EQUINOX October 8, 2021 Live/Live-ish

PinkSandGirl

7 hours ago, cbfb said:

So excited for you! Nothing like being back on the ship!! Enjoy! We are on the Equinox in January. I have never sailed out of FLL. Is the terminal walking distance from the parking garage? I thought I read something about a shuttle. 

We had transportation to bring us so I don't know where the parking garage is.  I can find out.  I know someone parked and had a shuttle bring them.  I don't know if that's the only parking and the one you would park at.  I didn't notice a parking garage directly within walking distance. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, M&JfromSDL said:

So excited for you.  We are sailing on Edge tomorrow. We are staying at the Hilton Marina tonight and will take some photos of your sail away!  Enjoy your cruise!

Have a great cruise!  We stayed at the Le Meridien.  It is by the airport but a great hotel.  We would stay there again.  Nice atmosphere, lovely pool and outdoor area, friendly staff, clean, and good food/cocktails. 

They also have a shuttle to pick you up from the airport.  

16 hours ago, PinkSandGirl said:

Have a great cruise!  We stayed at the Le Meridien.  It is by the airport but a great hotel.  We would stay there again.  Nice atmosphere, lovely pool and outdoor area, friendly staff, clean, and good food/cocktails. 

They also have a shuttle to pick you up from the airport.  

🍹

We also love the LeMeridien but were disappointed that Toro and the Tequila Library were closed on Sundays.  The pool area is so relaxing.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, PinkSandGirl said:

We had transportation to bring us so I don't know where the parking garage is.  I can find out.  I know someone parked and had a shuttle bring them.  I don't know if that's the only parking and the one you would park at.  I didn't notice a parking garage directly within walking distance. 

If you are at terminal 25..(the EDGE terminal.parking  lot) it does require someone to walk.  We drop luggage, I stay with carryons while dh goes back around to park and then walks back to meet me.  Works ok if not raining or too sunny.  

Not the ideal situation but an  inconvenience you can work with.   The terminal re design did not improve parking and roadways as hoped! 

• Thanks 1

On 10/8/2021 at 5:35 PM, TXranchgal said:

We are sailing on the Equinox on October 20th, so we REALLY appreciate your updates and commentary.  It was exciting to follow Jim & Iain for the past month to gather info.  We'll be following your updates with particular interest since we are leaving when you get back and going to the same ports.  Hoping you have a fantastic cruise.

We're on the Oct 20 sailing, too!  Come join our roll call:  

• Thanks 1

Hi!  I apologize for not updating more often with information and pictures.  I go to post and the posts will not upload/stay.  I also can not get pictures to upload.  They show up with an 'X'.  

We upgraded the internet late this afternoon so hopefully I can get things to post and pictures to upload. 

The last we sailed, the internet we had was great and we were able to use WiFi calling.  The standard internet that is part of the All Inclusive is not capable of WiFi calling and the internet...it all depends on the site you are on.  Texting and e-mails come through fine.  

🍹

NASSAU, BAHAMAS. 

A quick but big update.  We were able to get off and explore on our own.  This just changed.  We found out yesterday when we boarded.  There was a paper with information for each port.  

Originally Grand Cayman was a port stop but that was switched out to Nassau.  We were going to get off but then they changed it to only being able to get off with Celebrity Excursions. We were not going to do that because we didn't want to chance getting caught up in a possible covid close contact tracing scenario.  However,  we were able to get off.  Only vaccinated guests.  Any kids onboard under 12 could not explore on their own (or their parents).

We went to the Queen's Staircase and then a brewery/restaurant near the ship.  

I will post pictures.  

🍹

• Thanks 1

Day #2. Nassau 

We had an enjoyable day.  My mom and dad went to Blu for breakfast and they loved it.  I decided last night I would order room service for breakfast.   We got off in Nassau.  We needed to show our vaccine card, passport and scan our Sea Pass in order to get off.   We walked to the Queen's Staircase.  It was a little tricky realizing where it was but figured it out.  We entered from ground level (below).   There are locals there that will explain the history.  It isn't a requirement to go through with a 'guide' but I am glad we did.  We learned a lot.  Tipping was greatly appreciated.   It was a beautiful area.  A sad story of the lives lost and pain that many people went through but it's good that they share the stories of their ancestors and to make sure that never happens again.  It was hot.  It was good we brought water with us. 😉 We then walked back close to the port and ate at a brewery/restaurant, Pirate Republic Brewery.  Friendly service, good food (limited menu but food was good) and local beer.  We didn't have to wear masks to walk around, thankfully...because it was hot.  Some restaurants and stores had signs posted that masks were required but not all did.

