Signature suite guaranteed category question

steve4031

I just booked one of these on the Konigsdam and see that there are 14 signature suites and 45 Neptune suites. When I researched I looked for the minimum cabin I would be happy with and a signature suite is perfect.  That being said, I was curious how often a signature guarantee resulted in an upgrade.  

ps.   I will not be mad if I don’t get upgraded.  It looks like all the signature suites are safely between floors with cabins.  

would it be advisable to put a note not to upgrade if it’s possible to get a Neptune suite underneath the lido deck?  

thank you for your patience. I’m still a bit of a rookie with cruising. This would be my 7th iirc. 

Although it has happened once in a blue moon, being upgraded to a Neptune is unlikely.

You may be offered an upsell which means you’ll pay a lesser cost than if the Neptune had been booked originally - sometimes a steal of a deal and sometimes not.  Usually when that happens, you will be told what rooms are offered and be able to choose.

You were wise to book a cabin you would be happy wth 👍 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, steve4031 said:

When I researched I looked for the minimum cabin I would be happy with and a signature suite is perfect.  

This is the single most important piece of travel advice I give people. Fingers crossed for a great upsell deal for you!!

Just out of curiosity how much more would might I be asked to pay if an up sell became available?

another question:   What does “no host minibar” mean?   I’m assuming that’s a refrigerator for drinks, etc. I’m assuming if I take something out of there there’s a charge.   

29 minutes ago, steve4031 said:

Just out of curiosity how much more would might I be asked to pay if an up sell became available?

Hard to say as it depends on the itinerary, number of days of the cruise and how well the Neptune Suites are selling (assuming some are available).

It could be 1/2 the difference between the Signature & Neptune Suite, could be a lot less but with the few Neptune Suites on this class of ship it could be more.  The most important thing is to decide what you would be willing to pay if you get the offer as you will not be the only one receiving the offer and a quick decision is a must 😉 

29 minutes ago, steve4031 said:

another question:   What does “no host minibar” mean?   I’m assuming that’s a refrigerator for drinks, etc. I’m assuming if I take something out of there there’s a charge.   

That’s exactly what a “no host” minibar is.  You are charged for whatever you consume.

• Like 1

Here is a real life example of upsell offers we recently received for our upcoming 14 day TA.  We are in a VF verandah....

upsell price PER PERSON

• Vista Suite $499
  • Sig Suite $1199
  • Neptune Suite $1849

That was way above our pay grade and we quickly passed

The Pinnacle class HAL ships have FAR fewer Signature and Neptune cabins than the older Vista  class ones do, thus upsells will be less likely to happen and likely will be more expensive.  Further, givne this limited number plus the fact that people are now aware of the upsell program, I think a free upgrade to a Neptune is highly unlikely.  Thus, if you are not happy with any of the Koningsdam Neptunes, I would mark my reservation Do Not Upgrade (you still will get upsell offers (if any) and if you do you can normally pick your cabin from whats available of course).

I like booking a Signature cabin in a Vista class ship (4 of them) as the great number of Neptunes often results in some very good upsell offers ($200-300 per week of sailing).  In the past, 90% of the time we have booked a Signature suite in a Vista class ship we have been offered an upsell.

Once, I booked veranda cabin on the Westerdam.  Was offered an attractive upsell to a Signature Suite.  Took it.  Two days before sailing. an attractive upsell was offered for an aft Neptune Suite.  After a few minutes of dithering, I accepted it.  Doing so provided another different travel experience.  

Please notice the word once in my post.  Given my history with HAL,  that is the only time such an upsell offer  has been made.  

• Like 1

In Dec. 2020 we decided to book the 25 day Hawaii/Mexico cruise for Feb. 2022.  We got the last SA Neptune on the Koningsdam and that category has been sold out for 10 months.  On popular sailings an upgrade or upsell from a Signature to Neptune is unlikely.  We had a Signature for our July Alaska 2021 cruise and even at 5* we were not offered or upgraded.  My big box TA states that they don't offer upsells, but an upgrade is possible.

In Aug. 2019 I did make an offer for an upsell from an A verandah on the Volendam to a Neptune (BB TA did allow the upsell at that time)  To my surprise HAL returned the money I paid in the form of a future cruise credit as we would have been upgraded anyway as there were a lot of Neptunes available on the Amazon Explorer.   It was also for our 50th Anniversary and was money well spent!  It was our last cruise before  COVID.

