HAL Koningsdam 10/10/2021 Coastal California Trip Report LIVE(ish)

nimi17

8 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

I don't know but looking at these pictures, you're drinking a nice expensive bottle of champagne but

to be served a meal like that, which could be KFC on a bad night, is disgusting for a gala night dinner.

It was at the beginning of the post, but we found the 2nd gala night dinner to be so uninspiring (tenderloin w/grilled shrimp) that we took our fancy bottle of champagne from the Crow’s Nest straight to the buffet. It went very well with the bread pudding and I sure do love a good high/low 😅🥂

Edited by nimi17
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Hogladyrider said:

@nimi17......did I miss a posting in your review, if so I apologize for this question.

Did you visit BB Kings...how was the live entertainment....our favorite nite spot on HAL.

As for food, we prefer the variety and unending choices at Lido to the MDR.  We usually eat in the MDR on lobster night but we are not fans of the time it takes for the entire meal, we've got things to do with our time!

Unfortunately, we never made it to BB King’s. We were just so tired, we only made it out to a few comedy sets and a dance production (which we highly recommend).

I don’t know if this was a supplier issue but there was no lobster on either gala night unless you paid the extra surcharge (someone please correct me if I’m wrong). We found ourselves heading to the Lido for the exciting variety of dishes as well! The quality was excellent and on par with the MDR whenever I went.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nimi17 said:

Unfortunately, we never made it to BB King’s. We were just so tired, we only made it out to a few comedy sets and a dance production (which we highly recommend).

I don’t know if this was a supplier issue but there was no lobster on either gala night unless you paid the extra surcharge (someone please correct me if I’m wrong). We found ourselves heading to the Lido for the exciting variety of dishes as well! The quality was excellent and on par with the MDR whenever I went.

Nope hal has decided to charge for it.  It used to be free.  If I’m going to pay extra I’m going to a specialty restaurant not to the mdr.  Some posters like to say it’s a supply issue but other lines don’t have that issue such as Princess (same parent).  It’s funny how they don’t have the same supply issue.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, VacationCharlene said:

nimi17 I am taking advantage of seeing you were recently on board.  Could you answer ANY of these questions post-covid please 🙂

Do they still have a happy hour and what are the terms.  Was buy one and get the second exact same for $1 or $2 more.   Do you remember what the prices are for the Pinnacle Grill for LUNCH?  Laundry by the BAG still $20 stuffed?  Do you know if they had a whisky tasting?  THANKS

Happy hour: yes, they usually had one or two a day, but we didn’t stop by so I can’t tell you what the specials were.

Pinnacle Grill lunch: I believe it was $19.

Laundry: We only did the unlimited pressing which was $28. I’m not sure what the price was for laundry.

Whisky tasting: Yes! DH did the Premium tasting and the Connoisseur tasting. The latter wasn’t listed under daily events, so you’ll have to ask Guest Services. He did his tasting with Marvin, who led both tastings.

You're welcome 😄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, canadarocks said:

Isn't it cool how some of them you just LOVE? First time we got a monkey hanging from a hanger in our room, I was just floored! 🙂

Ahhh I’ve yet to find someone monkeying 🐒 about in my cabin!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

I personally love seeing the towel animals before we turn in.  On our 19 day Panama Canal cruise (seems years ago now) I had put the towel animals up on the ledge behind the couch (we were in a Neptune so lots of room)-they kept adding to it everyday never taking them down until just before we got back to Vancouver.  I took a panoramic photo of them all lined up.  Was so cool seeing all the critters in a row, lol.  

I didn’t think to do this until my third animal of the week 😭 I love that you created a little zoo in your cabin 🐈🐶🐰🧸🐒

• Like 2

Just now, nimi17 said:

That’s absolutely wonderful. I wonder how many more creatures your steward had up their sleeve! 🤣

It was such a lovely cruise in 2015 and at that time was our longest. 

Yes,  I wondered how many different ones they could do too!   We’ve also had such excellent room stewards. 

• Like 1

On 10/20/2021 at 4:24 PM, nimi17 said:

Sure, no problem! It was the fourth night. I’ll attach here as well.

749C4C0E-90F5-486C-8D77-0B75512995DB.thumb.png.c948014fd4a6fd0116bf1c8c9ae2db4a.pngF412E038-DF8F-4A66-B5BC-73DAE174DD52.thumb.png.9edfc9f787a7274dddbcb5b52e538281.png

Thanks! It actually showed up on my Navigator app yesterday, but I wasn't sure if I could figure out the correct cruise day. We're on the Kdam early next year and hopefully I'll be able to try that menu. My husband doesn't care for prime rib nor sushi, so not sure what he will select...🤔. Oh, I just saw crab cakes, he likes those; but if I remember from your original photos, you only get one, I think. By the way, your photo of the first page of the menu DID download, in case you were wondering.

Edited by PSR
updated
  • Like 1

On 10/20/2021 at 4:51 PM, nimi17 said:

Whisky tasting: Yes! DH did the Premium tasting and the Connoisseur tasting. The latter wasn’t listed under daily events, so you’ll have to ask Guest Services. He did his tasting with Marvin, who led both tastings.

Was this in the "Notes" (I think that's the name) area that has a whisk(e)y bar? Is it only open for the special tastings? I assume there is a charge....

• Like 1

On 10/20/2021 at 7:45 PM, Florida_gal_50 said:

Nope hal has decided to charge for it.  It used to be free.  If I’m going to pay extra I’m going to a specialty restaurant not to the mdr.  Some posters like to say it’s a supply issue but other lines don’t have that issue such as Princess (same parent).  It’s funny how they don’t have the same supply issue.

