Caribbean excursions

firsttimer086

Looking through the excursions they mostly seem to start at 8.30, maybe 9.30 at the latest.

If it's only a 3hr trip for example (a lot seem to be this short for 40 odd quid!) then you'll be back on board before lunch, but seeing as some ports will only allow you to leave the ship on an excursion, why can't I find any that start at midday or the afternoon?

Also, do people really want to go sit on the beach at 9am, seems a bit early? When you factor in potentially having to queue for an antigen test in the morning before breakfast the timing feels a bit tight.

I've never cruised before so maybe this is normal, but outside of COVID you would be able to go explore the local town at your leisure, for free of course.

Edited by firsttimer086

1 hour ago, firsttimer086 said:

Looking through the excursions they mostly seem to start at 8.30, maybe 9.30 at the latest.

If it's only a 3hr trip for example (a lot seem to be this short for 40 odd quid!) then you'll be back on board before lunch, but seeing as some ports will only allow you to leave the ship on an excursion, why can't I find any that start at midday or the afternoon?

Also, do people really want to go sit on the beach at 9am, seems a bit early? When you factor in potentially having to queue for an antigen test in the morning before breakfast the timing feels a bit tight.

I've never cruised before so maybe this is normal, but outside of COVID you would be able to go explore the local town at your leisure, for free of course.

At the moment I don't think the cruise lines know what to do for the best due to the constantly changing rules. With winter coming who knows how things will pan out. We cancelled our Jan Caribbean cruise because of the uncertainty, P&O were assuring people that affordable tours would be added later, however we saw no evidence of this before our balance was due. I wish you the best of luck with your cruise.

Regarding going ashore, I am also concerned that any port excursions booked  on board requiring coach travel, some of which are required by the cruise line to disembark, inevitably have the risk that if someone on it later tested +ve , then P&O might well go rounding up all the others who had booked on same tour bus - as of course they would know everyone who had been on board so deemed as close contact.  So you could well end up being offloaded through no fault of your own even if negative at the next port or isolated for a time onboard.

4 minutes ago, watsonbeau said:

Regarding going ashore, I am also concerned that any port excursions booked  on board requiring coach travel, some of which are required by the cruise line to disembark, inevitably have the risk that if someone on it later tested +ve , then P&O might well go rounding up all the others who had booked on same tour bus - as of course they would know everyone who had been on board so deemed as close contact.  So you could well end up being offloaded through no fault of your own even if negative at the next port or isolated for a time onboard.

Imagine the cost of insuring yourself against any of the 49 companions on each of your Caribbean shore excursions catching Covid and forcing you to disembark? 

Thats a hell of a lot of potential  quarantine and flight costs from just one Covid case 

13 minutes ago, watsonbeau said:

Given that it can take up to 3 days for someone to test positive,  anyone sharing a coach, taxi, dining table, etc with the infected person over that period could theoretically be disembarked. However,  that could involve hundreds of people,  so, in practical terms,  very unlikely. 

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

At the moment I don't think the cruise lines know what to do for the best due to the constantly changing rules. With winter coming who knows how things will pan out. We cancelled our Jan Caribbean cruise because of the uncertainty, P&O were assuring people that affordable tours would be added later, however we saw no evidence of this before our balance was due. I wish you the best of luck with your cruise.

I think I'd have done the same if we were in your position. Unfortunately for us we had already paid the balance in full before it got cancelled & rebooked so our options were more limited (and it's supposed to be our honeymoon so we still wanted to go!)

It's clear they still don't know full details of the winter season, the A-Z guide has TBA listed against several destinations regarding the testing & excursion policy, and after watching Ollie's video we should apparently be able to book speciality restaurants by now but still can't?

I just find some of the excursions availability strange, there's one that is just an hours duration, however it's only offered once at 8.30am and seems like it could easily be run at multiple times throughout the day to give more options.

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

Affordable tours that’s a matter of opinion, to me they was expensive but we booked them now some of the islands are beginning to lift restrictions and you can book independently, but we chose not to go down that route.

The early start is still the strange thing especially the beach tours going at 8.30am and back before 12.0.  If we have to go on the ship tours that’s fair enough but there’s not that much choice and I’ve had a couple cancelled already. Could be the islands cancelling them 🤔 but I’ll use the local ones where I can and just play it by ear. Just keeping my fingers crossed that we go 😊

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jipsy said:

Just noticed that you no longer have to do a ship excursion in Antigua. Last time there we just wandered to the bus station & got a bus to the beach.

We are on Ventura on 3rd Jan.

Hi, where did you see this? We are onboard this Thursday and the A-Z destinations hadn’t been updated. That would be so much better if we could go ashore  independently, we got married in Antigua 

20 minutes ago, tattydog said:

Hi, where did you see this? We are onboard this Thursday and the A-Z destinations hadn’t been updated. That would be so much better if we could go ashore  independently, we got married in Antigua 

Click on Click here. Updated 26 October 

https://www.pocruises.com/travel-health-advisories?otprrf=direct

• Thanks 1

Off topic but this reminds me of an American cruiser who just wandering past us one morning and asked his family in an unintentional loud voice. "Would someone remind me why I am standing in a theatre at 6.45am with a load of other people and worn out and this is my on holiday"

Had to laugh as he said exactly what everyone else was  thinking ....

9 hours ago, Gettingwarmer said:

Click on Click here. Updated 26 October 

https://www.pocruises.com/travel-health-advisories?otprrf=direct

Thanks for the link  - am I right in thinking that if we have booked an excursion and the country requires a test then that’s extra to pay on top of the excursion price  and not included 😳

12 hours ago, beryl patricia said:

Thanks for the link  - am I right in thinking that if we have booked an excursion and the country requires a test then that’s extra to pay on top of the excursion price  and not included 😳

Other infornmation

COVID-19 vaccine and testing requirements

For holidays to the Caribbean from 22 October 2021 - 27 March 2022

Given the long-haul destinations and the number of different countries visited, combined with the current health protocols and entry requirements in the Caribbean, all guests (irrespective of age) must have completed their vaccination course at least 14 days prior to travel. This can either be two doses of the currently approved COVID-19 vaccines or the approved single-dose Janssen COVID-19 vaccine (approved by the MHRA). A single dose of any other vaccine will not be accepted. All guests of all ages must meet the requirements of the COVID-19 vaccination policy. 

All guests on a Caribbean fly-cruise will also need to organise and pay for a private PCR test within 72 hours before arriving in Barbados. The test must be administered at an accredited or recognised laboratory by a healthcare professional. You’ll present your negative PCR result at the airport as well as complete a complimentary antigen test organised by P&O Cruises. 

For guests setting sail in Southampton, you will complete a complimentary antigen test at the terminal and must pay for a PCR test on board at a cost of £25 within 72 hours of arriving in the Caribbean.

and

We also organise testing that may be required to go ashore in various destinations on your itinerary. These tests will be available to purchase on board at a cost of £18 per antigen test per person and £25 per PCR test per person. Currently, the majority of ports we visit this year do not require entry testing. For the latest information on the requirements of the ports we visit, click here. All requirements are subject to change. During your holiday, destinations on your itinerary may have various documentation requirements. You are responsible for meeting the entry requirements of each destination you plan to visit, regardless of whether you have booked a P&O Cruises shore experience or are exploring independently; however, we will be happy to guide you through all testing and documentation needs on board. P&O Cruises cannot accept responsibility if you are denied entry to a country because you do not meet its entry requirements.