Covid on Iona

Cathygh

Would also like to point out that in all other parts of society close contacts for covid isolation are NOT just who you share a bedroom with

Share a table for food or drink for more than 15 mins

Share a taxi, minibus etc

Have a spa treatment or beauty treatment 

All these spring to mind as risks of having to test and or quarantine etc

Lots of close contacts. Must be even more examples for the crew on board who work in kitchens and share cabins together etc

I am getting concerned now cruising proper has started and Covid cases are occurring. I am due to pay my balance on 28th of this month for my Iona Feb 22 cruise. If there are more cases on the next Iona cruise commencing on Sat 9th Oct, I may change my cruise to later next year.

Just a quick update. It has been reported elsewhere that currently Cadiz is the only Spanish port insisting that pax with Covid and their companions are quarantined in Cadiz. That certainly gives me some reassurance for my next cruise( not to Cadiz) that if I test positive on board I can stay in an isolation cabin (with the proviso that I don't become so ill I need to be hospitalised)

I  not so sure these covid protocol problems as seen by some people here is that different to the normal cruising situation.  After all if you are off loaded from a ship with any illness, you would have to have insurance to cover the illness with any medical care and costs of repatriation as well as the costs for any companion to remain with you if necessary.  It would also mean people who would not normally fly, would likely need to do so.

If as one person has suggested, the insurance companies are not going to cover the cost of a travelling companion staying with the ill person, that would be a concern, though in practise, if the person who is ill is not seriously ill, then the travelling companion could stay in quarantine accommodation on the ship as Moley had said would happen.  It may be desirable to stay together, but surely not an essential for most able bodied people.

Edited by tring

7 hours ago, davecttr said:

I have been reading the detail of my insurance policy this morning. It appears quarantine is covered if you have the positive PCR test as you are ill and quarantine because your companion is ill is covered under curtailment of your holiday up to £5000, as long as the quarantine, which can be in accommodation or hospital is on the instruction of medical professionals. 

Thanks for this information - are you willing to say which insurance company you are with

3 minutes ago, tring said:

I  not so sure these covid protocol problems as seen by some people here is that different to the normal cruising situation.  After all if you are off loaded from a ship with any illness, you would have to have insurance to cover the illness and any medical care and costs of repatriation as well as the costs for any companion to remain with you if necessary.  It would also mean people who would not normally fly, would likely need to do so.

If as one person has suggested, the insurance companies are not going to cover the cost of a travelling companion staying with the I'll person, that would be a concern, though in practise, if the person who is I'll is not seriously ill, then the travelling companion could stay in quarantine accommodation on the ship as Moley had said would happen.  Itay be desirable to stay together, but surely not an essential for most able bodied people.

Possibly not essential but good to have the choice.On a previous Caribbean cruise a chap was taken to a hospital in Madeira and his wife had the choice of staying in Madeira where P and O would organise a hotel for her to stay in or of staying on the ship to Southampton.If I was taken off the ship in a foreign country to be quarantined in a hotel for a couple of weeks I would want my hubby to be with me.If I was seriously ill in a hospital abroad I would focus more on wanting the best treatment and it would be a bonus if my hubby was with me

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, ann141 said:

Possibly not essential but good to have the choice.On a previous Caribbean cruise a chap was taken to a hospital in Madeira and his wife had the choice of staying in Madeira where P and O would organise a hotel for her to stay in or of staying on the ship to Southampton.If I was taken off the ship in a foreign country to be quarantined in a hotel for a couple of weeks I would want my hubby to be with me.If I was seriously ill in a hospital abroad I would focus more on wanting the best treatment and it would be a bonus if my hubby was with me

Yes, I do see the advantages, and certainly so if the person is, or becomes, seriously ill.  TBH I am sure we would just pay up if necessary and stay together.  It all depends on how ill people are though and what their priorities are, so I was just suggesting there could be an alternative.

Edited by tring

2 hours ago, Ardennais said:

Para 1 - will be there be any unvaccinated children?

Para 2 - ok, I get it that different ports have different protocols. That still doesn’t excuse P&O (or any cruise line) from communicating what might happen. After all, it’s not a trivial matter. Having to leave the ship (and again, I fully accept the protocol) could be a very frightening experience for someone. Just flipping warn people!

But what other protocols are published in case they don’t suit? Firefighting policy, norovirus policy, man overboard policy? These things can’t be governed by consensus,

4 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

I have been asked to forward them Molecrochip's exact wording as on their initial response, again there would be no cover!

Obviously my wording is just that, my summary of how I understand the situation at hand. It’s not official wording.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

But what other protocols are published in case they don’t suit? Firefighting policy, norovirus policy, man overboard policy? These things can’t be governed by consensus.

