5-11 year old vaccines

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

Kaiser did a survey of parents and 63% said they either weren't going to get their kids vaccinated or were going to wait and see what happened before getting their kid vaxxed. Another 5% said they'd only do it if it became mandatory.

There will be a lot of cancellations if RC mandates that age group have a vaccine and RC knows it.

I have not encountered many who are booked on a cruise, have children in that age group, and are not vaccinating them. That would be very foolish. 

People said the same thing about their 12-year olds. The Bahamas and cruise lines didn’t care. You don’t have a right to cruise. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Kaiser did a survey of parents and 63% said they either weren't going to get their kids vaccinated or were going to wait and see what happened before getting their kid vaxxed. Another 5% said they'd only do it if it became mandatory.

There will be a lot of cancellations if RC mandates that age group have a vaccine and RC knows it.

Or the opposite could happen.  Those who have been hesitating to cruise because there are unvaxed children on board could backfill those slots. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, SheSailsFL said:

Or the opposite could happen.  Those who have been hesitating to cruise because there are unvaxed children on board could backfill those slots. 

Those same people would still not cruise because there still will be kids less than 5 unvaccinated. 

7 hours ago, Rosy Season said:

Just got my 7 year old signed up for her first shot.  Not until the 12th which was the first available appointment anywhere in the area.  So no way to be fully vaccinated before 11/21.  But should be all done by our December cruises!

More than 3 weeks is OK for the 2nd shot.  Some studies show it may be more effective if there is a longer period between the two.  I thought the outside suggestion was 49 days???  But even than, guideline says if that's missed just do it as soon as possible.

We got our 15 yo a vax as soon as I could get it scheduled.  CVS wanted to schedule the 3 weeks out immediately, so we did it, but then we changed it to 4 weeks.  We were traveling that week and I didn't want to risk her feeling bad away from home or on the plane.

39 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Those same people would still not cruise because there still will be kids less than 5 unvaccinated. 

Not if the move is to all vaccinated. I doubt RCI would mind dropping families with kids under 5 in exchange for drinking and gambling adults.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Maybe…I don’t know…they’re a lot less “mobile” and more likely to be in the kiddie pool or Adventure Ocean. And I think there are fewer of them on ships from personal observation. 😀🤷‍♀️

On 10/28/2021 at 9:00 AM, Ocean Boy said:

RI already has a supply on hand and ready to go also and well as plans for various clinics. Once the ok comes this is going to move pretty fast.

I anticipate RCI moving the requirement to everyone age 5 and older at the start of 2022. Conceivably, they could move to 100% vaccination. I don't think dropping families with kids under 5yo would affect that many bookings and perhaps the use of masks would go away. That could bring in enough new booking to compensate for any that are lost because of having kids under 5yo.

That would be great to have no masking anywhere on the ships. Do 4 year olds really understand and appreciate cruising? They can be left at home with the grandparents. No?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, DCPIV said:

That's not so true.  The first dose gives significant protection over nothing at all.

What's not true?  There was no way we were going to get both shots in before November 21.  That's a fact.  It has nothing to do with efficacy.

10 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Don't assume RCI will loosen the rules yet for those under 12, even if vaccinated.

The rules are already loose for the 5-11.  They aren't required to be vaccinated. The concern is that they are going to tighten the rules before our Nov. 21 sailing.  We'll be fine by Dec 19 because she'll be fully vaxxed by then.

4 hours ago, pyrateslife4me84 said:

I have not encountered many who are booked on a cruise, have children in that age group, and are not vaccinating them. That would be very foolish. 

People said the same thing about their 12-year olds. The Bahamas and cruise lines didn’t care. You don’t have a right to cruise. 

I agree.  The number of people who have children 5-11 who are booked who aren't vaxxing has to be a very small percentage.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AustinCruise said:

More than 3 weeks is OK for the 2nd shot.  Some studies show it may be more effective if there is a longer period between the two.  I thought the outside suggestion was 49 days???  But even than, guideline says if that's missed just do it as soon as possible.

We got our 15 yo a vax as soon as I could get it scheduled.  CVS wanted to schedule the 3 weeks out immediately, so we did it, but then we changed it to 4 weeks.  We were traveling that week and I didn't want to risk her feeling bad away from home or on the plane.

The problem is that we're coming up on our December 19th cruise so she has to be fully vaccinated by Dec. 5th to satisfy the 2 week wait period...so we will have to do 3 weeks in between if we want to be fully compliant.

55 minutes ago, Rosy Season said:

The problem is that we're coming up on our December 19th cruise so she has to be fully vaccinated by Dec. 5th to satisfy the 2 week wait period...so we will have to do 3 weeks in between if we want to be fully compliant.

I’m just saying you can do the first one now, if available. Then the 2nd the week of Nov 29.  The spacing needs to be 3 or more weeks between 1 & 2. 

9 hours ago, coffeebean said:

That would be great to have no masking anywhere on the ships. Do 4 year olds really understand and appreciate cruising? They can be left at home with the grandparents. No?

