision to get rid of them.

Oh, and the drinks on Iona.... don't know whether it's the same now on Britannia - I sincerely hope not - but if you want an ordinary well known cocktail in any bar on Iona you can't have one. All bars have 'Signature Cocktails', plus wine and certain beers. My Husband wanted to try the new Gin on Iona. He asked for it in the Emerald Bar - answer was "No, sorry, we don't serve that here".  Don't get me wrong, the Signature Cocktails were very nice, but you should be able to ask for any well-known cocktail in any of the bars and it should be available.  This is certainly not the way to go.

All this is leading to the fact that we are, after 20 years of cruising with P&O, getting decidedly fed up with them.  I do feel sorry for the staff who are, without doubt, fabulous, and, from speaking to them ourselves, and hearing from others, not happy.

There, rant over.

(If anyone else, other than bees-ess, reads this feel free to disagree, but if you're rude and aggressive I am not interested.)

Cheers

CP

My guess (and hope) is that the new Menus will only be for Iona and Our Vera (Arvia). The reason I am guessing this is that I feel with the new ships they are very much going all-out to foster new business from younger, more casual cruisers. I've been 'lurking' on a public chat group on the 'dark side' for Iona and there are lots of comments from folks saying the food is great and when you look at the profile pics, these folk appear younger than the past average demographic of P&O.

Whilst I consider myself far from 'old' - whatever that might mean - I don't like spicy food either and the mention of chilli is bound to set me off on a rant 😱😂. If the mdr menus on Aurora next summer limit my choice, that would be another reason (it's a growing list) for me to defect permanently to other lines.

On 10/7/2021 at 6:37 PM, Eglesbrech said:

Two issues here. 

1. Complete lack of spontaneity. (Book shows days in advance - really!)

2.  You need a smart phone (or to be bothered carrying one about with you on what is after all supposed to be a holiday).

I know what you mean but we went on holiday to the Lake District in July and had to book attractions and restaurants in advance. Also needed to use my phone to book things later in the week as I didn’t want to book every day before we went!