Am I interpreting this correctly re: passport expiry and entry into US and other countries?

peacefrogdog

We are travelling on a cruise departing from Port Canaveral this December 27th, that stops in the Bahamas (CocoCay and Nassau).

My kids passports expire Apr 25, 2022.  I know that the US says that as a general rule that passports should expire 6 months or later from the date of entry.  However they list countries from whom they extend passport validity for an additional six months beyond expiry, that includes Canada:

https://fam.state.gov/searchapps/viewer?format=html&query=d&links=D&url=/FAM/09FAM/09FAM040309.html

Am I interpreting correctly that, based on this, we should be ok with our current passports in order to enter both the US and the Bahamas?

You need to consider the passport requirements of each country that you will be travelling to:

Bahamas: 

Your passport must be valid for at least 6 months beyond the date you expect to leave The Bahamas.

United States:

Your passport must be valid for the duration of their stay.

I seems that you will need to renew their passports given the Bahamian requirement.

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

You need to consider the passport requirements of each country that you will be travelling to:

Bahamas: 

Your passport must be valid for at least 6 months beyond the date you expect to leave The Bahamas.

United States:

Your passport must be valid for the duration of their stay.

I seems that you will need to renew their passports given the Bahamian requirement.

The Bahamas has different visa rules for cruise passengers, so I wouldn't be surprised if it also differed in this area as well. After all cruise passengers have a very defined length of stay.

20 minutes ago, broberts said:

The Bahamas has different visa rules for cruise passengers, so I wouldn't be surprised if it also differed in this area as well. After all cruise passengers have a very defined length of stay.

The entry of cruise passengers is definitely handled differently than airline passengers, but I believe that the passport requirement remains the same. The major difference is that your passport details and those of every passenger are provided to the immigration officials of the host country as part of the ship's manifest, whether or not you plan on going ashore. That's why in most cases, particularly within the Caribbean, there is no requirement to take or show your passport when going ashore. But passengers do not always depart with their ship, for a variety of reasons:  sickness and late return from a shore excursion are not uncommon, and one incident a few years ago involved an American passenger of Jamaican ancestry who decided to stay on and visit relatives rather than getting back aboard. In such cases, the passengers have to be treated as "normal" visitors and have the required passport period of validity. 

Celebrity "strongly recommends that all guests travel with a passport that is valid for at least six (6) months beyond the end of their cruise." RCI goes one step further and makes it a requirement: "For US Sailings: Canadians will require their passport with a minimum of 6 months validity post the return of your sailing." HAL says the following: "Each country has its own entry requirements, and guests assume personal responsibility for having the necessary documents when boarding. Holland America Line highly recommends that all guests carry a passport that is valid for at least six months beyond the completion date of your travel."

So, while you might be right, I wouldn't take a chance on it. I've seen passengers rejected at check in over this issue and it isn't a pretty sight.

13 hours ago, john2003 said:

Problem with checking with the High Commission is they won't be making the decision. A HAL employee will!

They don't need to make a decision, they simply need to inform you of the requirements. I've done it a number of times with different countries and have had great cooperation.

As for HAL, there website states:

Each country has its own entry requirements, and guests assume personal responsibility for having the necessary documents when boarding.

• Like 1