Why No Segments on 2023 World Cruise (but 7 Segments on the 2024 W.C.)?

jimdee3636

As you may know, both the (now-cancelled) 2022 World Cruise and the 2023 World Cruise were originally going to be on the Zaandam, but HAL decided to switch the 2023 W.C. to the Zuiderdam, and at the same time announced that the 2024 W.C. would also be on the Zuiderdam. The 2024 itinerary is mostly the same as the cancelled 2022 itinerary, but the 2023 itinerary is a much different one, although both are about the same number of days. 

What puzzles me is that a total of seven different segments are currently being offered on the 2024 W.C., but no segments have ever been offered for the 2023. The Zuiderdam accommodates about 500 more passengers than the Zaandam, so it seems unlikely that the entire ship would be filled in 2023 (or 2024, for that matter) by people doing the entire 128 days (or whatever it is). Beyond that, I've seen on the 2023 W.C. roll call that quite a few people have cancelled their reservations because there's often no "apples to apples" equivalent between the cabin they originally booked on the Zaandam and the one HAL has assigned them to on the Zuiderdam. In fact, some people are evidently being given GTY cabins, which is not going over well.

My interest in this is that I'd love to book what would probably be the final segment (were it offered) on the 2023 W.C.---AMS to FLL by way of Copenhagen, Norway, Scotland, Ireland, and Ponta Delgada, 23 days in all. But I don't want to wait forever; there are other cruises around the same time on other cruise lines that are nearly as attractive and which are filling up quickly.

Any insights, information, or advice would be appreciated. 

Thanks! 

Jim

For those who know more about world cruises than I do, I was thinking of booking one segment of the 2024 WC just to see how I like longer cruises (and because it covers an area I'd like to do anyway). 

I didn't realize you could already book segments of the 2024 WC -- Is there an advantage to booking it sooner rather than later? Do prices tend to go up and/or popular categories disappear?

44 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

For those who know more about world cruises than I do, I was thinking of booking one segment of the 2024 WC just to see how I like longer cruises (and because it covers an area I'd like to do anyway). 

I didn't realize you could already book segments of the 2024 WC -- Is there an advantage to booking it sooner rather than later? Do prices tend to go up and/or popular categories disappear?

I would say book it if you really want to go.  We are in uncharted territory with a much larger ship.  I think HAL realizes this which maybe why they opened the 2924 segments so early.  It does require a larger deposit then a typical cruise, the full cruise requires $7,000, not sure about a segment.

20 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

As we progress into mid 2022 HAL may very well open segments for sale on the 2023 WC.

I would not be surprised if that happens.  People book; stuff happens; plans need to change; cancellations occur.

6 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I was thinking of booking one segment of the 2024 WC just to see how I like longer cruises (and because it covers an area I'd like to do anyway). 

I recommend that.  I booked the final segment of the 2007 world cruise before making a final decision on the entire 2008 world cruise.  Glad that I did both, but there were differences in both experiences.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KirkNC said:

I would say book it if you really want to go.  We are in uncharted territory with a much larger ship.  I think HAL realizes this which maybe why they opened the 2924 segments so early.  It does require a larger deposit then a typical cruise, the full cruise requires $7,000, not sure about a segment.

Our deposit for 36 day segment is $1500.

We had a futuredam placeholder on the 23 and 24 WC for over a year(more for 23)

With the 23 close to sold out I cancelled our futuredam and focused on 24. I was very surprised to have our segment request come thru this far out.

Obviously segments are guarantees at this point. 

10 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

The general rule for cruising is always book immediately when you think you might want to go (assuming a refundable deposit). If prices go down you can get them to match or cancel and rebook & if prices go up you are protected. Additionally this will give you the best selection of cabin availability also. 

One thing to keep in mind - if you want to buy third party trip insurance you generally must purchase within 14 days of making your initial deposit if you want it to cover pre-existing medical conditions. You can purchase for only the deposit price and then add value to the policy as you make payments. For a world cruise I absolutely would not sail without insurance!

• Like 1