Any Problems with CVS Rapid COVID Testing

Cruise4Jesus

Just wondering if anyone has had any issues with using the rapid test results from CVS?

The reason I ask is that a co-worker just went on Royal Caribbean and said they had turned someone next to them down because their paperwork from CVS wasn't "acceptable".

I also heard that CVS had issues for Hawaii. I would like to know what was not acceptable to the Cruiseline?  I am doing my test for travel at City Health for international flights at SJC airport where they specialize in travel testing. CVS does not really specialize in travel testing. I am sorry to inform you but there have been many problems with the CVS test not getting back to you in time. They do not guarantee the 1-2  day turnaround time.

At one pharmacy in Oakland last October a homeless person stole the tests and a family did not get the results in time and were in Hawaii and flew home. It was for  some sort of special occasion.   

The rapid antigen or PCR test is what is best especially for vaccinated passengers. I found out a rapid testing center right by the Queen Mary and will do it there on Friday with a  1-2 hour turnaround time.  

Edited by travelplus

Article about CVS  giving the wrong COVID approved test for Hawaii. Now you can fill in the blank CVS providing the wrong paperwork for Cruise. I am sorry but I do not trust CVS.

https://www.abc15.com/news/let-joe-know/traveling-to-hawaii-soon-make-sure-to-get-the-right-covid-19-test

Edited by travelplus

My husband and I have taken two cruises post-Covid and used CVS rapid tests for both.  No problem.  Just make sure you print out the results out of MyChart and have them with you for embarkation.

BTW, the place where we had our tests taken had a big sign posted saying "These tests are NOT valid for travel to Hawaii".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It may have been the paperwork that they took to check in.  When our test results were in, I went to MyCVS chart and printed out the negative test.  However, then I noticed that there was no provider information or other required info on the MyChart one.  If I went to the one in the text link, all the information was there.  Below is the first test with the missing information:

1369503908_MyChartTestResult.thumb.JPG.ae93cc9d780a17f7ecded40fd1644316.JPG

Then the results from the text link for the same test:

288067676_CVSTestResult.JPG.d5f944bc8ca43023ba761fd1a0a93742.JPG

Not saying that is what happened with everyone, but just a reminder to make sure you bring the right print out.

• Like 3

As with everyone else, we used CVS for our pre-cruise Covid rapid test a few weeks ago and everything was fine.  I printed the test results from the link they sent me, easy peasy.  Received a phone call with the results in about 20 minutes and a text with a link for printing shortly after that.

With that being said, I have seen one potential problem with CVS and that is that on occasion they've shut down testing sites and cancelled appointments on short notice.  For our first cruise post-Covid I was being kind of anal about nothing going wrong and booked a backup test at a different CVS location one day after my original appointment (the day we planned to be travelling).  Two days prior to the appointment we got a notification that that testing site had temporarily shut down.  I'm guessing they're having a few problems with test kit availability.  That's why I've decided to go with the e-med home test for our next cruise.

My Husband and I were booked on a Cruise in September and we used CVS Rapid Antigen Test and had No Problems at all. The lady was even nice enough to print out our results for us. We got our results in 15 minutes and had Great Customer Service. We are scheduled to use them again next month. I also had a 2nd print out of our test results (Just In Case) and I had it on our cellphones as well for extra backup. Easy Peazy Breezy!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EllaDuChien said:

It may have been the paperwork that they took to check in.  When our test results were in, I went to MyCVS chart and printed out the negative test.  However, then I noticed that there was no provider information or other required info on the MyChart one.  If I went to the one in the text link, all the information was there.  Below is the first test with the missing information:

1369503908_MyChartTestResult.thumb.JPG.ae93cc9d780a17f7ecded40fd1644316.JPG

Then the results from the text link for the same test:

288067676_CVSTestResult.JPG.d5f944bc8ca43023ba761fd1a0a93742.JPG

Not saying that is what happened with everyone, but just a reminder to make sure you bring the right print out.

I used the 1st one (mychart), no problem.

• Like 1

We also had no issues with our CVS Rapid Antigen test. 

CVS also had a sign in the test out-building stating the test was NOT valid for Hawaii travel. 

OI had printed out every bit of paper link I could find from their testing, and I had the original app response on the phone. 

During embarkation - I also had, in my carry-on, a set of Abbott BINAX Home Tests that I could have brought out and done the test on the embarkation building floor with our Cell Phones - if there were any issues. Gotta have back-ups to cover the contingencies - especially with all new COVID processes and procedures.

• Like 1

Thanks I was getting ready to ask him.  We had planned to leave 2 days before our cruise so we will not have a printer and our flight is at 830 am so doubt we will have a print out unless we can find a place to do it.

I got a phone call with my negative test result 20 minutes after my rapid antigen test at CVS, and then I waited...and waited. 

After 3 hours and no email or texted results I drove back to the CVS and had the Nurse Practitioner send me the results.  One wonders how long it would have taken if I hadn't nudged him in person to send the info....

• Like 1