Gifts for the crew

Susan in Maine

Can everyone just chill? I asked because I sincerely wanted the information. I do NOT want to appear condescending or privileged, but do want to be helpful.

If they can't get off the ship to get things they specifically want, cash doesn't help. You can't use money to brush your teeth or as tampons (for example).

I will ask when I get on the ship. I won't have much of a chance to buy anything as two of our ports are Bimini and Half Moon Cay.

And yes, I do know that phone cards are so 2000's. I was just using that as an example.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Susan in Maine said:

Can everyone just chill? I asked because I sincerely wanted the information. I do NOT want to appear condescending or privileged, but do want to be helpful.

If they can't get off the ship to get things they specifically want, cash doesn't help. You can't use money to brush your teeth or as tampons (for example).

I will ask when I get on the ship. I won't have much of a chance to buy anything as two of our ports are Bimini and Half Moon Cay.

And yes, I do know that phone cards are so 2000's. I was just using that as an example.

You are missing the point.  Not only can they or another crew member get off, crew know best where they can get the products they use at the best price.  When guests quiz crew on "what they need", crew tell guests want they want to hear so guests feel better about themselves.  To do otherwise, crew run the risk of offending guests and losing grats.  It is both privileged  and condescending to ask ship crew members about toiletries or snacks unless you do ask every hotel or wait staff the same.  It is also mortifying to be the recipient of unsolicited, personal hygiene products from strangers especially from a modesty based culture.   

If you want to be the best guest, give just cash.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Susan in Maine said:

Some crew have never been able to get off in port, even before Covid, especially the deck and engine crew, as they work 0600-1800, just the times the ship is in port.  However, there is always a "marketplace" in the crew quarters, where items are bought from other crew who can/did get ashore, and stocked up for the marketplace.  Other things like doing someone's laundry, haircuts, etc, are exchanged here.  And, if Carnival is not stepping up to the plate and restocking the crew store in a timely fashion, shame on them.

Unless a crew member asks for a specific item and brand, don't feel the need to go out and just pick up things you think they will want.  Would you appreciate a different toothpaste or deodorant to the one you've used for years?  And, as for food, even cans of Pringles are not really allowed, unless the crew intends to eat the whole thing at one sitting.  Opened food containers are prohibited in crew cabins.

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Some crew have never been able to get off in port, even before Covid, especially the deck and engine crew, as they work 0600-1800, just the times the ship is in port.  However, there is always a "marketplace" in the crew quarters, where items are bought from other crew who can/did get ashore, and stocked up for the marketplace.  Other things like doing someone's laundry, haircuts, etc, are exchanged here. 

If you even cannot get of the ship during a 6 month contract, are you expected to partake in this market place to get a haircut? 

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

And, if Carnival is not stepping up to the plate and restocking the crew store in a timely fashion, shame on them.

Definitely. Also because I guess those items would be tax free, or is that a wrong assumption?

Can crew (or pax on a world cruise for that matter) order from Amazon and have their new phone delivered to a port agent?

4 hours ago, Susan in Maine said:

And yes, I do know that phone cards are so 2000's. 

The 80s and '90s was the time when crew phone card gifts were very popular. Thanks for the memory. We read here that the crew have to pay for their own Wi-Fi. Now we give cash so they can hear the voices of their loved ones at home. 

Interesting timing of this thread (for me) - last week in Port Canaveral we saw many crew members leaving a crew store with bags filled to the brim, and we noticed that many of the bags had cans of Pringles sticking out of the top. Ditto a crew store in Amber Cove, where they can also have currency exchanged. We were wondering why so many crew members were buying Pringles. In any case, we didn't have an opportunity to buy crew members any specific items on our itenerary, but we gave our room steward and our dining room service team cash with the hopes that if they couldn't leave the ship someone else would be able to make purchases at the crew stores for them. 

I specifically asked my server and she needed basic essentials toothpaste, mouthwash etc… she has not been able to get off the ship yet but she is hoping soon. As for the Amazon deliveries they are running 2-3 months behind. So if you are able to bring some extra essentials I’m sure the crew would be appreciative. 

33 minutes ago, Buffalobills said:

I specifically asked my server and she needed basic essentials toothpaste, mouthwash etc… she has not been able to get off the ship yet but she is hoping soon. As for the Amazon deliveries they are running 2-3 months behind. So if you are able to bring some extra essentials I’m sure the crew would be appreciative. 

Like $5 and $10 essentials.    Amazon is delivering household items daily.  She was hoping you would up the tips not buy her Crest.  Again, crew will answer these nosy questions because you were  expecting this answer and service industry pros learn to tell guests what they want to hear. 

Edited by Elaine5715
  • Like 2

LOL....I can't believe people think some of these folks are trapped on the ship with nothing but an empty tube of tooth paste and a sliver of bar soap.  These places are their own small city.  They have supplies on board and even if they cannot get off in port others do and will pick up what they need.  The crew takes care of themselves.

• Like 2

I was on the Breeze recently. Crew member told me they are able to get off the ship so they should be able to buy what they need. 

