Carnival Valor Live*/Solo/B2B 11/6-11/11/21 & 11/11-11/15/2021

JRL81

7 minutes ago, txgal08 said:

So I bought both supplements and plan to test run them before my cruise. Googling Flyby says to take 3 before drinking and 3 before bed. Have you tried different doses?

I use the FlyBy FUEL in the mornings (3 as directed) with a full glass of water... The original FlyBy with the 3 and 3 dose works great! I just branched out to try something different... they both work well in my regiment. But I do follow the doses as directed for each. I hope this helps

On 10/22/2021 at 2:27 PM, JRL81 said:

HOTEL

I began to look at hotels in or near the French quarter, I stay in New Orleans on average 10-15 nights a year at a minimum, so I have stayed at a lot of different hotels, some I have stayed at multiple times. I looked at hotels on Bourbon, Canal, and even a few that were in the Business District and Garden District but nothing really stood out for what I had planned on this trip or that were not insanely overprized even if I booked with points or hot rates. Recently, I have found a hostel in walking distance of all my favorite places that I have stayed at a few times and having stayed at its sister establishments in other cities I find it suits me down to the ground when I am in a pinch or just want to get away and relax.

Now, I say that I began looking because it is HARD to get in at this hostel, it is ALWAYS full!! But, it is one of the best in New Orleans and as someone who travels globally on occasion, it is by far one of the best I have ever stayed in. The first few times I stayed in Hostels while overseas I fell in love, anyone who has traveled abroad solo will understand the pull of the comradery, the welcoming, homely feeling of a GOOD hostel. Yes, you will be sharing a room with others, and a bathroom, and living space, BUT what is an adventure or travel experience without getting out of your comfort zone, meeting fellow travelers and trying new things? One of the best parts of traveling solo is getting to meet and mingle with people from all walks of life and learning something new be it culturally, a few new phrases in a new language, or making new friends in general.

With all this in mind I was able to secure a reservation at the City House New Orleans off of Burgundy St. rooms here run on average $30.00-75.00 a night depending on what you are looking for during my desired travel dates. I took a bunk in a 4 person mixed dorm for roughly $31.00 a night plus tax and fees for the 2 nights before embarkation. This is a place that will provide me with a clean room, a place to lay my head, a place to shower, and they even do events nightly. They have small group events like barhops, cemetery/ghost tours, single mixers, etc. depending on the day of the week. It has a bar in the downstairs lobby/common area and provides continental breakfast as well. It is exactly what I need and fits my plans for this trip to a T. It is roughly 2 blocks from Bourbon St. and right in the thick of the jazz scene and local creole/cultural renascence and redevelopment that is happening in New Orleans. 

image.png.5c1fc2780510bcaffb42bf57fdffeacb.png

~Jay~

Cruising out of NOLA end of November. Looking for rooms and yes they ate so overpriced.  It's crazy 🤪.  1st time there so I'd love to be in the thick of it, but the price has got me thinking I can stay a little further away. Just hubby and I and we're not huge party goers so I think it will be fine. I'm going to keep reading, enjoy your trip

• Like 2

On 10/22/2021 at 3:10 PM, JRL81 said:

Airport/Hotel and Hotel/Port and Port/Airport Transportation

Usually if I am in New Orleans for an extended period of time I rent a car with Budget, (very reasonable and always meets my needs) but if not there are other options. If you drive in there are many places to park for your cruise including park/cruise hotels and parking garages that will suit any budget. They can be found on the New Orleans page of the Port section on this site. Also, check the reviews and/or blog of @Saint Gregfor tons of info regarding parking, hotels, etc. for New Orleans. He also has a Youtube channel that has awesome info. (Greg like the plug there?! Lol). Now, for me due to medical reasons, me and driving at night do not get along anymore and I love to drive and see things as I travel and was part of my trips for years. Now that it’s not a viable option or until I find someone to share the trips with or the travel at least I am back to flying everywhere that I use to drive to. So this is what I have come up with and I hope it helps others as it has helped me.

image.png.48a800fecf26fde27f577e822f12138d.png

If my flight lands earlier in the day, I would have simply caught the bus and rode it down in to the quarter as it stops about a block from my hotel. So I guess I will be looking at which will be more cost efficient Lyft/Uber or a taxi once I arrive. Now, in New Orleans the taxis have a set fee to go down into the quarter so sometimes they are actually cheaper than a ride share so check your options before committing to one or the other. Now with Southwest doing their “thing”. There is a possibility that I WILL be landing early in the day or maybe even later! If I land within the parameters allotted I will catch the direct bus from the airport down to Canal. The price of this ride makes it a no brainer, as I travel with a backpack and one carryon/checked bag (depends on mood), this bus ride is fairly quick and painless. As my flight did change from the American flight as of now I will be coming in before the bus runs its last direct shot to the French Quarter so I will definitely be taking advantage of this!

