Medallion and dress code

cruisnfool

So I understand you download the app….we have used one on other lines but is the Medallion something else you need and is it mailed to you or do you get it on board?

i can’t find info on dress code is it same as before with 2 formal nights or have they gone casual?

Edited by cruisnfool

1 hour ago, cruisnfool said:

So I understand you download the app….we have used one on other lines but is the Medallion something else you need and is it mailed to you or do you get it on board?

i can’t find info on dress code is it same as before with 2 formal nights or have they gone casual?

No change on dress codes for formal nights - yes 2 per 7 day cruise.  However I have gone away from the tux and the suit.  I wear slacks, button down shirt and sports coat - no tie

5 hours ago, cruisnfool said:

You place your medallion order through the app. They'll mail it to you two or three weeks before your cruise. Or you can choose to pick it up at the pier. 

Just a note regarding having your medallion mailed to you.  We had ours sent (actually it usually comes by FedEx) prior to the second Majestic sailing to Alaska this year.  My wife's would not scan properly at the pier.  The best guess was that the battery had run down.  We had received them about 3 weeks prior to the cruise.  They just said to go to Customer Service on board and a new one would be supplied (actually they just replaced the battery).  About 3 days into the cruise *mine* quit unlocking the door.  Same problem!  Customer Service replaced the battery and I was good to go...both of us for the rest of the sailing.

It's quite possible that ours had just been sitting on a shelf for quite some time before the Alaska sailings got started up (just a guess).  I've not heard of anyone else with a similar story...but I find it a very strange coincidence that BOTH of ours dropped out within 2-3 days of each other.  YMMV!

Dress codes can be found on the travel summary on your account on the website along with itinerary and payment details etc and luggage tags. This isnt on the app. Ours was a 7 night British isles cruise and it said there would be 2 formal nights but there was infact only one for some reason. On the only formal night held we were pleasantly surprised most people stuck to the code, many in dinner suits and long dresses.

• Like 1

The Dress code in my opinion has been completely ignored.  When we first started Cruising in 1999, the formal night was really formal. I only wore a suit and tie, my wife in a formal gown and we felt under dressed. Our last cruise (about 2years ago) we were similar attire and now we feel overdressed for formal nights.  I'd personally like to see the formal nights come back or a little more stringent enforcement of the formal nights but maybe reduce it to one night instead of 2 for 7 night cruise and so forth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Formal Night" is a legacy from the heydays of First Class transoceanic travel.  Dressing up for the evening meal was the norm.  Crew member playing a xylophone would walk the corridors of First Class playing a call to dinner.  Today its just that - anything goes.  Most people cruise to relax and enjoy new vistas and meeting new people.  "Dressing" for dinner is something from several generations ago.  What is needed is enforcement of "no shoes/no service" rules; the wearing of beachwear at dinner should not be permitted.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

"Dressing" for dinner is something from several generations ago.  What is needed is enforcement of "no shoes/no service" rules; the wearing of beachwear at dinner should not be permitted.

And get rid of the baseball caps worn backward at dinner in any of the dining venues.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I don’t advocate a tux and ball gown but something still dressier than a casual night. I miss those nights. We have become such a casual society that the younger ones don’t understand there is certain types of dress for certain occasion. Oh well it’s hard to let go of traditions.

thanks for the responses.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PRNole47 said:

And get rid of the baseball caps worn backward at dinner in any of the dining venues.

And cowboy hats. I don't care where you're from.

Dress codes are what they are. If one longs for enforced formal wear nights, then Cunard is your line.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, mom says said:

And cowboy hats. I don't care where you're from.

Dress codes are what they are. If one longs for enforced formal wear nights, then Cunard is your line.

On our first cruise in 2009 (Carnival) we got in line for the MDR on Christmas Eve.  My husband and I were dressed according to the guidelines.  The man behind us was dressed in a Chicago Bulls basketball uniform, several gold chains, tennis shoes and socks.  The hostess informed him he could either change his attire or go to the Lido for dinner.  I wish more people dressed inappropriately would be turned away from the MDR.  Yes, I am old and follow rules.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2