Royal Up bidding questions

I've never done this before & have a couple of questions...

1st. it states :

"Your bid is priced per person and based on two guests per stateroom for the entire length of your cruise. Only the first and second guest will be charged."  

I am reading that to be that the 3rd person in my cabin does not get charged for the upgrade, is that correct? Or does that mean if I have 3 people in a cabin, that I am not eligible to bid on an upgrade?

2nd. In your experience, does it take a very high bid to get the upgrade?

Thank you in advance for any help.

20 minutes ago, TYMAN said:

3rd person does not get charged.......on Allure last week, got the CLS for $200 over minimum bid. Thought for sure I was low. 

And that 3rd person sailing on the cheap still managed to commandeer the 2nd commode!  😄 😄 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, RCCLNYMETS41 said:

In your experience, does it take a very high bid to get the upgrade?

If your cruise is in the next few months, then reports are that many are sailing at a greatly reduced capacity.  If so, and if you are bidding on an Ocean View or Balcony category, then you have an excellent opportunity to win with a minimum bid.  When the ship sails, they would likely have to leave some of the Ocean View and Balcony cabins vacant, regardless of how many people use RoyalUp.  So you would think that they have every incentive to upgrade you for a minimum bid.  

Royal FAQ says two days before sailing:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/can-i-modify-or-cancel-my-royalup-offer-after-i-submit-it

But on the webpage where I can modify my bid, it says:  Provided that your bid has not already been accepted, you can change your bid amount up until 3 hours before departure.

Just now, skiiergirl said:

Does anyone “know” or have a clue on how the bids are awarded?
Are they chosen manually by human or is it a  program and the computer is supposed to pick based on dollar amount and or other options?

The program is run by Plusgrade and unlikely anyone here can say with any certainty what criteria is used to award bids, though very likely it is automated. 

55 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

The program is run by Plusgrade and unlikely anyone here can say with any certainty what criteria is used to award bids, though very likely it is automated. 

Thanks. It makes sense it would be a program but so many things these days that I think  would be a program, Royal says they do manually. So was just curious! 

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Now I'm depressed after putting in a max bid on a 2 BR GS. It now will be a crap shoot if I even get it.

7 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Well I'll take an educated guess that the number 1 criteria used to award bids has everything to do with whatever combinations provide the most revenue for RCI and for Plusgrade.  The number 2 criteria, whatever that is, would rank way lower.  

Edited by Lou33
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Lou33 said:

Well I'll take an educated guess that the number 1 criteria used to award bids has everything to do with whatever combinations provide the most revenue for RCI and for Plusgrade. 

Sure, but we don’t know how they achieve that and how any individual bid is treated. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Sure, but we don’t know how they achieve that and how any individual bid is treated. 

They very likely use algorithms to maximize total revenue.  If somebody has an inside cabin, and they bid on an outside, a balcony, and a suite.  It may depend on how others bid in addition to their total bids for each.  It may maximize revenue by moving them to an ocean view, bumping somebody in an ocean view to a balcony, and somebody else from a balcony to a suite.  Whatever combination yields the greatest revenue.  

• Like 1

Just put in for Star Class - min bid. Grand Loft Suite on Odyssey.

After already buying 2 beverages packages, we will get money back if we win! Lol

But I’m very skeptical, as I don’t see any available on the cruise.

• 4 months later...

I'm confused 😞

When it says "your bid is priced per person and based on 2 guests per stateroom for the entire length of your cruise" - is that per day?

So lets say there are 2 of us and the minimum bid is $50 and I'm on a 7 night cruise.   A

Does that mean - if I get it - that I'm paying $100 or $700?

24 minutes ago, MichFish said:

I'm confused 😞

When it says "your bid is priced per person and based on 2 guests per stateroom for the entire length of your cruise" - is that per day?

So lets say there are 2 of us and the minimum bid is $50 and I'm on a 7 night cruise.   A

Just now, LivLove2Cruise said:
25 minutes ago, MichFish said:

I'm confused 😞

Expand  

It would be $100. 

On 10/12/2021 at 6:14 PM, RCCLNYMETS41 said:

thank you for all of the replies. 

We are sailing Symphony Dec 23rd. Currently in Oceanview Large Balcony cabin.

Holiday sailings are extremely popular, so I think you’d be less likely to score a great priced upgrade on that cruise. 

28 minutes ago, MichFish said:

I'm confused 😞

If you bid the $50 minimum, it will be double that, so $100.  That will cover all passengers in the cabin, whether there is just a solo guest, a four adult friends,  or whatever other combo.

I do wish they would give people the chance to bid upgrade their whole cabin, in this case, with a $100 minimum bid.  I think that would be confusing.

If your new cabin requires higher daily gratuities (such as moving up to a full suite) and you opted to prepay the gratuities, you will be billed the extra gratuity amount for all passengers.

• 9 months later...

I had read somewhere that there is a "new" link that you can use if you did not get the email yet.  However, I can't find where I read that info.  

If anyone has the "new" link, please post it.  

(I have the old link but it just "swirls"....won't even give me the "Check info and must be within 30 days" warning.) 

TIA