Question re Bermuda-required PCR test that NCL does at the pier for Breakaway cruisers

Turtles06

I've done a search and read through a number of the helpful threads from recent Breakaway cruisers to Bermuda, but I can't find an answer to the following question regarding the second PCR test required by Bermuda.

As I understand it, in addition to the PCR test that Bermuda requires 96 hours before embarkation, there's a second PCR test that Bermuda requires that NCL is doing at the pier, besides the rapid antigen test that NCL itself requires for boarding.   If the antigen test is negative, you get to board.  But the results of that second PCR test will not be known until after you sail.  My question is this:  what happens if that PCR test comes back positive?   Does NCL quarantine you on board?   (I can't believe that Bermuda wants someone disembarking in order to quarantine there.)

Thanks for any information! 

Well, I may have answered my own question.  Bermuda's instructions for Cruise Passenger Travel Authorizations contain this toward the very bottom:

"After cruise departure: All cruise passengers must take a COVID-19 PCR test on arrival into Bermuda. Results will be emailed to passengers.

Upon receipt of a negative arrival test result, cruise passengers will be allowed to disembark in Bermuda.

If you test positive at any time, you must self-isolate on the cruise ship as directed by Bermuda's Chief Medical Officer in consultation with the ship's medical staff."

https://www.gov.bm/cruise-travel-authorisation

• Thanks 1

We just got off the Bermuda sail sept 26- oct 3rd .we know first hand what happens if your second pcr comes back positive. You are quarantined on board ship , we met a couple on day one in vibe - very nice folks , did not see them rest of week figured they were just busy, but on last night of cruise, said couple called our room letting us know they had been moved after second pcr came back for Husbund positive , they were put in a different cabin along with other folks . They were very upset, ate out of styrofoam meals delivered to room , could not leave cabin , neither was sick or had any symptoms. We kept in contact with them as we were very concerned, they tested again when finally off ship Sunday oct 3 and they were negative ! Six days in a cabin and not sick . They asked to be retested by ncl but no dice .we will not cruise again if the port like Bermuda wants a test result after you are sailing , if you get a false positive too bad your still locked up in a cabin till ship returns to NY. If my test before boarding isn’t good enough and a Port of call wants a second PCR before you embark think again before taking the chance of what this poor couple experienced they were horrified and distressed with no options . I personally will not cruise to Bermuda again untill they change their policy for that second PCR ,I get it for Bermuda but I can’t imagine getting stuck in a cabin all week for a false positive nightmare.we were very fortunate this did not happen to us .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, bmlovell said:

We just got off the Bermuda sail sept 26- oct 3rd .we know first hand what happens if your second pcr comes back positive. You are quarantined on board ship , we met a couple on day one in vibe - very nice folks , did not see them rest of week figured they were just busy, but on last night of cruise, said couple called our room letting us know they had been moved after second pcr came back for Husbund positive , they were put in a different cabin along with other folks . They were very upset, ate out of styrofoam meals delivered to room , could not leave cabin , neither was sick or had any symptoms. We kept in contact with them as we were very concerned, they tested again when finally off ship Sunday oct 3 and they were negative ! Six days in a cabin and not sick . They asked to be retested by ncl but no dice .we will not cruise again if the port like Bermuda wants a test result after you are sailing , if you get a false positive too bad your still locked up in a cabin till ship returns to NY. If my test before boarding isn’t good enough and a Port of call wants a second PCR before you embark think again before taking the chance of what this poor couple experienced they were horrified and distressed with no options . I personally will not cruise to Bermuda again untill they change their policy for that second PCR ,I get it for Bermuda but I can’t imagine getting stuck in a cabin all week for a false positive nightmare.we were very fortunate this did not happen to us .

We were on this sailing with you as well.  That is horrible they should have at least allowed them to take another pcr test.  This was one of my fears of taking the first sailing - getting quarantined for the duration of the cruise but I was still willing to take a chance. I feel so badly for them hopefully they received compensation after testing negative.   

