Cruise Weekly news on cruising restart 25Oct21

"ScoMo cruise restart “focus”: Perrottet Premier of New South Wales Dominic Perrottet is continuing ongoing discussions with Prime Minister Scott Morrison about allowing cruise ship operations to recommence, with an expectation a decision may be imminent. Speaking on Sydney radio station 2GB on Sat, Perrottet confirmed his predecessor Gladys Berejikilan had been speaking to Morrison about the issue of cruise for some time (CW 18 Oct). “I know that he is very much focused on this point... I’ve continued those discussions, and I know that it’s a certain focus of his,” Perrottet said. “My expectation is that cruising will come back online as soon as possible. “I don’t have a date, but I know, I’m not just saying this, I know that he is focused on it.” Perrottet said there’s no reason as to why New South Welshmen should be in a position where they can fly to other countries but can’t go on a cruise - a sign the messaging from Cruise Lines International Association is achieving penetration. “We need that consistency, and I know [Morrison} is working on it.” Perrottet also noted the huge positivity around Qantas Airways’ restart announcement last Fri in response to the removal of hotel quarantine for fully vaccinated Australians, saying “the aviation industry has been hit so hard, and so has the cruising industry”. “The excitement they have going back to work is incredibly great to see, and I think we’ll soon see the same thing with cruising,” Perrottet predicted."

Hopefully some good news!

Source Cruise Weekly 25Oct21

• Haha 1

Yes will be interesting.

If following the CLIA resumption to cruising plan, they have recommended test cruises with smaller ships.

SilverSea have cruises planned from mid December for Australians only and we've been advised our Antarctic cruise from Dunedin on Jan 13th with Ponant is currently in negotiations to change the embarkation port to Hobart. We had a 7 day NZ cruise as a back to back cancelled this week (normally they cancel 2 months in advance, however this was done earlier than normal), in anticipation of a potential move to Hoabrt for the following cruise??? 

That may also lead to further cruises with P&O that I believe haven't been cancelled as yet either?

Any other cruise lines that have current cruises booked from mid December??

Princess has some cruises on Coral Princess still scheduled to operate from mid-January.

If those are going to be cancelled it will probably happen this week as final payment for the first of those cruises must be due soon.

44 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Princess has some cruises on Coral Princess still scheduled to operate from mid-January.

If those are going to be cancelled it will probably happen this week as final payment for the first of those cruises must be due soon.

I wonder if they are hanging on for dear life, hoping for some good news!

Our final isn't due till 30 days before hand, but hoping for an answer earlier.

Well, we’re booked on Carnival Spirit out of Brisbane for a week on May 1 - this’ll be number 24 ahead of our milestone 25 on the Celebration TA in November next year. Things are looking better for the restart of Australian cruising; however, given that international flights will be back on and no quarantine for the double-vaxxed, I’ll cheerfully transfer the credit and fly to the States for ten days to do a one-weeker to Alaska or some such.

Edited by MalGee64

19 minutes ago, gogo65 said:

I wonder if they are hanging on for dear life, hoping for some good news!

Our final isn't due till 30 days before hand, but hoping for an answer earlier.

They cancelled the full season for Royal and Sapphire but Coral is scheduled to do the big cruises during winter, assuming those are viable, so that's probably why they didn't cancel the whole Cor all season. However Princess have been very good about cancelling before final payments are due which is why I expect to hear something soon, and if we don't then that may mean a restart will happen. 🤞

I'm trying to not get excited!

Has the Coral season only been sold to Australians? if not then they may start heavily promoting them to try and increase passenger numbers ( to make them more viable?).

Will be interesting to see what plans the government will put in place, whether there will be a maximum passenger number per ship etc

Even though our first part of the cruse has been cancelled, we only booked that as it was 'free', they had a back to back offer, with 20% off the subsequent cruise, being the second cruise was $$$ the discount equaled the price of the first cruise. So I'm happy to lose that cruise but holy moly, the thought of potentially going to Antarctica in less than 3 months seems crazy. I even booked my leave last week in preparation for the possibility!

