Captain's Schedule

UnMe4ever2gether

21 hours ago, miched said:

Now if you want to talk about Cruise Directors they may make a difference.   

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I felt the same indifference towards cruise directors as I do to the cab driver steering the ship, but then I took a Princess cruise with Cruise Director Matt O, who has the same kind of following as Cap'n Kate.   And I was actually turned into a Matt O fan.  

Once I take a Cap'n Kate cruise, I may have to come back to this thread and eat crow!  Four and twenty blackbirds ....

21 hours ago, miched said:

Alex is great.  So is his brother that is also a Captain on X. Captain  Leo is another great captain.   Honestly I can’t think of any bad Captains on X, they are all great.  

Now if you want to talk about Cruise Directors they may make a difference.    Don’t like the one with the initials S D.   I think a there is a shoulder replacement or operation that will be required from the constant self back patting.

Eddy  Jenkins is one of the best.  Introduces the show and is gone.   No corny jokes that we have heard numerous times.  He  doesn’t try to be a celebrity but his daytime shows are fantastic and the one about his life is a not to miss.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Just to clarify.    Captain Alex does not have a brother who is a Captain on board a Celebrity ship.  The Kayfetsis (spelling is probably incorrect, sorry about that) brothers, Dimitri and Tasos are brothers on Celebrity ships and are both Captains.     I believe these are the brothers you were referring to.

18 hours ago, canderson said:

(Cross-posted from another thread)

Actually, who's in charge can be of far more impact than you might imagine, but not necessarily in the manner you might think.

The demeanor of the captain, specifically with regard to his/her approach to crew matters and their welfare can change the entire tenor of a ship.  Not that we've ever had a bad X cruise with respect to service, but there have been certain ships at certain times where it was apparent that the crew felt more appreciated and were truly happy to be working for a particular captain. 

Granted, there are a few layers of management in between, but a caring captain's wishes are clearly communicated to those that report to him, and as the captain, has the discretion to directly support and encourage the crew in a myriad of ways to make their time aboard ship a better experience.

When the crew is really happy, it shows clearly on the customer-facing side of things, and the captain has a lot to do with that.

I agree 100% with @canderson  The captain sets the tone for the entire ship. While he/she may be several layers from most of the crew we deal with on a daily basis, how the captain works with and treats his/her direct reports filters down for the good or bad. 

• Thanks 2

On 10/6/2021 at 5:00 PM, Team Stag said:

Unless it's Capt Kate.  She's kind of rock star with a major following.

Congratulations! The over/under on mentioning Captain Kate was 5 posts and you came in at 4. (Just having a little fun).

7 hours ago, Welland said:

Just to clarify.    Captain Alex does not have a brother who is a Captain on board a Celebrity ship.  The Kayfetsis (spelling is probably incorrect, sorry about that) brothers, Dimitri and Tasos are brothers on Celebrity ships and are both Captains.     I believe these are the brothers you were referring to.

You are right.   Thanks for the correction.  My mistake.  I forgot  about Dimitri.  He is also another with a great attitude and sense of humor.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

7 hours ago, Welland said:

Correct but Dimitrios and Tasos Kafetzis. And Alex has a father who was Captain with Celebrity before.

8 hours ago, miched said:

You are right.   Thanks for the correction.  My mistake.  I forgot  about Dimitri.  He is also another with a great attitude and sense of humor.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

No problem.   Here's hoping you can avoid a lot of the ice and snow this year and be cruising somewhere warm.    🙂

8 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

Correct but Dimitrios and Tasos Kafetzis. And Alex has a father who was Captain with Celebrity before.

I knew that Captain Alex's father was a Captain but he never mentioned that he worked for Celebrity in the past.  That is news to me.    🙂

23 minutes ago, Welland said:

I knew that Captain Alex's father was a Captain but he never mentioned that he worked for Celebrity in the past.  That is news to me.    🙂

I might be wrong in that point and mixed up similar family names (Alex Papadopolous and the former great Celebrity Captain Ioannis Papanikolaou....) 

Edited by Saab4444

On 10/9/2021 at 10:29 AM, Saab4444 said:

I might be wrong in that point and mixed up similar family names (Alex Papadopolous and the former great Celebrity Captain Ioannis Papanikolaou....) 

Ahh those easy Greek surnames!😀

• Haha 1

On 10/6/2021 at 3:05 PM, UnMe4ever2gether said:

Is there a way to find out which Captain will be on which ship?

YES !!  Take the cruise and on the first night attend the " Welcome Aboard " reception in the theatre.

When the CD shouts " NOW, PUT YOUR HANDS TOGETHER FOR THE CAPTAIN OF THE VESSLE " --- That's the Captain !!!

He/she will get a louder " shout out " and more cheers ( ?? ) than the Chief Engineer , the Assistant Head of Security or the other 23 Heads of " Whatever " they introduce.

Here's a funny one ( ?? ) you might hear from the Captain  ---

" We welcome you on board as Guests and will bid you good bye as Cargo " .

LOL--- Guess who's been on too many cruises ???? 

• Haha 3

Never understood that term of put your hands together.

I went up to a CD and said to him to put his hands together, he shrugged and did it.  I that said now that your hands are together are you going to pray?    He said no he was just doing it because I asked him to, and I said you always tell us to do that.   He still didn’t understand the point I was trying to make until I further explained it.    That night he still told everyone to put their hands together.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

4 minutes ago, miched said:

Never understood that term of put your hands together.

How about :

" GIVE IT UP FOR XXX "   LOL-- What are we  " giving up " and WHY should we " give it up " ???  

" DO WE HAVE ANY CANADIANS ON BOARD " ?? -- And we all cheer like crazy -- even though the CD could care less who's from where.  ( Hey, it's a job ).

And, " DON'T FORGET TO FILL IN THE SURVEY "---- every second day. 

Lastly, WHY do we cheer and give a standing ovation for the 92 yr old couple who are on their 26th B2B cruise ? There seems to be a couple like that on every cruise.

Yup--- I've been on too many cruises.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, canderson said:

Speaking of captain's surnames... How does one correctly pronounce the last bit of Larsson-Fedde?

Both "e" are pronounced like in Celebrity and short. The "F" is like France and the "d" are pronounced like one d and short. Best way to describe it in writting, sorry... He is now COO of Hurtigruten in Norway.  

Edited by Saab4444

4 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

Both "e" are pronounced like in Celebrity and short. The "F" is like France and the "d" are pronounced like one d and short. Best way to describe it in writting, sorry... He is now COO of Hurtigruten in Norway.  

Didn't know he had moved on.  Any idea who will be taking over for him?  Hope they promoted from within.

5 hours ago, canderson said:

Didn't know he had moved on.  Any idea who will be taking over for him?  Hope they promoted from within.

You mean take over as a Captain? He left already some years ago and has worked ashore. He was a great Captain and definitely the best singer of them.

12 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

You mean take over as a Captain? He left already some years ago and has worked ashore. He was a great Captain and definitely the best singer of them.

We've been out of the loop for a few years.  Who's manning the helm these days?

15 minutes ago, canderson said:

We've been out of the loop for a few years.  Who's manning the helm these days?

Elon Musk has sold them on Tesla, and Celebrity is the pilot group for the Captainless ship.