Sports coverage on the Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas

amberjohn

We've actually been wondering the same.  Our family (self, DH, DD, SIL, and GS) will be sailing on Harmony.  The boys definitely like their NFL and NHL, but since Harmony doesn't have a Playmakers ... trying to figure out other options. 

Even wondering if we could connect a streaming device (Firestick, Roku, or even AppleTV) to the cabin TV?  I've never thought about bringing it before, but not even sure if it's possible or if RCCL has the TVs kind of "locked down".

2 minutes ago, PolytheneGirl said:

Related question - would the ships sailing in the EU show less US led sports? For example soccer and less NFL/NHL?

Just a guess but I noticed that ships that did not sail from the US ports were showing a lot of soccer instead of US professional sports.

1 minute ago, amberjohn said:

Just a guess but I noticed that ships that did not sail from the US ports were showing a lot of soccer instead of US professional sports.

I'm hoping so (no offence to US lovelies on here!) - we've only ever cruised out of US ports in the past but we're British. It never really bothered us and added to the "US Holiday" aspect plus both times we've cruise we've had major world sporting events on (Olympics last time!). Next year will be our first EU cruise if everything goes to plan. We're both sports fans in general but watch a lot of soccer, athletics, tennis, F1, motor racing in general 🙂

Royal did negotiate for more sports coverage for ships with a Playmakers however each sports league has different rules about where content can be viewed. 

When I lived in the Virgin islands MLB wouldn't let the FOX affiliate on Puerto Rico play MLB games because they were "international" despite being the US.  So you can't make assumptions about sports.

Playmakers on Mariner had the same soccer game on almost every tv. )Maybe that was the only thing live broadcasting at the time).

We  had better programming in the cabin.  Several ESPN  channels. We were successful using the  ship WiFi to stream a recent college football game. 

m

1 hour ago, PolytheneGirl said:

I'm hoping so (no offence to US lovelies on here!) - we've only ever cruised out of US ports in the past but we're British. It never really bothered us and added to the "US Holiday" aspect plus both times we've cruise we've had major world sporting events on (Olympics last time!). Next year will be our first EU cruise if everything goes to plan. We're both sports fans in general but watch a lot of soccer, athletics, tennis, F1, motor racing in general 🙂

We're F1 fans and always find it difficult to watch the races live on ships (not just RCL). I seem to remember being able to watch it once or twice on European cruises on the cabin TV but in German or Spanish! They do always seem to have football (soccer).

2 minutes ago, kernow said:

We're F1 fans and always find it difficult to watch the races live on ships (not just RCL). I seem to remember being able to watch it once or twice on European cruises on the cabin TV but in German or Spanish! They do always seem to have football (soccer).

Good to know! We're hoping it won't be an F1 weekend when we are on board but if it is then hopefully if its no shown then we can use a VPN and SkyGo (fingers crossed!)

Good to know about football as well. I know the PL and major leagues will be done when we're away BUT I'm not sure on international comps 🙂

Thanks for the info!