Fingers crossed for all 🙂

Hmmm I just looked at the coral princess cruises, they may have to amend a few of the itineraries, assuming that NZ wont be opening any time soon (especially to ships), but they may just be able to have some domestic cruises that will appeal to many.

1 hour ago, gogo65 said:

Hmmm I just looked at the coral princess cruises, they may have to amend a few of the itineraries, assuming that NZ wont be opening any time soon (especially to ships), but they may just be able to have some domestic cruises that will appeal to many.

They did change some of the itineraries, ones with South Pacific ports, but left the NZ ones as original so they would have to change. 

I don't think they restricted sales on the Coral cruises to Aussies only but I hope they will be Aussie-only cruises initially.

We're booked on the Round Australia cruise in March. It will be interesting to see what happens with that one as I'm not sure WA will come to the party over cruising.

Reporter Stephen Drill from News Corp had an interview with Tourism Minister Dan Tehan on FB and the Government is looking at starting up cruising on the 17th December but it’s not confirmed 

Edited by rkmw
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That wouldn't bother me although I would be disappointed to miss the stop at Broome.

Yes, I have thought that the Coral around Australia cruise next March may go all the way around without stopping in WA but surely there would need to be a re-fuel at Freemantle or Broome.  Let's see if it goes first.

1 hour ago, rkmw said:

Reporter Stephen Drill from News Corp had an interview with Tourism Minister Dan Tehan on FB and the Government is looking at starting up cruising on the 17th December but it’s not confirmed 

That is when the current ban expires so that may be good news.

An article in this mornings Daily Telegraph written by Stephen Drill

"Let's get ready for a Bali Bubble"

"Bali is next on the list for travel bubbles with ongoing talks between the Australian  and Indonesian Governments..

Tourism Minister Dan Tehan confirmed that there had been discussions with Indonesia about potential travel dates, with South Korea and Japan also at the top of the reopening wish list.

And cruise ships could be back in the water before Christmas for trips around the Australian coastline, with limits on their passenger numbers to be reviewed by December 17.

Mr Tehan answered reader's questions on the Daily Tele Facebook page. International borders will reopen on November 1 for travellers into NSW and Victoria, with Wantas scheduling flights to London and Singapore."

Stay tuned for further updates!

Cheers

CRUISING ALONG

• Thanks 1

"Hunt’s cruise reply Minister for Health Greg Hunt has said the resumption of cruising will be dependent on the capacity of state and territory health systems to respond to outbreak events. In responding to a petition to resume cruising in Australia (CW 12 Aug), Hunt said the broader epidemiological situation in the country would also be contingent for a return for the industry. “Any relaxation of requirements will be dependent on expert health advice, and may be amended or reinstated at any time,” Hunt said. While the resumption of cruise operations and other discretionary forms of travel are being considered, in context of the National Plan, Hunt said the Australian Health Protection Principal Committee, which regularly reviews the cruise ship ban, would need to be satisfied vessels can operate in a COVID-safe way, and the risk of outbreak events impacting the Australian community and the health system is acceptable."

Seems like one government department is not too happy to have cruise ships back.

Source - Cruise Weekly 26Oct2021.

11 hours ago, woodscruise said:

"Hunt’s cruise reply Minister for Health Greg Hunt has said the resumption of cruising will be dependent on the capacity of state and territory health systems to respond to outbreak events. In responding to a petition to resume cruising in Australia (CW 12 Aug), Hunt said the broader epidemiological situation in the country would also be contingent for a return for the industry. “Any relaxation of requirements will be dependent on expert health advice, and may be amended or reinstated at any time,” Hunt said. While the resumption of cruise operations and other discretionary forms of travel are being considered, in context of the National Plan, Hunt said the Australian Health Protection Principal Committee, which regularly reviews the cruise ship ban, would need to be satisfied vessels can operate in a COVID-safe way, and the risk of outbreak events impacting the Australian community and the health system is acceptable."

Seems like one government department is not too happy to have cruise ships back.

🤬

On 10/26/2021 at 10:26 AM, woodscruise said:

Old news.