Cancel NCL AIR

Oxo

Just tried to cancel my NCL Air, one way from MIAMI to Michigan for 12/4.

They said that if we take the airfare off in any way the money spent on it would be lost as it's already in penalty as it's 51 days before sailing date.

Another example of NCL!

They can really urinate people off. 

JMO!

37 minutes ago, Oxo said:

They said that if we take the airfare off in any way the money spent on it would be lost as it's already in penalty as it's 51 days before sailing date.

Another example of NCL!

JMO!

It's after final payment, correct? 

• Like 1

It would be nice if they would assign your flights before the final payment so that you can decide whether or not you want to cancel.  You have to know going in that you are probably not going to get the best return flights after a cruise.  

It outlines it pretty clearly in the fine print, which everyone really should read before signing up for the airfare promo. If you can't commit to the air promo with literally little to no expectations, then you just shouldn't do it. It's not for you. We did it, knowing that quite literally anything could happen. We received a 7AM departure 940AM arrival the day of embarkation and a 7PM departure 945PM arrival back home. We had literally no expectations, we just wanted to take advantage of the rates, we read all the small print before committing. I'm sorry but I just see this so often when I'm lurking and I don't really understand what people are expecting to receive? There's so many threads on this, and the fine print lets you know WHEN the flights will be booked (typically 45-60 days out), and that after final payment they're non-refundable. 

Edited by kamikazii
  • Like 8

Not this, AGAIN!

Once your final flights are available in your account there's no going back as the tickets are bought.  THAT should be no surprise.

See this thread for my comments on these issues - 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hallux said:

Not this, AGAIN!

Once your final flights are available in your account there's no going back as the tickets are bought.  THAT should be no surprise.

See this thread for my comments on these issues - 

Love this. It's really concerning to me that people just book/agree to the air promo, and don't read what they're getting themselves into.

NCL isn't pulling one over on ya, folks, they're doing exactly what they've said they're going to do. If that doesn't work for you, don't book the promo.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Oxo said:

Another example of NCL!

JMO!

Why cancel? Why not just pay the change fee and change it if you don't like the flight?

We used NCL Air once and it was great. I even upgraded the both of us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oxo said:

Another example of NCL!

JMO!

It's after final payment.  Cannot cancel the air you signed up for.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, newty25 said:

Why cancel? Why not just pay the change fee and change it if you don't like the flight?

We used NCL Air once and it was great. I even upgraded the both of us.

You can't change the flights when you use the promo.

• Like 1

Slightly different situation but no response back from NCL upper mgmt as of yet.  I wanted to change the return gateway - this was around day 85. 

• you can add a deviation up to day 75
  • you can cancel airfare (or the entire cruise) at day 60
  • They book your airfare around day 45.

But you can't change the gateway after 90 days.  ***** - how is changing the gateway any different to changing the date(s) of your flights, with respect to booking tickets.  Especially since they are on notice that not changing the gateway might result in cancellation of the cruise.

19 minutes ago, hallux said:

Does that mean the airline will stop you from making a change?

I've only used it once and didn't change the flight, but we definitely upgraded our seats... which is a change.

31 minutes ago, newty25 said:

Does that mean the airline will stop you from making a change?

I've only used it once and didn't change the flight, but we definitely upgraded our seats... which is a change.

You can upgrade anything on the flight that you're booked (seat/class, etc) provided there is availability. You cannot change your flight in its entirety (date or time, etc). 

I knew when I posted this ist would get some of the funny responses. 

Read the fine print!

I'm sure those who state this do read all the fine print.  LOL

FYI - I posted this for others to be aware of it. There are many other subjects that are posted over and over everyday. People do not read everything. 

I still came out ahead in $s. However, why can't NCL get your reservations to you  before 60 days? 

Maybe the armchair layers/cheerleaders will help NCL be more responsive. LOL

I still saved over $150 on using NCL Air.

Case close! Out to Sea!

2 minutes ago, Oxo said:

FYI - I posted this for others to be aware of it. There are many other subjects that are posted over and over everyday. People do not read everything.

Agree.  This thread is exactly that.  The OP did not read what had been posted over and over, and chose to complain about it.

5 minutes ago, Oxo said:

I still came out ahead in $s. However, why can't NCL get your reservations to you  before 60 days? 

Because if you go find the other topics on this you will find that NCL isn't even making the bookings until then.  They do this in order to get the best rates on the tickets.

1 minute ago, Middleager said:

The OP did not read what had been posted over and over, and chose to complain about it.

You responded to the OP...

16 minutes ago, hallux said:

Because if you go find the other topics on this you will find that NCL isn't even making the bookings until then.  They do this in order to get the best rates on the tickets.

Maybe he didn't read the fine print. LOL

2 hours ago, hallux said:

It probably depends on the airline. I'm booked in October using the 2nd guest free airfare promo. It's on  Delta and was able to change the flight times for our flights. Delta doesn't charge change fees so I just had to pay a $35 difference in fares.