I took a good sized bag of quality Halloween candy and gave it to my steward near the beginning of the cruise. I figured if he doesn't like candy, he could share it with other crew. However, I also left what I thought was a generous cash tip at the end of the cruise in addition to the standard gratuities. (I'm not sure what people consider to be a good tip.) I would never let candy or toiletries substitute for cash.

Cash is always appreciated and would never go to waste, as an unneeded toiletry might.

• Like 1

so I most definitely plan on tipping and typically leave extra cash, and will continue to do this. But with holidays coming up, I was thinking perhaps some extra treats would be nice....I am sure many crew send most of their earnings back home to their families ( just as a mom, I often spent any cash gifts I received on my family versus me). So I have been also wondering if there are perhaps fun, or non essentials that may be enjoyed.

53 minutes ago, rtrtx2 said:

But with holidays coming up, I was thinking perhaps some extra treats would be nice...

I would say no to even that.  They're not kids.  They're not your relatives or friends.  They're not "the help" in need of kindness.  They're adult workers who know what they signed up for.  And they have ways to get candy and other goodies most passengers have no idea exist.

Stick to cash, and leave it at that.  Although a sincere "Merry Christmas" and/or "Happy New Year" is totally fine, since they're celebrated universally in many countries.  ("Happy Thanksgiving", on the other hand, will get you blank stares from most non-Americans.)  If you absolutely MUST give something other than cash, give a greeting card; that's it.  It's a perfect balance between personalized and professionally distant.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01
  • Like 4

On 10/25/2021 at 10:48 PM, ray98 said:

LOL....I can't believe people think some of these folks are trapped on the ship with nothing but an empty tube of tooth paste and a sliver of bar soap.  These places are their own small city.  They have supplies on board and even if they cannot get off in port others do and will pick up what they need.  The crew takes care of themselves.

Agreed. People in one group are gathering up droves of all kinds of stuff. What the heck are they supposed to do with it? And what do you expect them to say when you ask? Of course anyone with good manners wouldn't be rude and reject it. It's Halloween all year long with the copious amounts of candy they get too.

Folks can do whatever they want. We will continue to give them cash. That I know with 100% certainty they can use. Cash in a thank-you card handed to them. Not decorating the bed or like I saw with one poster who hung a punch of dollar bills from the ceiling! SMH🙄

• Like 1

I keep my cabin very clean....No papers about and I make my bed ....A Princess cruise a few years ago my steward left me a note to say thank you for keeping your room so neat....and he left a crystal Disney princess that I know someone gave to him as a gift ....  I was rather impressed with his regifting lol...so please dont bring them little gifts that they dont want nor need and will toss out or give to the next passenger

• Like 2

10 hours ago, cruizinisthebest said:

Agreed. People in one group are gathering up droves of all kinds of stuff. What the heck are they supposed to do with it? And what do you expect them to say when you ask? Of course anyone with good manners wouldn't be rude and reject it. It's Halloween all year long with the copious amounts of candy they get too.

Folks can do whatever they want. We will continue to give them cash. That I know with 100% certainty they can use. Cash in a thank-you card handed to them. Not decorating the bed or like I saw with one poster who hung a punch of dollar bills from the ceiling! SMH🙄

The crew members who get tasked with sorting and disposing of the trash are not front facing crew, never have contact with guests, do not get tipped but get all the work.  The disposal costs get passed back to us in forms of higher fares.   

I cruised 9/7 aboard the Miracle.  It was fantastic.  Two days in, while navigating the halls, I came across my steward quite far away from my cabin. I asked how many cabins he serviced. I don't want to get anyone in trouble, so I won't say how many, but the number was VERY high. 

I told him to skip my cabin that day (I'm nitpicky tidy), just give me some fresh towels, and his eyes lit up like saucers! He thanked me profusely and said over and over again "You sure? You need anything you call me".  I gave him the last night off as well.  Make no mistake, I gave him cash when we said our goodbye's,  but I think some time off is a wonderful "Tip".  

10 minutes ago, solocruzin said:

I cruised 9/7 aboard the Miracle.  It was fantastic.  Two days in, while navigating the halls, I came across my steward quite far away from my cabin. I asked how many cabins he serviced. I don't want to get anyone in trouble, so I won't say how many, but the number was VERY high. 

I told him to skip my cabin that day (I'm nitpicky tidy), just give me some fresh towels, and his eyes lit up like saucers! He thanked me profusely and said over and over again "You sure? You need anything you call me".  I gave him the last night off as well.  Make no mistake, I gave him cash when we said our goodbye's,  but I think some time off is a wonderful "Tip".  

They (and this applies to all crew members, not just stewards) also appreciate it when you cite them as part of the crew who made you cruise especially enjoyable.

1 hour ago, solocruzin said:

While your intention is good, please be aware that posting this kind of "tip" emboldens cheapos to deciare since they pick up after themselves or don't want cabin service , they shouldn't have to tip.  

On 10/25/2021 at 7:26 PM, Buffalobills said:

I specifically asked my server and she needed basic essentials toothpaste, mouthwash etc…

If someone offers you a mint, you better take the hint... lol

JK but I had to laugh. I think I would be very self conscious if some asked me if I ran out of toothpaste or mouthwash

• Haha 1