We then decided to go back to the ship.   Ahh...Celebrity had the tents set up with flavored waters,  cold towels and seating.  

Getting back into Port we needed to show our Sea Pass.  To get on the ship, a flash of the passport and Sea Pass and then the Sea Pass scanned onboard.  You go through x-ray security after that. 

It was hot so the pool was calling our names.   The outdoor pool was more crowded than I imagined based on recent accounts of other cruises.  It wasn't like it was on fully booked ships though.  It was hot so we went to the Solarium.  The water was perfect.  Oh, we did get drinks at the Pool Bar as well.  After some pool time it was time for another drink and a snack.  We went to the buffet.  There was limited food due to the time but enough for us to snack on.  The ship was supposed to leave at 4pm.  We pushed back around 3:40pm. The water is a beautiful color so of course more pictures were taken.  We had some 'errands' to run.   A stop at Cafe al Bacio for an Iced Black Tea. A reservation for Le Petit Chef (we couldn't find anyone to book with but a bartender in the Ensemble Lounge said we could do it on the app.  Yes, we could and we did).  A visit to iLounge to inquire about the not so great internet and then upgrade.  If you are a Captain's Club member you get a discount (different % based on tier).  Then, Craft Social for a cocktail.  We sat outside of Craft Social since there were very enthusiastic sports fans watching a game.  It was then time to Blow some Glass.   Well, My dad's turn. He made a pumpkin.  Very cool thing to do.    His time was 6pm which was perfect since it wasn't so hot.  I have a class tomorrow.  We have both done it before at home, we made paperweights at a glass place at home.   We went to the Sunset Bar before the class and then after.  Afterwards the Sunset was so picturesque.  

We then got ready for dinner in Blu. Another enjoyable night.  We asked for a certain table again as we left last night and it is being held for us this week.  Everyone is so nice.  

After dinner we went to see Topper.  It was enjoyable.  Colorful and the singers have good voices.  

I went to Cafe al Bacio for another Black Iced Tea and sat in one of the big yellow comfy chairs.  There were only 2 other people there.  My mom and dad joined me.  My boyfriend went to Craft Social and World Class.  As I was at Cafe al Bacio, our cabin attendant stopped by to talk.  So friendly.  I then went to Craft Social.  I am here now as I type this.  😉

I drink evian.  They are little 11.2 glass bottles.  I drink a lot of evian so I get bottles constantly at the bars.  I walk up and they know as soon as I walk up and it's only day 2. Hehe.   In Blu they have bigger bottles that they keep chilled and fill your glass as needed.  

Cruises are always wonderful.  This cruise is absolutely wonderful!  😃

🍹

• Like 1

Hi!  Good Afternoon.  Currently sitting on my balcony watching the birds soar by and listening to them squawk =),  listening to the waves as the Equinox sails through the deep blue Caribbean water and watching some white caps in the distance.  

I still can not get pictures to post.  I will keep trying. 

🍹

• Like 1

Hi!  It's been a few days.  It has been difficult to post.  We are currently in Aruba so I am connected with my cell phone provider and TravelPass. 

I have so much to fill you in about.  I will do a comprehensive review on this thread when I get home, earlier if the WiFi cooperates.   

A few notes though. 

The Captain came on the speaker on Sunday morning saying we would be stopping somewhere, unscheduled, to let off a passenger for a medical emergency, not Covid related.   Late that afternoon the Captain again updated us saying we would not be stopping in Turks & Caicos to let the passenger off, they all felt it was better to pick up speed and go right to Aruba and we would be arriving early AM Monday.  We arrived around midnight, Monday going into Tuesday.  The ship has definitely been rocking at times.

Monday night the Captain again came on and said a vaccinated guest presented themselves to the medical facilities with symptoms and then tested positive for Covid.   Contact tracing procedures were put into place.  The guest would be taken off in Aruba. 

When the Captain came on the speaker,  everyone became extremely quiet to listen.  

We are having a wonderful time.   I will attempt to post pictures.   

If you have any questions,  just ask.  

I may answer them in my posts ahead but I don't know when I will be able to update this as much as I'd like.

😃

🍹

On 10/12/2021 at 11:39 PM, abbydancer said:

I had a very descriptive post, but CC deleted it.  We were rocking because we were maintaining over 21 knots all day.  We arrived about 12:30 and about an hour later they took a person off and into an ambulance.  

I had such problems posting onboard and cruise critic would not refresh.  

Hi!   We are back home.  Safe and sound.  A wonderful trip!!!  😃 I have a lot of information to share and pictures.  I will update this thread.   