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, summercruiser20 said:

We were on this sailing with you as well.  That is horrible they should have at least allowed them to take another pcr test.  This was one of my fears of taking the first sailing - getting quarantined for the duration of the cruise but I was still willing to take a chance. I feel so badly for them hopefully they received compensation after testing negative.   

So,,, you know that they did not have to wait until day 7 for a retest. They were just pissed that they tested positive, multiple times, and got confined to a quarantine cabin. And that the story gets embellished every time it is retold. 

23 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

So,,, you know that they did not have to wait until day 7 for a retest. They were just pissed that they tested positive, multiple times, and got confined to a quarantine cabin. And that the story gets embellished every time it is retold. 

This makes more sense and reasonable to me now - tested positive multiple times and therefore confined to their cabin.  

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The couple did. Not test positive multiple times ! We actually spoke to them , the only test they took were the usual tests all of us took to sail to Bermuda 96 hr pcr then pcr at pier & the quick test at pier . They were not offered another test after the Husbunds one false positive  . They were only ably to get retested after they got off this for debarkation . They did ask ncl for another test onboard but it was not possible.

3 hours ago, summercruiser20 said:

He did tell me at the end of the of day that NCL said they would give a full future sail credit.

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

First off, that was not an embellishment, we spoke at length with this couple. They were distressed. He was thoughtful enough to not contact us until the last night because he did not want to ruin our enjoyment of our own cruise experience. I don't know where you got your information from saying they were tested positive multiple times as that is categorically untrue. Were you on our sailing? Did you have communication with any of the 40 people who were forced to stay in the cabins forward on the port side on deck 12? Some of whom were just in contact with people who had tested positive. This particular couple were not able to get any additional testing while quarantined. Anyone who sails to Bermuda who takes a PCR test on embarkation will face quarantine if that test comes back positive or inconclusive. This particular couple was asking to be retested but NCL would not. They barely gave them free movies while they were kept in quarantine. Despite this, my wife and I have another cruise booked in March on NCL. Just not to Bermuda, while this embarkation PCR is required. We have no issue with pre-embarkation rapid tests, and PCR with results prior to cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bmlovell said:

The couple did. Not test positive multiple times ! We actually spoke to them , the only test they took were the usual tests all of us took to sail to Bermuda 96 hr pcr then pcr at pier & the quick test at pier . They were not offered another test after the Husbunds one false positive  . They were only ably to get retested after they got off this for debarkation . They did ask ncl for another test onboard but it was not possible.

How do you know it was a false positive they may have been asymptomatic?

Bermuda has had very strict rules since they reopened to cruise ships in june.

Crystal cruises had 5 or 6 positive cases and bermuda gov  had all of them and their close contacts removed and sent to a hotel to quarantine.  Eventually the close contacts were allowed to leave after 2 or 3 negative tests but the positives had to stay on island for 10 or 14 days at least.

Edited by Sunshine3601

In my original comments I stated the couple retested as soon as they disembarked results were completely negative, my husband spoke to the couple when they called to tell us . I have no need to continue telling folks the same thing over and over , take what you want or not from my sharing a real actual situation that occurred on our cruise to Bermuda. My reasons for sharing were to give an actual account based on OP original question , if I were about to sail to Bermuda I would have appreciated this information. Much better to be prepared for the possibility that this could happen.happy cruising to all ! Looking forward to our next ncl getaway sail in March 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LaPorchPup said:

First off, that was not an embellishment, we spoke at length with this couple. They were distressed.

23 hours ago, bmlovell said:

They were very upset, ate out of styrofoam meals delivered to room , could not leave cabin , neither was sick or had any symptoms.

Hence the embellishment of the story. Totally agree that it sucks for them.

Food in disposable containers,,, delivered via contactless delivery,,, and that go into hazmat bags for disposal is all part of the protocol for passengers who test positive. The goal is to minimize the number of people handling anything coming out of quarantine rooms. Yes??? (You don't want contaminated dishes being handled by room service personnel, being carried through the halls of the ship, being dumped with other dirty dishes, and then handled by dishwashers).