Hope you get your wish, with HAL you never know!

Our Oosterdam cruise of Greece next August has the SS in a guarantee basis only as are the Neptune suites for booking. With so many FCC out there people are booking like mad for 2022 to use the credits before they expire. We booked our SS last January as a back up for a cruise that was ultimately canceled for last month to Greece. At the time we booked there were only 4 SS cabins available. I am sure some bookings will be canceled before we sail next year but I am not expecting any upsells to be available.  By selling "guarantees" HAL is banking on current bookings being canceled.

We also have a Oceania cruise of the Baltics booked as a pre cruise to our HAL cruise and every category on that cruise are now available as "Wait List" only. By wait listing Oceania is not guaranteeing that a cabin will be available. We also booked this cruise last January when most categories were wide open, but like HAL there are many people with FCC that want to be booked and used in 2022.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, oaktreerb said:

Would you be happy with SY5001 or SY5002, forward deck 5?  I would choose a cabin if I want to be centrally located on the ship.  If you are offered a paid upgrade to a Neptune Suite you can choose your stateroom.

That’s an interesting location. Wouldn’t those balconies be more exposed to wind?

1 hour ago, steve4031 said:

That’s an interesting location. Wouldn’t those balconies be more exposed to wind?

I haven’t been in that cabin but have been in a similar location on another ship.  There are pictures posted on halfacts.com for 5001.

3 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

Would you be happy with SY5001 or SY5002

The SY suites are so categorized for a reason and one needs to consider the potential issues with those suites.

I avoid Signature Suites that are directly under the upper pool deck.  Potential noise is a concern of mine.  

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

The SY suites are so categorized for a reason and one needs to consider the potential issues with those suites.

I avoid Signature Suites that are directly under the upper pool deck.  Potential noise is a concern of mine.  

There are no Signature Suites on Deck 8.

We sailed on the Nieuw Amsterdam to Alaska last month -- our first time on HAL (not our first cruise).  We originally booked a balcony cabin (I forget which specific category).  We called about 3 or 4 weeks before sailing and the quoted price to upgrade to a suite was essentially the difference in the price we paid and the current advertised suite price (a couple thousand $).  

We called back just outside of two weeks prior and the cost to upgrade to a Signature was offered at $129 pp.  Neptune was $479 pp.  Note:  We called Holland directly, even though we had a TA.  This guy dealt directly with us, which I don't think they normally do?

Then, TWO HOURS before our noon embarkation time, our TA called with an offer to upgrade to a Neptune for $179 pp.  We jumped on it.

Timing is, I'm sure, a factor.  But also who you talk to.  As I said, it was our first time on Holland, so I don't have any other personal comparison.

Not sure if this is helpful at all, but this was our experience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheBiskit said:

We sailed on the Nieuw Amsterdam to Alaska last month -- our first time on HAL (not our first cruise).  We originally booked a balcony cabin (I forget which specific category).  We called about 3 or 4 weeks before sailing and the quoted price to upgrade to a suite was essentially the difference in the price we paid and the current advertised suite price (a couple thousand $).  

We called back just outside of two weeks prior and the cost to upgrade to a Signature was offered at $129 pp.  Neptune was $479 pp.  Note:  We called Holland directly, even though we had a TA.  This guy dealt directly with us, which I don't think they normally do?

Then, TWO HOURS before our noon embarkation time, our TA called with an offer to upgrade to a Neptune for $179 pp.  We jumped on it.

Timing is, I'm sure, a factor.  But also who you talk to.  As I said, it was our first time on Holland, so I don't have any other personal comparison.

Not sure if this is helpful at all, but this was our experience.

Fabulous 🙂. But we need to keep in mind that the N A was sailing well below capacity.  Well below.  That won’t be the case in the near future which means cabin availability will dimish.

Neptune suites on my sailing in May are sold out.

22 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

That is not what I recall.  If the staterooms under the Lido Deck were not Signature Suites, what category were they?  

On the Konigsdam, I believe those are vista suites. The signature suites are on deck 7.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Babr said:

On the Konigsdam, I believe those are vista suites. The signature suites are on deck 7.

Not accessing a deck plan, I think you may be correct.  I am remembering what I have experienced on the Vista and, I think the Signature Class ships.