Posting became impossible while onboard.  I think it was partially the internet but a big hurdle was cruise critic.  I was able to get other sites to load but cruise critic basically seemed to freeze even when trying to refresh / re-load

A few #'s

~ 1,267 passengers (2,852 capacity)

~ 3 positive covid cases (1 announced on Day 4 and 2 announced on Day 9)

* Prayers for full recovery for all.

🍹

Here are pictures of the Equinox I took from the plane this afternoon.  It was sad to see it and know we weren't on it but...until next time!   Lots of smiles thinking about the wonderful time we had.  😍 

20211017_143759.thumb.jpg.030593d4f016e13bcee675b3fee4c373.jpg

20211017_143810.thumb.jpg.e80124bff89cff437f95c37ecea9a8f2.jpg

20211017_143817.thumb.jpg.25ffdad9ec35f265c19d76493a096c79.jpg

• Like 4

On 10/12/2021 at 10:51 PM, PinkSandGirl said:

Monday night the Captain again came on and said a vaccinated guest presented themselves to the medical facilities with symptoms and then tested positive for Covid.   Contact tracing procedures were put into place.  The guest would be taken off in Aruba. 

Any word on what happened to this passenger that was 'let off' in Aruba ? Quarantined for 2 weeks in Aruba and being flown home by Celebrity? Any announcement on the ship on how this was conducted? Were the plates and silver ware handed out to guests or were they still allowed to get their own plates at the Oceanview Cafe ? Still no hand washing station, just squirts of hand sanitizer at buffet?

Edited by morpheusofthesea

58 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Any word on what happened to this passenger that was 'let off' in Aruba ? Quarantined for 2 weeks in Aruba and being flown home by Celebrity? Any announcement on the ship on how this was conducted? Were the plates and silver ware handed out to guests or were they still allowed to get their own plates at the Oceanview Cafe ? Still no hand washing station, just squirts of hand sanitizer at buffet?

Hi!  We only heard that a passenger tested positive and would be getting off in Aruba.  There weren't any other announcements but I would say based on Celebrity's current policy that the passenger was sent home on private charter as soon as possible from Aruba.   There were an additional 2 that tested positive that we found out about on Day 9, so they got off in Fort Lauderdale.  Thankful I do not know first hand about the procedures.  

In the Oceanview Cafe you picked up your own plate and utensils were rolled in a cloth napkin that you picked up yourself. Hot & Cold beverages were self serve.  No handwashing stations.  Someone standing to squirt hand sanitizer as you walked in (only from inside entrance not from outside entrance) and also standing hand sanitizer stations at the entrances.    We went in a few times throughout the cruise and would sit away from people which was easy since capacity was 1,267...however the last day we went during lunch (1st time going in at that time) and it seemed packed.  Found a table as far away from people but as we were finishing a guy behind me sneezed mulitple times in the air and just kept going about his routine as nothing happened.  We got up immediately and left.   This would 'freak' me out anytime, not just during the current 'environment'.    Some people need lessons on hygiene but that isn't just on a cruise.  😉  The same day in the Solarium pool,  again a sneezing lady in the air as no big deal and then a guy who swam under water and came up to blow out/clear his nose into the water.  We immediately got out.  Unfortunately people do this on land as well.  I am not by any means saying it’s acceptable and I don't mean to scare anyone, but unfortunately some people in this world do not care or are oblivious to the fact they shouldn't do those things.  Except for those 3 times when I cringed,  I felt safe on the cruise.  I did not wear a mask at all on the ship. 

🍹

Edited by PinkSandGirl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, PinkSandGirl said:

I did not wear a mask at all on the ship. 

🍹

I stand corrected.  I did put on a mask one time.  When we got off the ship in Curaçao I was putting my passport away and the glass evian bottle I was holding fell (all wet from condensation) and shattered.  The glass somehow came back up and sliced both legs above my knee.  Very odd.  I was looking down to get the glass away from my feet and toes and make sure I didn't get cut but then saw blood on my legs so I put band-aids on.  My family was there and then Celebrity personnel came over.  They kept asking if I wanted to go to Medical but I said I was ok.  They kept asking and the band-aids looked like they may not have lasted all day going around Curaçao so I went.  They cleaned the glass on the ground and had caution signs. There was someone from Celebrity who walked with me to Medical.  When I went back on the ship, I had to scan my SeaPass &  go through security just like getting back on any other time.  They asked my stateroom # and wrote it on a list for Medical/incident tracking I guess.  Medical is right there on Deck 2 by the elevators, kind of hidden in the corner.   I sat in the waiting room and had my mask on.  (The one time I wore a mask onboard)   A doctor came out and asked what happened, took the band-aids off, looked at it to make sure there wasn't any glass in the cuts and put a new larger band-aid on.  It had already started to slow down.  She asked if I had diabetes or any other conditions or had any concerns and if not then to not swim for two days but if out by the pool let it get fresh air and sun, just do not go in the water.  She gave me a bunch of the larger band-aids as well.   I put neosporin on later and it started to heal quickly.  Thankfully, so I could go in the water after a few days. 😃  All of the Celebrity personnel I encountered seemed very concerned and wanted to make sure I was ok.  