And buying into the embellishment and then sensationalizing that they are being mistreated demonstrates how the story changes every time it gets told. "Poor people barely got free movies...." Facts like food is provided in disposable containers get spun (like in the mainstream media) to horrid abuse of the passengers. It's Fake News. People are not being mistreated, they are being handled exactly to the protocol to keep everyone (crew and passengers) safe. 

We've been on multiple trips and been through [planned] 14-day quarantines in tiny rooms when arriving in vacation locations. We've been on 3 cruises,,, and been tested at home before cruise, at the terminal during check-in and onboard ships. Understand the drill.  And we understand what the protocols call for if we were to test positive. And we have 3 more cruises booked in the near future.  

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, bmlovell said:

In my original comments I stated the couple retested as soon as they disembarked results were completely negative, my husband spoke to the couple when they called to tell us . I have no need to continue telling folks the same thing over and over , take what you want or not from my sharing a real actual situation that occurred on our cruise to Bermuda. My reasons for sharing were to give an actual account based on OP original question , if I were about to sail to Bermuda I would have appreciated this information. Much better to be prepared for the possibility that this could happen.happy cruising to all ! Looking forward to our next ncl getaway sail in March 

I was also on 9/26 Breakaway.  

It's one thing to relay a story.  I suppose the issue is you went a step further and stated the conclusion that they were "false positive" without anything backing up that assertion. That's why @Sunshine3601and others questioning you.  

Yes, they have very strict protocols that they follow carefully so the room service trays with china, cutlery and cloth napkins apparently give way to disposable containers.

Glad that your friends tested negative upon return and hope they look forward to their free cruise.  

As for others (you say 40) who may have been put in quarantine (I was unaware), you posted "Some of whom were just in contact with people who had tested positive." 

Huh?  That's exactly what the cruise line is committed to do.  As a passenger on that cruise, thank God they located those who may have been exposed and isolated them until further information suggests otherwise.  I know if I were exposed to someone positive I sure would want NCL to pull me out of "general pop" to protect myself and others.  Wouldn't you?

Of course, that's a scenario we all dread and a risk we take now when cruising under covid.  

Weird because usually such news - of your friends and any others - travels like wildfire around a ship, often getting embellished along the way.  I mingled with Cruise Critic folks who also generally pass along info especially regarding covid.  Somehow I missed all of this.

p.s. turtles06, you have mail (finally!). Happy sails!

Edited by snorklinbarb

44 minutes ago, snorklinbarb said:

I was also on 9/26 Breakaway.  

It's one thing to relay a story.  I suppose the issue is you went a step further and stated the conclusion that they were "false positive" without anything backing up that assertion. That's why @Sunshine3601and others questioning you.  

Yes, they have very strict protocols that they follow carefully so the room service trays with china, cutlery and cloth napkins apparently give way to disposable containers.

Glad that your friends tested negative upon return and hope they look forward to their free cruise.  

As for others (you say 40) who may have been put in quarantine (I was unaware), you posted "Some of whom were just in contact with people who had tested positive." 

Huh?  That's exactly what the cruise line is committed to do.  As a passenger on that cruise, thank God they located those who may have been exposed and isolated them until further information suggests otherwise.  I know if I were exposed to someone positive I sure would want NCL to pull me out of "general pop" to protect myself and others.  Wouldn't you?

Of course, that's a scenario we all dread and a risk we take now when cruising under covid.  

Weird because usually such news - of your friends and any others - travels like wildfire around a ship, often getting embellished along the way.  I mingled with Cruise Critic folks who also generally pass along info especially regarding covid.  Somehow I missed all of this.

p.s. turtles06, you have mail (finally!). Happy sails!

I did not go a step further I just told the facts I had did you read the part my husband added that we spoke to the couple via phone that they tested  again immediately after disembarking ship and we’re negative. The reason you missed all of this is because the couple doesn’t know you and did not call you ! We did not know ourselves untill last evening of cruise . As far as NCL I never said there protocol was not needed . The reason I’m booking cruises now is because I feel safe with them . I was merely sharing this couples experience and how they described it to us on the phone , over several conversations. If the couple themselves were on this board and gave there experience I figure folks would give them a hard time as well . I can’t win . The difference with cruising to Bermuda is that last PCR test where results don’t come back till your out at sea and at that point can’t just go home .I hope folks can just read what I’ve posted without suggesting I’m embellishing or have a problem with ncl . I love ncl just relayed what could possibly happen on a Bermuda sailing again folks to answer OP question.