Yes. Or they can stay home with their parents.🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, AustinCruise said:

I’m just saying you can do the first one now, if available. Then the 2nd the week of Nov 29.  The spacing needs to be 3 or more weeks between 1 & 2. 

Nov 12 was the earliest available.  So December 3rd is the earliest I we can get the 2nd.

• Like 1

I am excited for a couple reasons that the vaccines were approved.  

We were able to get a booking for vaccines this Saturday, which will have them completely vaccinated by our December 12 cruise, with one or two days extra time.

I am assuming we will be able to book outside excursions, or just get off the ship, because we will all be vaccinated.  I am happy about this one.

Only one test for the kids instead of three.  

• Like 1

They are not going to ban 4 year olds. That goes against their brand. Some here seem to think they are sailing on Celebrity or Virgin. Royal is marketed to families, which is why they have chosen not to exclude children since resuming sailings and will continue to avoid excluding kids. They have entire areas of their ships geared specifically toward preschoolers. 

But, they do want safe sailings, so they’ll extend the vaccine mandate down to age 5 sometime soon and then down to age 2 once that’s an option next year. 

Edited by pyrateslife4me84
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, pyrateslife4me84 said:

But, they do want safe sailings, so they’ll extend the vaccine mandate down to age 5 sometime soon and then down to age 2 once that’s an option next year.

The cases found on board are already near zero. Introducing even stricter rules at this point is at a point of diminishing returns since now you'll force people out because they're not ready to get their young kids vaccinated.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, UNCFanatik said:

And some would say that its very foolish to vax a 5 year old after such a limited study for a virus that presents VERY low risks for them. The seasonal flu is more of a risk for 5-11 year olds but you dont see the cruise lines requiring flu vaccines even though a kid infected with the flu could spread it to others that could lead to serious health consequences. 

True..no one has the right to cruise BUT the cruise lines do have a right to make as much money as they can without limiting the family market

Thank you.  I am one of those crazy people discussed here who hopes to cruise in mid-December with an unvaccinated 10 year-old.  My husband and I are fully vaccinated with Pfizer.  Why am I not rushing out to get her vaccinated?  Because she and I have already had covid and she's since been exposed to several super-spreader events  and never gotten it again (including a birthday party last month in which she was the only one to not get it; several vaccinated parents there did get it; I know that she didn't because she had two PCR tests within the week after).  I had an awful reaction to the second Pfizer shot that took about a month to get over and I am not going to put her through that until we know much, much more about the vaccine.  This poster is 100% correct; this age group has much greater risk of car accidents, drowning, suicide, homicide, the flu, etc. than covid.  Covid is around #20 in the risk of death for this group and almost all of those kids have serious health issues.  There is no long-term safety data on this vaccine and I look at it as a risk/reward calculation, especially given that she easily handled covid with no issues the first time.

Although we love to cruise and are almost Diamond Plus, I that realize that Royal may not let us cruise in December and that's fine.  We'll take our travel dollars elsewhere.  Royal is going to lose a ton of families if they mandate the vaccine for kids below 12, instead of just making us test daily or something like that.  Maybe others replace them, maybe not.  I guess that we will see. 

Edited by alwaysflyin
  • Like 7

Just an FYI. i talked to my Strategic account manager for Royal about this topic and she has given me another pretty good thing about the kids vaccinations. 

if your child is under 12 and is double vaccinated but fully vaccinated during your cruise, as long as you contact tRoyal. Then they can make arrangements with your ship to have your child’s status updated during your cruise.

D2C0D091-063E-48D2-BF77-4D86C2D77C1D.jpeg

9CA98554-74E9-42AD-9325-ECD42B163A89.jpeg

On 11/3/2021 at 2:35 PM, smokeybandit said:

And for every family that cancels due to not wanting to vaccinate their under 12 child, there will be 2 more families more willing to book a cruise now if it is virtually 100% vaccinated (since the under 5 group is relatively small.)

I would be one of them. I have not booked another cruise yet since there was still a probability of a large contingent of unvaccinated kids in my time frames.  I will now start exploring cruises again once they mandate the 5 and up to be vaccinated.  

Edited by cured
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, cured said:

And for every family that cancels due to not wanting to vaccinate their under 12 child, there will be 2 more families more willing to book a cruise now if it is virtually 100% vaccinated (since the under 5 group is relatively small.)

I would be one of them. I have not booked another cruise yet since there was still a probability of a large contingent of unvaccinated kids in my time frames.  I will now start exploring cruises again once they mandate the 5 and up to be vaccinated.  

I think my parents are in this group too.  I want them to sail with us and their grandchild but it's too risky at their age and health.  Hopefully this will persuade them for later in 2022.  

I personally think that now the 5-11group has been approved we will generally see more private companies even outside of of travel and leisure begin to require vaccines.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, UNCFanatik said:

True..no one has the right to cruise BUT the cruise lines do have a right to make as much money as they can without limiting the family market

And if they can make even more money by barring kids under five then they have a right to do that, too.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1