~Jay~

I love the plug. I found @Saint Greg yesterday and read everything.  Great info. His videos are next on my list. Love your scattered thoughts, makes me feel normal. Squirrel 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, stephanieelena said:

Cruising out of NOLA end of November. Looking for rooms and yes they ate so overpriced.  It's crazy 🤪.  1st time there so I'd love to be in the thick of it, but the price has got me thinking I can stay a little further away. Just hubby and I and we're not huge party goers so I think it will be fine. I'm going to keep reading, enjoy your trip

If you are wanting to stay just a little further away from port… I would recommend the country inn and suites in Metairie.. quiet area not far from airport, 10-12 minutes to cruise terminal, and only a block or two from acme oyster house.. great food though you may want to go early they get crowded!! You can walk here from the hotel. Happy sailing!!!

~Jay~

• Like 1

2 hours ago, txgal08 said:

So I bought both supplements and plan to test run them before my cruise. Googling Flyby says to take 3 before drinking and 3 before bed. Have you tried different doses?

Thanks. Apparently I bought the Flyby fuel. Didn’t know there were different versions. 

59 minutes ago, txgal08 said:

Thanks. Apparently I bought the Flyby fuel. Didn’t know there were different versions. 

Fuel is the electrolyte replacement and works wonders in the morning!!! Still a good purchase it is what I use and what is in the picture in the post! 

• Like 1

Coffee consumed I some what feel like a human and not a zombie this morning… almost… have laundry started and ready for the day!!! 

today will be the “test packing day” I’m going to get it all together and laid out decide what’s going where and load it up and weigh it make sure we are with in the limits.. spoiler alert I’m always with in the limits now lol!!! 

Over the next day or so I will look it over and take out a thing or two and reduce what’s the there… I always err on the side of caution but prefer going as a minimalistic as possible. But, we shall see what we shall and find out together!!! Happy Saturday my friends!!!

~Jay~

• Like 2

Pulled out the packing lists from my drawer.. it’s a good thing they are laminated as one was stuck in the back 🙄🙄🙄

CA3AAAD5-3593-4A54-A075-594DC491316A.thumb.jpeg.1b4f75f6bf391a25fc08bc1bf1c4ac81.jpeg
used to I would write all over these and have to make new ones… after laminating one set I just use a dry erase maker and bobs your uncle.. no mess..

Edited by JRL81
  • Like 2

Last load of laundry is done and put away. Now I can begin the process of pick and choose. A few weeks ago I started going through my clothes to see what still fit, what needed replaced, and what was a definite leave behind. After many tears and drowning my sorrows in a bottle of wine that night I had a good idea of what still fit and what didn’t.

The only thing that was hiding from me were a couple of my T-shirts and this caused a bit of mild alarm as I knew I had not tossed them, they were fairly new purchases and I knew THEY fit. They were part of my shopping spree after my Rona Rotund (it replaces the freshman fifteen ya know) I checked EVERYWHERE… Or so I thought…

When we got home from our “family trip” I washed all the laundry for me and the kiddos. They all have their own drawers and cubbies in my closet for clothes that stay here for when they are here. I don’t want the argument that something was left, lost, or damaged. 

Well after I washed the kids were suppose to sort, fold and put up… simple.. My son is a turd.. that sawn off little munchkin decided he like some of my shirts apparently and stuffed them in his cubbie.. 🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️ 

Mind you he is no bigger than a popcorn fart!! And I am, as I said, rather large.. it defies logic!!!!! But!!! I found my shirts!!!!!

SHEEEEEEEESH!!!

~Jay~

Edited by JRL81
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

I am a clean freak.. it’s not that I don’t trust that the wonderful staff of most institutions do a phenomenal job of keeping the place clean.. but it’s my peace of mind that I cater to.. even before the Rona I would wipe down hotel rooms, cruise cabins, and airplane seats now I am probably even more thorough.

I will not rehash some of the things I have come across because I enjoy traveling and if I thought about them I may never stay anywhere but my own bed again!!!  But I do travel prepared! I have enough handy wipes to supply the entire flight with as well as bleach wipes to wipe their seats with!!!
E1319ADB-AFCC-46F7-94B4-AF51CF2DCE83.thumb.jpeg.9b57d466614526b3e0ee38c51e7f495b.jpeg

I got tickled the first time I came across a @sid_9169 review when I saw his collection of wipes and then I really chuckled when I saw his trash bags for his luggage in the airport!! I NEVER leave home with out several bags for the same purpose. I have been in some shady airport lavatories through  the years and I do not want to have to discard a piece of luggage due to rolling it through questionable areas!! 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Prnsessmoi said:

😆 I thought the second line on your handwritten list included 

Meds, q-tips, wipes and "Lures".

