Oceania needs a competitive online way to book airfare

terrydtx

Oceania needs an online way to book airfare for their cruises. We love Oceania and they are our preferred cruise line, but they need to have a competitive online booking process for airfare similar to Celebrity and HAL. We are booked on the Marina next August for a Baltic cruise departing from Copenhagen. We have also booked a Holland American cruise of Greece following the Marina departing RT from Venice. Oceania quoted us $4200 RT PP for business class air on top of the OLife w/air cost. If we book our own air we can get a $1100pp credit on the OLife fare which makes the Business class air on Oceania cost $5300pp plus the $175 air deviation fee they charge or $5475pp cost..

Yesterday we booked our business class air online through Holland American Flight Ease leaving from San Antonio to Copenhagen and returning home from Venice after the HAL cruise. We booked on United for $3050pp RT which was $2425pp less than what Oceania quoted. With HAL online flights we choose the airlines and schedules we wanted and even got to choose our seats. We can also make changes at no cost up to the final payment date.

This is 2021 and in my opinion Oceania needs a competitive online air fare program to keep up with the times specially if they want to appeal to younger tech savvy passengers
Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 6

It's true, biz class and Oceania are incompatible.  But it shouldn't be that way.  Other cruise lines offer very reasonable upgrades to BC, there is no reason why O couldn't do the same. It's a major drawback for us on this line.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

NEVER  book BUS Class air with O

Book your own

I think that is what the OP is saying - it should not default to the Oceania cruiser. Other Lines are capable of providing this service - why not O?

"This is 2021 and in my opinion Oceania needs a competitive online air fare program to keep up with the times specially if they want to appeal to younger tech savvy passengers"

• Like 2

I would think with the demographics of Oceania cruisers a better business class airfare program would be a must and would bring them more business not less.

We looked at Viking Ocean cruises and they have a similar worthless air program and want a $4500pp add on for business class tickets to Europe, that plus the 12 month final payment requirement keeps us from ever considering them again.

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

NEVER  book BUS Class air with O

Book your own

FYI Oceania  air is separate from O Life  perks

ABSOLUTELY! Even O’s air department will tell you to not book bizclass with them.

In the grand scheme of things, O’s “included” air is not complimentary. Rather, it’s an “opt out” convenience. And, as currently organized, it fits O’s “a la carte” model without subjecting all customers (particularly us air-DIYers) to bearing the costs of maintaining what would need to be a more robust air operation (added personnel, online administration/maintenance) if O wanted to provide a more “seemingly” convenient online air booking service.

In fact, I am convinced that the last thing O wants is more folks taking advantage of the “included” air.

1 minute ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

In fact, I am convinced that the last thing O wants is more folks taking advantage of the “included” air.

It seems that way and I believe the "Included Air" is a relic of the old Renaissance cruise line.

2 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I would think with the demographics of Oceania cruisers a better business class airfare program would be a must and would bring them more business not less.....

I would say it’s exactly the opposite. The bulk of O’s regular cruisers are exceptionally well traveled with the means to pay for it and possessing the knowledge/skill necessary to comparison shop and manage airline reservations. 

It seems that way and I believe the "Included Air" is a relic of the old Renaissance cruise line.

If I remember correctly, the Renaissance model, which O used in its first few years did not allow a DIY option (I.e., a price choice w/o air).

3 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I would say it’s exactly the opposite. The bulk of O’s regular cruisers are exceptionally well traveled with the means to pay for it and possessing the knowledge/skill necessary to comparison shop and manage airline reservations. 

I think you missed my point, with a good online air booking program like HAL's you can comparison shop and fully manage your air reservations just as if you booked directly with the airline. In fact once you are booked you can even go to the airline's web site to see and manage your flights too.

Seabourn Cruise lines uses the same HAL online model that allows full booking online for any class of fare.

• Like 2

I think you missed my point, with a good online air booking program like HAL's you can comparison shop and fully manage your air reservations just as if you booked directly with the airline. In fact once you are booked you can even go to the airline's web site to see and manage your flights too.

Seabourn Cruise lines uses the same HAL online model that allows full booking online for any class of fare.

I fully understand your point. But, I think you are underestimating the costs (upfront and ongoing) of having a more robust air service. Not unlike a primary reliance on TAs handling bookings, O basically relies on “outsourcing” it’s air efforts by allowing DIY air and somewhat discouraging using their own air department.

Again, O air is an optional convenience -not a key focus of the “O Life” formula. 

“Don’t fix what ain’t broke.”

1 minute ago, pinotlover said:

I believe the same comments could be made reference booking hotels, shore excursions, and in the past, ship transfers. Oceania is what it is. Can’t be all things to all people. I’m not afraid of DIY.

This.

And I trust that most folks will agree that we want O primarily focused on the what they do best - the actual cruise experience (I.e., port selection and onboard life).

• Like 1

Regent (O’s NCLH sister) has an excellent air department. For a cruise in April, after doing my research, I told them the flights I wanted for a flight to Tokyo. The R agent consulted her computer and confirmed my selection. I thus paid the $175 and got confirmed reservations 9 months before sailing and I picked my seats. This cruise included Business class air as opposed to O’s often included economy. But the logistics are the same.