🍹

View I had while sitting in a chair in the waiting room.  

20211013_112547.thumb.jpg.0da3b5d07da12f84e72e044968bea523.jpg

Edited by PinkSandGirl

1 hour ago, PinkSandGirl said:

We only heard that a passenger tested positive and would be getting off in Aruba.  There weren't any other announcements but I would say based on Celebrity's current policy that the passenger was sent home on private charter as soon as possible from Aruba.

Thank you so much for your observations. Celebrity has in the recent past, advertised the fact that they have flown these covid positives back home in a private plane. Thought this policy was ending Oct 31, 2021 and went on the Celebrity Web-site to confirm. Could not find any mention of this protocol, and it is still October. We sail the Equinox this November and did not want to be 'stranded'  and quarantined on any Caribbean island with DW 8 suitcases ( we live in Ft. Lauderdale and do want to fly). My one duffle will be the first bag she leaves behind.

The following is all I could find in the Celebrity Cruise ticket contract today:" f. Passenger Testing Positive for COVID-19 During Cruise. Passenger understands and agrees that if, after boarding, and even if Passenger has fully complied with all COVID-19 Policies and Procedures, Passenger tests positive for COVID-19 or exhibits signs or symptoms of COVID-19, Carrier may disembark, refuse re-boarding after a shore excursion, or quarantine Passenger as well as members of Passenger’s travelling party, or take other steps which Carrier determines, in its sole discretion, are necessary under the circumstances to protect the health and well-being of others. Under these circumstances, any such Passenger with a known or suspected case of infection with COVID-19 who is disembarked, refused re-boarding, or quarantined shall be entitled to a prorated refund or future cruise credit for the unused portion of the Cruise Fare. For further details, refer to Carrier’s refund and cancellation policy at www.celebritycruises.com. Each such Passenger is responsible for all other related costs and fines, including without limitation travel expenses. Under no circumstances shall Carrier be liable to any such Passenger for any costs, damages or expenses whatsoever incurred by any Passenger." 

Leaves the passenger 'holding the bag'.

8 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Thank you so much for your observations. Celebrity has in the recent past, advertised the fact that they have flown these covid positives back home in a private plane. Thought this policy was ending Oct 31, 2021 and went on the Celebrity Web-site to confirm. Could not find any mention of this protocol, and it is still October. We sail the Equinox this November and did not want to be 'stranded'  and quarantined on any Caribbean island with DW 8 suitcases ( we live in Ft. Lauderdale and do want to fly). My one duffle will be the first bag she leaves behind.

The following is all I could find in the Celebrity Cruise ticket contract today:" f. Passenger Testing Positive for COVID-19 During Cruise. Passenger understands and agrees that if, after boarding, and even if Passenger has fully complied with all COVID-19 Policies and Procedures, Passenger tests positive for COVID-19 or exhibits signs or symptoms of COVID-19, Carrier may disembark, refuse re-boarding after a shore excursion, or quarantine Passenger as well as members of Passenger’s travelling party, or take other steps which Carrier determines, in its sole discretion, are necessary under the circumstances to protect the health and well-being of others. Under these circumstances, any such Passenger with a known or suspected case of infection with COVID-19 who is disembarked, refused re-boarding, or quarantined shall be entitled to a prorated refund or future cruise credit for the unused portion of the Cruise Fare. For further details, refer to Carrier’s refund and cancellation policy at www.celebritycruises.com. Each such Passenger is responsible for all other related costs and fines, including without limitation travel expenses. Under no circumstances shall Carrier be liable to any such Passenger for any costs, damages or expenses whatsoever incurred by any Passenger." 

Leaves the passenger 'holding the bag'.

They've extended the Covid assistance until December 31, 2021

From the website:  

Book a Celebrity cruise that’s sailing on or before December 31, 2021 and you’ll have the following reassurance at no extra charge:

100% cruise fare refund for you, and your Traveling Party, if any of you tests positive for COVID-19 within 14 days prior to the cruise or at the boarding terminal.**

Pro-rated cruise fare refund for anyone who has their cruise cut short due to testing positive for COVID-19 or being suspected of having COVID-19 during the cruise.

If you test positive for COVID-19 during the cruise, Celebrity Cruises will cover the cost of COVID-19 related medical treatment onboard, any required land-based quarantine, and homebound travel for you and your Traveling Party.

• Thanks 1