Is our cabin location OK? Iona deck 16 cabin 16202

kirk87

So we are going on our first cruise on p&o iona on the 30th for 2 weeks, we chose a smaller balcony room and have been assigned a room on deck 16 room 16202, from what we can see it's right behind the bridge on the top deck. We assume this isn't a good location? Can you change rooms before you leave or once onboard, thanks for any help 

If you have booked a Saver fare, which it sounds as if you have, the T&Cs state that the cabin is assigned by P&O and is not changeable that is why it is a cheaper fare rate. Having said that you could always ask onboard or your TA before you go but I wouldnt expect much as putting you in a better positioned cabin would have cost you more if booking Select. I am afraid it is the gamble you take booking a Saver fare.

I am in 16214, 3 cabins away next year. I think it will be a quiet location as Epicurian is above and i don't think there are loud parties in there. There are some cabins forward of yours but I think they are officers cabins or maybe even the captains office etc. There will be some coming and going as they go about their duties.

As others have said, accepting booking a Saver is a gamble.  However, looking at Iona's deck plan, you've done better than the identical cabin on the other (starboard) side, which is opposite a launderette.   Whether it's not a good location depends how much time you are planning to spend in the cabin, although I assume you want to enjoy the balcony.

It will all probably be fine when you get on board, and it dawns you're on holiday, on a new ship and going somewhere warm.

Enjoy.

I wouldn't worry. In all the cruises we have done, the room has been well insulated against any noise from the corridor, so other people's comings and goings are not an issue.

Above and below are more important so if you are not under or over a noisy entertainment room or under a deck (crew moving chairs around early in the morning) you should not be bothered.

One tip - if the air conditioning is a bit noisy (normally is although I have not been on your ship), and remembering that you can't turn it off, take a set of earplugs to aid sleeping.

Hope you absolutely love your first cruise!

At the moment (for at least the past 5 days) the link on the website for selecting a "Select" cabin is intermittently stating No Cabins available if you ask to choose your own.  Only guarantee cabins selected by P&O are coming up on the Select fare button on a number of Iona cruises. With that in mind and no control over cabin selection if you book on the website it's hard to say to a first time cruiser that Select will offer him a better cabin for his money.

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

At the moment (for at least the past 5 days) the link on the website for selecting a "Select" cabin is intermittently stating No Cabins available if you ask to choose your own.  Only guarantee cabins selected by P&O are coming up on the Select fare button on a number of Iona cruises. With that in mind and no control over cabin selection if you book on the website it's hard to say to a first time cruiser that Select will offer him a better cabin for his money.

Does the website still allow you to choose a location and cabin grade on the ship, even if not the specific cabin number?

It's a bit hit and miss!  I'm looking at 27/11 cruise in particular and balcony or oceanview cabins. 8 out of 10 times I have had no option at all comes up in red above the box stating no rooms available.  The other two times I have had the option to choose a location but not a deck.  I was hoping to avoid the dreaded Deck 8 situation hence wanted to see which position on the ship might remove that option.

I have now asked my travel agent to have a look and she has confirmed she is getting the same and has raised it with P&O.

On 10/9/2021 at 10:42 AM, kirk87 said:

So we are going on our first cruise on p&o iona on the 30th for 2 weeks, we chose a smaller balcony room and have been assigned a room on deck 16 room 16202, from what we can see it's right behind the bridge on the top deck. We assume this isn't a good location? Can you change rooms before you leave or once onboard, thanks for any help 

That cabin will be fine, and frankly given that there are an awful lot of bad balcony cabins on Iona and that isn’t even close. 

The terrible balcony cabins are all those on deck 8, the awful balcony cabins are those on the front of the ship (steel fronted balconies, so no view, and storm doors shut in font in bad weather), and the poor balconies that are overly shaded on deck 15 aft (15516/7 and further back). And then there are the overlooked balconies (and cabins) from the corner balcony cabins (e.g. 15.242, 14.242, etc.).

Epicurean above doesn’t run late or open particularly early, so that shouldn’t cause any noise, and cabins are below.

The only downside is being high and at the front of the ship you will feel the movement if the sea isn’t calm, but that is solved with a seasickness pill.

1 hour ago, devonport said:

I am also on this cruise and as of today have not been allocated a cabin I am also on the cheap fare so near the launderette looks possible 🤦‍♂️

In my experience the launderettes are not noisy and being near one has the advantage that you don't have to walk miles only to find out all the machines are taken. I suppose they can be noisy if a fight starts in there which allegedly happens all the time. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I’m in exactly the same room on the Iona in December.  I booked a select price and booked early for a standard cabin but have been given one of the smaller cabins.  Is this right?  Should I ring up and complain and ask to be moved?  Would be grateful if you could let me know what this cabin was like and also for any other tips regarding booking a standard cabin and getting allocated a smaller one!!!  TIA 

4 hours ago, Cruiseraugust74 said:

Hi I’m in exactly the same room on the Iona in December.  I booked a select price and booked early for a standard cabin but have been given one of the smaller cabins.  Is this right?  Should I ring up and complain and ask to be moved?  Would be grateful if you could let me know what this cabin was like and also for any other tips regarding booking a standard cabin and getting allocated a smaller one!!!  TIA 

You need to be more specific. Did you pay Select price for a Guaranteed balcony cabin without a cabin number being allocated? If so which grade of cabin did you pay for? Each grade has specific letters and you are guaranteed a cabin at that grade or above. You need to check your invoice. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2021 at 10:42 AM, kirk87 said:

It looks like it will be an acceptable cabin to me I would keep it myself.  You may get to meet some of the senior crew as they pass. 

Regards John

On 10/12/2021 at 12:47 PM, devonport said:

I am also on this cruise and as of today have not been allocated a cabin I am also on the cheap fare so near the launderette looks possible 🤦‍♂️

Launderettes are typically run with standard opening hours and are locked over night.  When you are very close to one it is very convenient to nip in and iron a shirt etc.

Regards John

• Like 2