• Like 2

United just added  a slew of TATL routes they did not fly before. I just booked a J award on AMS-MUC-DEN -MCI, new route MUC-DEN, very easily for a return from Europe cruise next August. Right now there is lots of availability for biz class awards on these new routes. grab them while you can.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

This.

And I trust that most folks will agree that we want O primarily focused on the what they do best - the actual cruise experience (I.e., port selection and onboard life).

I don't understand why you think it's an either/or equation.  You seem to think that improving the air dept would tank everthing else the line does well.  I don't get that.  When you rest on your laurels, you die as a company.  This attitude of "Oh, we're doing enough, so get over it" I just can't wrap my mind around.

• Like 5

Just now, Dwtlion said:

Regent (O’s NCLH sister) has an excellent air department. For a cruise in April, after doing my research, I told them the flights I wanted for a flight to Tokyo. The R agent consulted her computer and confirmed my selection. I thus paid the $175 and got confirmed reservations 9 months before sailing and I picked my seats. This cruise included Business class air as opposed to O’s often included economy. But the logistics are the same.

Actually, it’s the same department. And you paid for Regent’s included bizclass air in a fare which is far more expensive than O’s fare for a similar cruise (and included coach air).

Basically, O and Regent are a similar experience except that Regent’s “extras” (whether you want them or not- though you can take an air credit), while O has a pre-Cruise “a la carte” approach.

FWIW, I often do side-by-side comps of O and R (adding enough O paid options to equate the package). In every case, Regent “bottom lines” at a significantly more expensive cost.

6 minutes ago, Kate-AHF said:

I don't understand why you think it's an either/or equation.  You seem to think that improving the air dept would tank everthing else the line does well.  I don't get that.  When you rest on your laurels, you die as a company.  This attitude of "Oh, we're doing enough, so get over it" I just can't wrap my mind around.

I never said it would “tank” everything else. What I said was “outsourcing” (in this case relying on folks choosing to DIY) allows O to focus improvement/enhancement efforts on the cruise rather than the add-ons. 
O doesn’t rest on its laurels (e.g., all the efforts to build the Allura Class ships).

25 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Actually, it’s the same department. And you paid for Regent’s included bizclass air in a fare which is far more expensive than O’s fare for a similar cruise (and included coach air).

Basically, O and Regent are a similar experience except that Regent’s “extras” (whether you want them or not- though you can take an air credit), while O has a pre-Cruise “a la carte” approach.

FWIW, I often do side-by-side comps of O and R (adding enough O paid options to equate the package). In every case, Regent “bottom lines” at a significantly more expensive cost.

And an "ala carte approach" could be upgrade to biz class.  Fits in perfectly with the business model.  Don't want it?  You don't have to pay for it.  But that option should be there.

• Like 5

Just now, Kate-AHF said:

And an "ala carte approach" could be upgrade to biz class.  Fits in perfectly with the business model.  Don't want it?  You don't have to pay for it.  But that option should be there.

The option for bizclass on O already exists. But, the model used by O purposefully discourages that option by requiring purchase of the economy tix (the w/air fare difference) in order to get the biz class quote without applying the coach air credit to the final air price. 
Not sure what you may not be understanding about O not wanting to get any further into the air business. It’s always been only a convenience offering and the balance of w/air vs DIY has worked well.  Similarly, the pre/post cruise land packages are an expensive add-on convenience that will never expand because, while it makes money at its current size, expanding it would require moving/adding precious resources better spent on O’s primary function- the cruise itself.

Again, we need to look at O’s passenger demographic. The bulk of the customer base is well-traveled and perfectly capable of DIY air/land/etc. Nonetheless, O offers some extra basic conveniences and charges prices/limits operations so as to keep their desired balance of $ in/out in those non-Cruise arenas.

This IS their intentional (and quite successful) business model and it will not change.

Does the "no credit for coach air" also apply if you want premium economy rather than business class? Our three Oceania cruises have mostly involved North American embarkation and disembarkation ports, so the included O Life coach air was fine. But our next Oceania cruise is from Buenos Aires to Lima in early 2023. There's no way we'll fly in coach seats on two long overnight flights, but business class may be prohibitively expensive. If there's no "coach credit" for premium economy, I feel we'd be forced to book the flights ourselves.

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

But, the model used by O purposefully discourages that option by requiring purchase of the economy tix (the w/air fare difference) in order to get the biz class quote without applying the coach air credit to the final air price. 

I think you just nicely summarized the complaint - the need for a changed process.

I asked my TA awhile ago how many people book the pre-cruise hotel - arguably the worst deal in the industry. She said a lot do - a lot don't want to be bothered arranging anything.

CruiseCritic members are more well-informed than, and a very small number of, the total cruisers.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jimdee3636 said:

Does the "no credit for coach air" also apply if you want premium economy rather than business class? Our three Oceania cruises have mostly involved North American embarkation and disembarkation ports, so the included O Life coach air was fine. But our next Oceania cruise is from Buenos Aires to Lima in early 2023. There's no way we'll fly in coach seats on two long overnight flights, but business class may be prohibitively expensive. If there's no "coach credit" for premium economy, I feel we'd be forced to book the flights ourselves.

When there’s an O “premium economy” air offer, it is either a paid upgrade (above the cruise w/air price you already paid in the fare) or it’s complimentary (rare). But, in no case does O give air credit unless you choose without air.

Take the credit and DIY.