You misunderstand. The protocols are fine. I trust P&O believe it or not. But a little transparency would be welcome. Look at it from a customer point of view. Cruise lines have been pushing the ‘cruise with confidence’ line, and at the same time, there has been endless talk of quarantine areas being prepared (and some of our members here have had their bookings cancelled to help make this happen). What are these quarantine cabins for? It’s quite evident that a lot of people thought that they were for MILD covid cases. It appears now that this might not be the case in all areas. How difficult is it to communicate properly with prospective customers and with passengers who already have bookings? I get several emails a week from P&O but very few of them are relevant/helpful. Ask the comms team to make better use of their time! 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

You misunderstand. The protocols are fine. I trust P&O believe it or not. But a little transparency would be welcome. Look at it from a customer point of view. Cruise lines have been pushing the ‘cruise with confidence’ line, and at the same time, there has been endless talk of quarantine areas being prepared (and some of our members here have had their bookings cancelled to help make this happen). What are these quarantine cabins for? It’s quite evident that a lot of people thought that they were for MILD covid cases. It appears now that this might not be the case in all areas. How difficult is it to communicate properly with prospective customers and with passengers who already have bookings? I get several emails a week from P&O but very few of them are relevant/helpful. Ask the comms team to make better use of their time! 

I do appreciate what you are saying but I suppose my view is that no matter how much information you put in the public domain, someone will always want more.

Additionally, when the exact answer could change from cruise to cruise, or even over the course of a cruise then you risk giving people information which generates more concern than is helpful.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, molecrochip said:

But what other protocols are published in case they don’t suit? Firefighting policy, norovirus policy, man overboard policy? These things can’t be governed by consensus,

Obviously my wording is just that, my summary of how I understand the situation at hand. It’s not official wording.

I do of course realise that. As the only contact which has answered me in months is the CEO's office I have asked them for clarification.  I am sure there will be an answer one way or the other. With 3 P&O and a Cunard cruise due in the next 5 months I would appreciate some comfort and clarification from the cruise company just in case I should find myself in trouble, particularly when I am travelling on one occasion for the first time with an 82 year old lady who has not cruised for 11 years.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tring said:

I  not so sure these covid protocol problems as seen by some people here is that different to the normal cruising situation.  After all if you are off loaded from a ship with any illness, you would have to have insurance to cover the illness with any medical care and costs of repatriation as well as the costs for any companion to remain with you if necessary.  It would also mean people who would not normally fly, would likely need to do so.

There is lot of truth in what you say but the big difference in this case is all the talk recently of quarantine cabins and isolation on board which rightly or wrongly led people to believe that they would only have to leave the ship if they were really unwell. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

I do appreciate what you are saying but I suppose my view is that no matter how much information you put in the public domain, someone will always want more.

Additionally, when the exact answer could change from cruise to cruise, or even over the course of a cruise then you risk giving people information which generates more concern than is helpful.

Yes, some will always want more. But currently, there’s not a lot! 

Anyway, cruising is looking increasingly unappealing for me in its current form (however I’ve loved reading about recent cruises on these boards). We’ve had two brilliant breaks in the UK this summer and another booked for the Peak District in a few weeks.  The booking agencies have clear websites and good communication. And I’m really hoping that we find ourselves tempted to cruise again next year! 

23 hours ago, molecrochip said:

Yes, there are quarantine cabins on board both for positive cases and separately for close contacts. These will used by anyone testing positive until they are disembarked. They will also be used for precautionary quarantining of close contacts.  Close contacts are not disembarked as they may not be positive.

I may be totally wrong but as I understand the posts elsewhere neither P&O nor the passengers wanted the passengers disembarked, it was Spanish officials who insisted.  If this is true the close contact (the wife) did not have an option and had to go with no choice.  The husband was positive and therefore medically requiring quarantine and meeting any insurance terms.  The wife however, according to the insurance companies I have enquired of, would not meet their terms for a claim under the policy and someone other than the insurer would have to meet these costs.  This may well be P&O as Molecrochip suggested, but the question then would be would they then look to the passenger for reimbursement if the insurance claim fails?

Unfortunately this is not an apparently clear cut case of companion travel in the way of a normal evacuation from the ship with the wife accompanying her husband. The insurance companies appear to not cover people sharing cabins being offloaded if they are not Covid positive at the point of intervention by the local authorities. P&O having now had a problem with this must surely now seek an urgent address to this type of event to ensure their protocols cover it.

Realistically the only people who can clarify who is paying these costs are (1) P&O, (2) the insurance companies or (3) the individuals involved.  Once this is clear other passengers will be aware.  This case is "in legal terms (sic)" a test case.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

I completely agree with what you say Moley. I am concerned that the guesswork and speculation that is so widespread in this thread is not helpful. Sure, if you are concerned about your insurance cover, check with your insurance provider and accept that some may offer better cover than others but don’t assume all insurance companies have the same approach. Ditto ports, countries and cruise operators. Everybody needs to trust that those involved in their holiday have the best interest of their cruisers at heart. If you cannot do this, go to somewhere where you can.

29 minutes ago, pete14 said:

I completely agree with what you say Moley. I am concerned that the guesswork and speculation that is so widespread in this thread is not helpful. Sure, if you are concerned about your insurance cover, check with your insurance provider and accept that some may offer better cover than others but don’t assume all insurance companies have the same approach. Ditto ports, countries and cruise operators. Everybody needs to trust that those involved in their holiday have the best interest of their cruisers at heart. If you cannot do this, go to somewhere where you can.