You bring up a great point! I’d definitely rather go to a specialty restaurant than pay extra at the MDR. 😣

• Like 2

22 hours ago, PSR said:

Thanks! It actually showed up on my Navigator app yesterday, but I wasn't sure if I could figure out the correct cruise day. We're on the Kdam early next year and hopefully I'll be able to try that menu. My husband doesn't care for prime rib nor sushi, so not sure what he will select...🤔. Oh, I just saw crab cakes, he likes those; but if I remember from your original photos, you only get one, I think. By the way, your photo of the first page of the menu DID download, in case you were wondering.

Thank you!

Our server said we were welcome to order as many items as we wished so we ordered one each of the sushi and the crab cake  🤤 The crab cakes were small but delicious. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, PSR said:

Was this in the "Notes" (I think that's the name) area that has a whisk(e)y bar? Is it only open for the special tastings? I assume there is a charge....

Yes, it was in Notes. DH says the Premium Bourbon tasting was about $40ish and the Connoisseur Whiskey $60ish (sorry he can never remember how much things cost). 

• Like 1

Room service

The good: Passion fruit yogurt was the perfect size for breakfast. The fruit was fresh and the yogurt rich yet light. 

DB0077F4-AC3B-4544-9666-FC22549A1920.thumb.jpeg.524adcf72a9c4d273c40b8727a045527.jpeg29AA02C9-A9CA-4FED-8C19-2029943DF278.thumb.jpeg.8e21fc112f8b54b12c3c2d7d08b03850.jpeg

The bad: We ordered the continental breakfast and it came with a fruit plate (not shown), the two pastries below, and yogurt (pictured below, upper left corner) served in one of the condiment containers as though it were an afterthought. Missing was an additional fruit plate. The first of several missing room service entrees to come.

0BE3C1E9-80AF-48D5-A42E-F8E543A4EDA2.thumb.jpeg.f5e22c86185285181354dda306e4ca0a.jpeg651BF70A-C844-4CD3-902F-F61D17F390DE.thumb.jpeg.8a8dc71a0708181f298c2a7dceb335d5.jpeg

THE UGLY 😱: Cream cheese on DH’s bagel was hard and flakey! Not sure if these were schmeared the night before or that morning but enough time had passed for it to fossilize 🦖. This should never have been served to a guest.

688AE02A-59A6-46C2-A23C-5960DB7B7874.thumb.jpeg.0eb7575d00af62c78d9692c7fccbdfd4.jpeg

Edited by nimi17
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, nimi17 said:

Yes, it was in Notes. DH says the Premium Bourbon tasting was about $40ish and the Connoisseur Whiskey $60ish (sorry he can never remember how much things cost). 

Thanks for the price info and also the info on the appetizers in your post #239.

Edited by PSR
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nimi17 said:

Room service

The good: Passion fruit yogurt was the perfect size for breakfast. The fruit was fresh and the yogurt rich yet light. 

DB0077F4-AC3B-4544-9666-FC22549A1920.thumb.jpeg.524adcf72a9c4d273c40b8727a045527.jpeg29AA02C9-A9CA-4FED-8C19-2029943DF278.thumb.jpeg.8e21fc112f8b54b12c3c2d7d08b03850.jpeg

The bad: We ordered the continental breakfast and it came with a fruit plate (not shown), the two pastries below, and yogurt (pictured below, upper left corner) served in one of the condiment containers as though it were an afterthought. Missing was an additional fruit plate. The first of several missing room service entrees to come.

0BE3C1E9-80AF-48D5-A42E-F8E543A4EDA2.thumb.jpeg.f5e22c86185285181354dda306e4ca0a.jpeg651BF70A-C844-4CD3-902F-F61D17F390DE.thumb.jpeg.8a8dc71a0708181f298c2a7dceb335d5.jpeg

THE UGLY 😱: Cream cheese on DH’s bagel was hard and flakey! Not sure if these were schmeared the night before or that morning but enough time had passed for it to fossilize 🦖. This should never have been served to a guest.

688AE02A-59A6-46C2-A23C-5960DB7B7874.thumb.jpeg.0eb7575d00af62c78d9692c7fccbdfd4.jpeg

That is bad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nimi17 said:

Room service

Yes, that was schmeared before midnight, I hope you enjoyed your cruise..

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Thanks for posting this.  I've enjoyed reading the posts and comments.  We are booking our first cruise on Holland America and planning to book the same cabin as you for the extra large balcony.  However,I'm hesitating as I see that it's directly over the MDR.  Were there any noise issues?  Also, can someone enlighten me regarding eating anytime in the MDR?  Can you not just show up when you're ready to sit down to dinner and be able to get a table? Thanks, again for the informative post.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, travel4b said:

Thanks for posting this.  I've enjoyed reading the posts and comments.  We are booking our first cruise on Holland America and planning to book the same cabin as you for the extra large balcony.  However,I'm hesitating as I see that it's directly over the MDR.  Were there any noise issues?  Also, can someone enlighten me regarding eating anytime in the MDR?  Can you not just show up when you're ready to sit down to dinner and be able to get a table? Thanks, again for the informative post.

Yes, you can show up whenever the MDR is open, and be seated, subject to table availability.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, travel4b said:

I have never had noise issues staying over the MDR. Under the Lido is a different story. 

Assuming you have open seating you can come and get a table whenever you want. Probably busiest around 6-730, outside of that I have never had to wait. 

Edited by zgscl
  • Thanks 1

On 11/5/2021 at 10:36 PM, CATandSQUID said:

Was the room service menu only on the tv?  Can you still order basically what you want?

Hi, so sorry for the delay. Yes, you can order as many items as you’d like (within reason, I assume), but there are specialty items that have a small surcharge such as steak and lobster from the Pinnacle Grill (available during dinner) for example. Burgers and hot dogs from the Dive In are available 24/7 via room service at $4.95 a pop.

The room service menu is also available via the Navigator app.