9 minutes ago, bmlovell said:

I love ncl just relayed what could possibly happen on a Bermuda sailing again folks to answer OP question.

OP here thanking you for the information you provided.  It has helped make clear what NCL will do if someone's PCR test at the pier comes back positive.   Thanks again, and I'm glad the folks involved are okay.

10 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Hence the embellishment of the story. Totally agree that it sucks for them.

Food in disposable containers,,, delivered via contactless delivery,,, and that go into hazmat bags for disposal is all part of the protocol for passengers who test positive. The goal is to minimize the number of people handling anything coming out of quarantine rooms. Yes??? (You don't want contaminated dishes being handled by room service personnel, being carried through the halls of the ship, being dumped with other dirty dishes, and then handled by dishwashers).

And buying into the embellishment and then sensationalizing that they are being mistreated demonstrates how the story changes every time it gets told. "Poor people barely got free movies...." Facts like food is provided in disposable containers get spun (like in the mainstream media) to horrid abuse of the passengers. It's Fake News. People are not being mistreated, they are being handled exactly to the protocol to keep everyone (crew and passengers) safe. 

We've been on multiple trips and been through [planned] 14-day quarantines in tiny rooms when arriving in vacation locations. We've been on 3 cruises,,, and been tested at home before cruise, at the terminal during check-in and onboard ships. Understand the drill.  And we understand what the protocols call for if we were to test positive. And we have 3 more cruises booked in the near future.  

Bird travels I never disagreed with ncl protocols this is why I sail with them ! As I said several times I relayed there experience as they described on the phone several conversations. I’m glad your  enjoying your cruises that’s awesome you have been on 3 so far . Yes we all know ncl testing protocol and agree with it . Let me ask have you sailed on a cruise that requires a PCR at the pier ? I’m not talking about the quick 15 min one that’s standard for all ncl sailings . That’s what makes the Bermuda cruise different because that extra PCR doesn’t give results till like day 2 on your cruise. On all other cruises you get onboard knowing your all set because your test results came back before you boarded ! This was my point in sharing the info. To OP 

1 minute ago, Turtles06 said:

OP here thanking you for the information you provided.  It has helped make clear what NCL will do if someone's PCR test at the pier comes back positive.   Thanks again, and I'm glad the folks involved are okay.

I’m sorry my information made some folks annoyed with me on your OP . I only shared to help folks be prepared but sailing to Bermuda is a unique set of requirements, unlike all other sailing with ncl at this time . It’s that last PCR at the pier that leaves you hanging till day  2 of sail hoping no mistakes are made and you are good to go . 

What confuses me is that on another thread, either here or on the other social media page, someone said they were approached while in the casino by two security guards and were taken down to the medical center because their PCR tests were inconclusive.  They retested them and it came out negative.  So why wouldn't NCL retest this couple?

PCR tests are much more accurate than (Rapid) Antigen tests.

False positive PCR tests are extremely rare - about 0.02% (1 in every 5,000) of everyone tested in screening settings will be a false positive.
On the flip side, about 1.6% of antigen tests (80 in every 5,000) will be a false negative. 

86D38235-5906-4D62-81A0-E13E73775D22.jpeg.098cc5a08fcc41402d87a181a01cca21.jpeg

• Like 1

Different situation, but for our 10/3 Bermuda sailing, for the 96 hour PCR test, we had one person from our social media group fail who admitted to feeling really sick, but thought it was just a cold and would be okay to make the flight out from Arizona, and another who had someone in their party fail the test TWICE and was going for a third re-test and hoping to pass until we all reminded them about the port PCR test and exactly this risk of failing that one after making it onboard, and then having to quarantine the whole trip. 

In my mind, while understanding the disappointment they must have experienced, those two cases alone (plus any others not vocal here or in that group) made the first PCR test worth it for them to not travel to the pier and mix with everyone else!  (Plus anyone else on their flights, etc.)