Covid ??

Electra 7

Can anyone tell me what the covid practice is on board if someone takes unwell I assumed (never assume!!) when they said there would be enough cabins for isolation that we would be put in a cabin onboard the ship

having read about the couple onboard p&o who have been put into isolation in separate rooms in a hotel in Cadiz wondered if this was what would happen on board Queen Elizabeth 

• Like 1

Queen Elizabeth hasn't had any cruises with foreign port calls yet so the issue hasn't arisen but other cruise lines sailing in Europe seem to be following a similar process. Quarantining passengers and then off loading them into isolation at the next port. There are first and second hand reports from various countries/cruise lines.

That would be logical - they will want to offload a sick person ASAP regardless of the disease - but particularly COVID - I'm sure they don't have full ICU facilities on board to deal with a very sick COVID patient 

10 hours ago, lissie said:

That would be logical - they will want to offload a sick person ASAP regardless of the disease - but particularly COVID - I'm sure they don't have full ICU facilities on board to deal with a very sick COVID patient 

That would present a big problem on a T/A because the QM2 can be hundreds even thousands of miles from anywhere a patient could get ICU treatment.

• Like 1

Cruise ship medical centers generally just stablilize and keep a patient comfortable until he or she can be transferred to shore or evacuated.  It's a risk we all take when we sign on. 

Me?  I'm not worried about getting so sick that I would need hospitalization in an ICU.  I do worry about a single positive test sending me to disembarkation and quarantine in a foreign port.  Then I'll be stuck until two negatives test come back.  

• Like 2

I have a Covid related question that I hope someone can answer.

I will be boarding QM2 in New York in June next year. I presume I will have to do a test pre boarding but not sure how that works. Will it be dockside, immediately before boarding or do I need to do one before that? If so, do I need to order a kit? We are touring round the US before the cruise, so not really got a fixed abode.

any advice would be helpful, thank you.

47 minutes ago, Kristal Blade said:

Yes, it’s all in a state of flux!

Just need to check up in a few months and hope everything has calmed down by then.

Just for the fun of it how much time do you have in NYC? If it is like 1 or 2 days and the U.S in June still requires test for entry you might be able to kill 2 birds with 1 stone so to speak.

17 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Just for the fun of it how much time do you have in NYC? If it is like 1 or 2 days and the U.S in June still requires test for entry you might be able to kill 2 birds with 1 stone so to speak.

Well, we fly into Las Vegas for 3 nights in May, then tour around Utah before heading to Denver. We fly to NYC for one night. So, I expect we might need to do a test for our entry into Vegas but it will be out of date before we board.

On 10/7/2021 at 2:34 PM, Electra 7 said:

Can anyone tell me what the covid practice is on board if someone takes unwell I assumed (never assume!!) when they said there would be enough cabins for isolation that we would be put in a cabin onboard the ship

having read about the couple onboard p&o who have been put into isolation in separate rooms in a hotel in Cadiz wondered if this was what would happen on board Queen Elizabeth 

I believe that was at the insistence of the Cadiz authorities and that it was the only Spanish port to do that. As for whether off loading passengers from Cunard/P&O is the official policy we won't know for sure until more Covid cases are reported on board. The thread entitled Covid on Iona on the P&O board is worth a read. The original information came from the postings of the couple who were offloaded, on the book of faces and I am hoping they can provide an update soon.