Who really reads the fine print other than lawyers and perhaps travel agents.  The guest ticket contract is 15 pages of single spaced goobly gark and the addition terms and conditions are only slightly easier to read.  Then you should read all the information about Sail Safe and all the FAQ’s that are included.  Oh, let’s not forget to read about the terms and conditions for the “Free at Sea” promotions.  Of course you should also read the many pages concerning Required Travel Documentation and also the Guest Conduct Policy.  When you’re done reading all that, the one thing everyone really should read is the Cruise Industry Passenger Bill of Rights.  Funny how the passenger bill of rights is so short compared to all the other documentation.

I think responses that say you should read the terms and conditions or the fine print are just plain ridiculous.  Did these people read all the terms and condition of all the software on their computer, or Microsoft’s T&C, or the T&C of the computer manufacturer?  I’d bet not.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

I think responses that say you should read the terms and conditions or the fine print are just plain ridiculous.  Did these people read all the terms and condition of all the software on their computer, or Microsoft’s T&C, or the T&C of the computer manufacturer?  I’d bet not.

Remember when we use to get User Manuals for PCs, TV, Phones, etc.?

Who read them? That is why the Manufacturers stopped sending them out. Wasted paper and money. 

9 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

Who really reads the fine print other than lawyers and perhaps travel agents.  The guest ticket contract is 15 pages of single spaced goobly gark and the addition terms and conditions are only slightly easier to read.  Then you should read all the information about Sail Safe and all the FAQ’s that are included.  Oh, let’s not forget to read about the terms and conditions for the “Free at Sea” promotions.  Of course you should also read the many pages concerning Required Travel Documentation and also the Guest Conduct Policy.  When you’re done reading all that, the one thing everyone really should read is the Cruise Industry Passenger Bill of Rights.  Funny how the passenger bill of rights is so short compared to all the other documentation.

I think you have to consider your audience. People who care enough to read cruise related message boards are just the type of people to also read the descriptions of what they are buying.

I also think that "Who really reads..." is probably the group of people who aren't caught of guard and surprised by the "unknown".

Caveat emptor.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kamikazii said:

It outlines it pretty clearly in the fine print, which everyone really should read before signing up for the airfare promo. If you can't commit to the air promo with literally little to no expectations, then you just shouldn't do it. It's not for you. We did it, knowing that quite literally anything could happen. We received a 7AM departure 940AM arrival the day of embarkation and a 7PM departure 945PM arrival back home. We had literally no expectations, we just wanted to take advantage of the rates, we read all the small print before committing. I'm sorry but I just see this so often when I'm lurking and I don't really understand what people are expecting to receive? There's so many threads on this, and the fine print lets you know WHEN the flights will be booked (typically 45-60 days out), and that after final payment they're non-refundable. 

Also, I don’t think many people realize there is a different cancellation/refund schedule for flights than the actual cruise. 

26 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

I’d bet not.

I at least skim the cruise-related ones for what seem to be important information.  NCL isn't hiding anything, they make the terms available through a link in the booking process.  Wouldn't it be nice to at least have an idea as to what you're entitled to?

I've seen fine print on a number of automotive ads that say something to the effect of "European model shown, your region may differ".  Is that a deceptive practice also?  Or ads that show a top-line version of a vehicle, then in the fine print on the great lease offer it says that the offer is only available on some mid-tier or even base model.

The point is, the "fine print" is everywhere in our lives.  It takes all of 2 minutes to follow the link to the terms of the FAS promo and skim through to see what it gives you.  If you can't spare the 2 minutes to be educated about a large purchase, maybe some better time management is in order...

Sounds like you are stuck with the assigned flight as you are in the penalty period. 

When we last cruised in December 2019 we also had booked the free air promo. We ended up going to a different destination post-cruise for my husband's work Christmas party but decided to leave the "free" air promo in place and just booked our flights to the new destination on our own... we were no shows at the airport.

You can always do the same with no financial loss at this point. 

For what it's worth, when I priced that December cruise both with and without the air, there was no difference in the fare so it genuinely was a "freebie" as such you are should not be out of pocket for not using the flight.

Perhaps you can just think of it as a perk you are unable to take advantage of this time around.

Most importantly, enjoy your cruise! 

Edited by JillK
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, hallux said:

Yes, I purposely responded to the OP.  The OP complained, as if NCL is at fault for OP's own ignorance.

OP felt being urinated on by NCL, yet also seems happy to still come out ahead in $s.  So the OP likes to cruise with NCL, even after been urinated on by NCL.

10 minutes ago, Middleager said:

Yes, I purposely responded to the OP.  The OP complained, as if NCL is at fault for OP's own ignorance.

OP felt being urinated on by NCL, yet also seems happy to still come out ahead in $s.  So the OP likes to cruise with NCL, even after been urinated on by NCL.

My choice,  my opinion. I pay my way and have a right to express my opinion.

You expressed your opinion,  too.