The Naughty Room survived Covid

CaliforniaDon

21 minutes ago, mom says said:

I thought your steward would bring you an acceptable extention cord just for the asking. Has that changed?

Lol Geoherb - great minds think alike

I did that once.  It was a 100 foot long, orange, heavy duty, bulky, dirty one that engineering probably hoped wouldn't come back.

I like using the outlet in the outlet at the head of the bed for the table lamp.  Unplug the lamp, plug in the multi outlet, then the lamp and CPAP into the multi outlet.  The multi outlet takes all kind of plugs.  No muss, no fuss.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MNRCOPC/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A3RLCN2TUIB9BN&th=1

In the title it says that it is surge protected, but it is not.  When you get it it is definitely not surge protected.  Another indication is the price.  Surge protectors are a lot more expensive.

2 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

This is my “power cord” that was confiscated. I tried to explain….but

7D7C2636-6419-4FA3-BCF3-1FC6385CE125.png

8C222861-0708-404C-8631-7D01B0C61F68.png

That would be very frustrating.  I guess I have been lucky, I have taken mine aboard many times.  If that happens to me, I might try going to Medical and see if they can convince security how important my CPAP is.  But who wants to start out a cruise like this.

19 hours ago, wrongwaywatson said:

I didn't know that was an option!

All you have to do to carry your own luggage on is to make sure that it will fit through the x-ray scanner at security. In addition, you have to be able to handle ALL of your luggage without help.

If you want to take the escalator (if there is one at your port), you need to be able to have one hand free to hold the railing on the way down or up. If you don't have a hand free, you must take the elevator.

Edited by JF - retired RRT

49 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

All you have to do to carry your own luggage on is to make sure that it will fit through the x-ray scanner at security. In addition, you have to be able to handle ALL of your luggage without help.

If you want to take the escalator (if there is one at your port), you need to be able to have one hand free to hold the railing on the way down or up. If you don't have a hand free, you must take the elevator.

i take the kitchen sink…to Hawaii. lol

Mistake 2 - Rather than apologize and send me on my way, the security person deemed my power strip to be a surge proteced device. It was NOT.
In spite of my explanation that I knew not to bring a surge protected device and that is why I bought the one in my luggage, he was un-moved and said that since the power strip said "protected" it was forbidden. It had a breaker and a lighted switch, no surge protection. They offered to deliver my suitcase, but I chose to take it my self an haul it to deck 14.

Pardon my ignorance, but isn't a power strip with a breaker considered surge protected?

I was on the first Grand trip out of LA last month.  Security flagged my bag because I had a small 10” desk fan in my bag.  I like having a fan to circulate the air and I can’t sleep in a quiet room.  My room steward actually checked for my bag because it hadn’t shown up at my room.  He went down to security, then came up to tell me, then walked me down there.  It took about ten minutes for the three security guards to OK the fan.  Then my steward brought the bag to my cabin.  I’m cruising on the Majestic this Saturday so I’m hoping I won’t have a problem.  I’ve always brought a fan and this is the first time I’ve ever had an issue.

4 hours ago, lx200gps said:

Pardon my ignorance, but isn't a power strip with a breaker considered surge protected?

Therein lies the problem.  Mr .Google can explain the difference in function and circuitry, but they look very similar.  The person with the no-switch strips above even got THAT taken away.  I guess the answer is to have something that does not even look like it might be a surge protector. 

Sort of like - if you are not allowed ducks on board, don't pack a wooden decoy, bring a block of wood instead.  AND, leave your tea kettle at home!  Ha ha.

11 hours ago, CaliforniaDon said:

Therein lies the problem.  Mr .Google can explain the difference in function and circuitry, but they look very similar.  The person with the no-switch strips above even got THAT taken away.  I guess the answer is to have something that does not even look like it might be a surge protector. 

Sort of like - if you are not allowed ducks on board, don't pack a wooden decoy, bring a block of wood instead.  AND, leave your tea kettle at home!  Ha ha.

AFAIK, circuit breakers protect against over current, and surge protectors guard against over voltage. I was under the mistaken impression that BOTH of these devices were prohibited on board, so thanks for clarifying that breaker equipped power strips are (or at least should be) OK. Still, you make an excellent point about ensuring that your device doesn't remotely look like anything "naughty". In our case, with only two phones and two tablets to charge, there's more than enough outlets in a cabin that we don't need to even bring a power strip.

This topic came up a while back & someone (can't remember who) had a really good idea...bring documentation about your power bar/cord that shows that it's not surge protected.

The one that I bought from Amazon has "NOT SURGE PROTECTED" in the description right next to the picture. I have that page in my packet of cruise docs.

Never been questioned yet, but I'm ready. 😉

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...