I thought maybe you were gonna try some fishing from deck.

That’s what it looks like to me too. What DOES it say?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JRL81 said:

I am a clean freak.. it’s not that I don’t trust that the wonderful staff of most institutions do a phenomenal job of keeping the place clean.. but it’s my peace of mind that I cater to.. even before the Rona I would wipe down hotel rooms, cruise cabins, and airplane seats now I am probably even more thorough.

I will not rehash some of the things I have come across because I enjoy traveling and if I thought about them I may never stay anywhere but my own bed again!!!  But I do travel prepared! I have enough handy wipes to supply the entire flight with as well as bleach wipes to wipe their seats with!!!
E1319ADB-AFCC-46F7-94B4-AF51CF2DCE83.thumb.jpeg.9b57d466614526b3e0ee38c51e7f495b.jpeg

I got tickled the first time I came across a @sid_9169 review when I saw his collection of wipes and then I really chuckled when I saw his trash bags for his luggage in the airport!! I NEVER leave home with out several bags for the same purpose. I have been in some shady airport lavatories through  the years and I do not want to have to discard a piece of luggage due to rolling it through questionable areas!! 

Yasss!!! I always do this. Now it's finally not a crazy thing 😜 🤪 

• Like 1

Ok so I’m starting the test packing.. BTW I will be checking two bags this trip as it is a 13 day trip now and why do a carryon to lug around when Southwest gives me two free lol!!C680E673-7A69-4939-B203-ACA752F357BC.thumb.jpeg.ae63c9335651b653ba7989cd3bce7ee1.jpeg

Edited by JRL81
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, stephanieelena said:

@Saint Greg and others 

Looking for some fantastic alligator 😋🐊 which restaurants do you recommend for 🐊

Some of the best I have had is actually out of the city a little bit… head for belle chase and go to Salvo’s their seafood in general is good but fried gator is in the menu and not over done or tuff like in some places.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JRL81 said:

Well after I washed the kids were suppose to sort, fold and put up… simple.. My son is a turd.. that sawn off little munchkin decided he like some of my shirts apparently and stuffed them in his cubbie..

🤣🤣🤣. My daughters are 5 years apart, but the younger one still just “borrows” things or really doesn’t pay attention when everyone is home and laundry gets done if she ends up with things that aren’t hers. She had an undergarment if her older sisters for MONTHS that she insisted she didn’t have…until she actually looked for it. This kid is a sophomore at UCF and older one is grad school in Seattle. The younger kid actually packed it up into her things moving to school this past fall and just didn’t pay any attention🙄🙄. One of them still has a dress I got to wear ONCE before it was “borrowed” 5-6 years ago.  I so feel your pain here. It gets worse…

I have packing lists saved in a file on my computer. They get tweaked and renamed for various trips and mode of transportation. Ie road trips have slightly different items vs flying, along with destination (national park, cruise, lake, theme park etc). Used to have one for each kid but they are old enough to fend for themselves. Although I do double check the teen boy packed more than 2 pairs of underwear and a toothbrush 🤦‍♀️

getting super close now!  I do prefer my packing cubes to other styles of packing. I’ve got regular cubes and the compression ones.  I like being able to “unpack” by just unzipping a cube.

1 hour ago, monykalyn said:

🤣🤣🤣. My daughters are 5 years apart, but the younger one still just “borrows” things or really doesn’t pay attention when everyone is home and laundry gets done if she ends up with things that aren’t hers. She had an undergarment if her older sisters for MONTHS that she insisted she didn’t have…until she actually looked for it. This kid is a sophomore at UCF and older one is grad school in Seattle. The younger kid actually packed it up into her things moving to school this past fall and just didn’t pay any attention🙄🙄. One of them still has a dress I got to wear ONCE before it was “borrowed” 5-6 years ago.  I so feel your pain here. It gets worse…

I have packing lists saved in a file on my computer. They get tweaked and renamed for various trips and mode of transportation. Ie road trips have slightly different items vs flying, along with destination (national park, cruise, lake, theme park etc). Used to have one for each kid but they are old enough to fend for themselves. Although I do double check the teen boy packed more than 2 pairs of underwear and a toothbrush 🤦‍♀️

getting super close now!  I do prefer my packing cubes to other styles of packing. I’ve got regular cubes and the compression ones.  I like being able to “unpack” by just unzipping a cube.

The pain is real!!! I know what you mean!!! Lol!!! I also have different lists for different trips that are around the house somewhere… 

after the trial run of packing today and seeing it took both pieces of luggage for the 13 days I’m going to be gone, I’m debating on strictly using cubes tomorrow after I deduct a few items and see if I can get down to one bag again… then again I may just roll with it!!

~Jay~

• Like 2