Which is exactly what I’ve done! 
And I might suggest that there would be less guesswork and speculation if only things were made clearer by those who have, as you say, ‘the best interest of their cruisers at heart’. 

19 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Sure, if you are concerned about your insurance cover, check with your insurance provider and accept that some may offer better cover than others but don’t assume all insurance companies have the same approach. Ditto ports, countries and cruise operators.

Very good advice, hence I've checked with not only my own and my travelling companions' insurance companies but also P&O's recommended insurer who are absolutely nothing to do with me.  The latter was done for exactly the reason you state: I hoped they would take a different approach and offer the better cover.

At the end if the day most travel insurance policies are underwritten by five or so companies, despite the headline name on the headed paper.  It therefore follows that if the underwriter is the same then so is the answer.

As I have said several times everything is supposition at this time and only those involved can give clarification.  If this is a situation that possibly slips between the cracks on Covid insurance no one will close it unless those insured and the cruise companies seek clarification and rectification.  The whole Covid scene is moving daily and international cruising has only just resumed. Better to ensure new scenarios are sorted now rather than left to fester. I'm sure know one wants to see lurid press coverage the likes of which we saw when cruise ships were first in trouble.

2 hours ago, molecrochip said:

In this case though Moley, the information is critical as to whether you would feel comfortable cruising knowing you might be quarantined in a foreign port until you test negative for covid, then have to fly home. Since my wife's stroke we have not flown and I know she would feel very uncomfortable having to be manhandled into an aircraft seat, and be unable to easily or comfortable use the onboard toilet if necessary. Many other people just hate flying either due to fear, claustrophobia or just plainly unhappy with the experience.

Surely P&O management can appreciate this, or can they.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

In this case though Moley, the information is critical as to whether you would feel comfortable cruising knowing you might be quarantined in a foreign port until you test negative for covid, then have to fly home. Since my wife's stroke we have not flown and I know she would feel very uncomfortable having to be manhandled into an aircraft seat, and be unable to easily or comfortable use the onboard toilet if necessary. Many other people just hate flying either due to fear, claustrophobia or just plainly unhappy with the experience.

Surely P&O management can appreciate this, or can they.

John, I absolutely understand your position, but surely the same concerns would arise if you or your wife had a heart  attack, developed pneumonia etc. You would need to hospitalised ashore, and in due course flown home. Covid is no different,  apart of course,  from the need to quarantine. 

When you cruised previously,  were you not concerned about what would happen in the event of a serious illness .

4 hours ago, bee-ess said:

Thanks for this information - are you willing to say which insurance company you are with

Cover For You

I just had another read of the policy wording and the covid cover for cruise passengers documents. It appears that the quarantine being compulsory is critical and you need a letter saying so as evidence. apart from medical  doctors etc it appears that public health authorities etc also included so Cadiz insisting on quarantine would apply, I think!

Please don't take my opinion as the truth, it is just my opinion, there are a lot of words in those documents to wade through.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

John, I absolutely understand your position, but surely the same concerns would arise if you or your wife had a heart  attack, developed pneumonia etc. You would need to hospitalised ashore, and in due course flown home. Covid is no different,  apart of course,  from the need to quarantine. 

When you cruised previously,  were you not concerned about what would happen in the event of a serious illness .

Evacuations of ships so so rare for those reasons in comparison to the number from Covid though

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Evacuations of ships so so rare for those reasons in comparison to the number from Covid though

Actually I recall a number of medical evacuations being talked about on these pages in recent weeks,  but only one (this one) that is Covid related. 

Medical evacuations are not infrequent, and yet the situation regarding the partner of the patient, accomodation,  onward transport etc, never seems to have been raised as a matter of concern. 

Maybe the reason people are more worried about this type of situation is the non familiarity of it. Certainly that is my problem. If a normal medical emergency arises the ship's crew, insurance company and in most cases the affected people would know exactly how things would be handled and swing swiftly into action. Whilst not a nice thought these matters can be considered and weighed up before booking your holiday, you can assess your odds so to speak and if you follow the rules know that help is at hand and achievable as required.

With these Covid problems no one is sure what will actually happen and the rules are by necessity being made up on the hoof by all parties   Obviously if a person is seriously unwell we would assume 100% the normal practice would take place to ensure the best care is offered.

The normal rules however do not in all instances apply in a case of someone being quarantined with no signs of illness while their partner is unwell, possibly seriously.  No one is asking for a crystal ball, but merely to be given a full picture of what risks and scenarios they should consider before deciding to go on a holiday or cruise.

The insurance companies will be the same, something that hasn't been considered may be overlooked, not deliberately but because no one had thought that might happen.

Unfortunately we all know of the problems associated with claims from insurance. The odds of catching Covid are unfortunately quite high and a clearly understandable policy and course of action is essential before people 

Indeed on the ship, I would agree. However people are getting on and off the ship regardless of in bubbles or not.  There is no way of knowing if the person becomes infected ashore and inadvertently brings it back. Whether we like it or not worldwide there is a high risk of catching it.  Figures published last week showed that some of the Caribbean islands including Barbados, Dominica and the BVI currently have some of the highest infection rates in the world.

• Like 1