5-11 year old vaccines

The CDC just recommended the Pfizer vaccine for 5-11 year olds. What is the chance that Royal is going to require it on November sailings? I'm super concerned we won't be able to get both vaccines in time for a Nov. 21st sailing if it's required.

• Like 1

is being discussed here: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2809705-when-5-11-year-olds-are-fully-vaccinated-but-its-not-required-by-rccl-yet-how-does-rccl-categorize-them/

P.S. CDC hasn't approved them yet. Even FDA hasn't. Just the FDA panel voted yes.

even if they got approved today, we wouldn't be able to vaccinate our kids before the Nov 21st cruise, because you need 5 weeks to be considered fully vaxxed. 14 days past the 2nd dose.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

is being discussed here: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2809705-when-5-11-year-olds-are-fully-vaccinated-but-its-not-required-by-rccl-yet-how-does-rccl-categorize-them/

P.S. CDC hasn't approved them yet. Even FDA hasn't. Just the FDA panel voted yes.

even if they got approved today, we wouldn't be able to vaccinate our kids before the Nov 21st cruise, because you need 5 weeks to be considered fully vaxxed. 14 days past the 2nd dose.

I thought that I read somewhere that when this happened for adults that those who didn't meet the requirements when it rolled out had to cancel until they were compliant.  But I don't know what the timing was from roll out to RCI mandating vaccines.

1 hour ago, Rosy Season said:

The CDC just recommended the Pfizer vaccine for 5-11 year olds. What is the chance that Royal is going to require it on November sailings? I'm super concerned we won't be able to get both vaccines in time for a Nov. 21st sailing if it's required.

There is ZERO possibility of that.  First of all, it was the FDA advisory panel, not the CDC. Second, it has to be approved by the FDA itself, which might take days or longer. Third, the pediatric doses need to be distributed.  Even IF someone lucks out and that all happens fast, the first dose might be next Monday (November 1st), dose two would be three weeks later (November 28th) and immunity would be declared two weeks after that (December 12th).

Not to mention, the dose still won't be "approved", but will rather be permitted under "emergency use authorization".  So you're not going to see it mandated at all.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

There is ZERO possibility of that.  First of all, it was the FDA advisory panel, not the CDC. Second, it has to be approved by the FDA itself, which might take days or longer. Third, the pediatric doses need to be distributed.  Even IF someone lucks out and that all happens fast, the first dose might be next Monday (November 1st), dose two would be three weeks later (November 28th) and immunity would be declared two weeks after that (December 12th).

Not to mention, the dose still won't be "approved", but will rather be permitted under "emergency use authorization".  So you're not going to see it mandated at all.

Sorry got the letters mixed up. But I heard that when the 12+ became a requirement it was almost immediately mandated and they just cancelled cruises. 

even if you turned 12 the day before the cruise the expectation is that you are fully vaccinated even though it’s not even possible. 

2 hours ago, Rosy Season said:

I thought that I read somewhere that when this happened for adults that those who didn't meet the requirements when it rolled out had to cancel until they were compliant.  But I don't know what the timing was from roll out to RCI mandating vaccines.

Because the adults that weren't vaccinated weren't because they chose to not because it wasn't approved for their use. Cruises didn't start up until mid June. I believe it was April when practically every state had opened shots up to everyone. I know in May the airports were letting anyone get the vaccine. So by the time cruises started up again it was well beyond the 5 weeks required to be fully vaccinated. 

7 hours ago, Rosy Season said:

Don't think will be rapid Changed for this young group as others before. Required to Cruise probably in 2022 earliest is my guess

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Rosy Season said:

Sorry got the letters mixed up. But I heard that when the 12+ became a requirement it was almost immediately mandated and they just cancelled cruises. 

even if you turned 12 the day before the cruise the expectation is that you are fully vaccinated even though it’s not even possible. 

Unless I am mistaken the dosage is the same for teenagers as it is for adults.  Dosage will be different for 5-11, from what I've read, so these doses have to be distributed separately, which will take logistics and time to end up in a pediatrician's office.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TytalusWarden said:

Unless I am mistaken the dosage is the same for teenagers as it is for adults.  Dosage will be different for 5-11, from what I've read, so these doses have to be distributed separately, which will take logistics and time to end up in a pediatrician's office.

My concern is that they’ll mandate it even though it’s not feasibly possible for the immediate sailings.  Those of us with kids in that age range sailing end of November would just be out of luck and have to cancel.  

15 minutes ago, Rosy Season said:

My concern is that they’ll mandate it even though it’s not feasibly possible for the immediate sailings.  Those of us with kids in that age range sailing end of November would just be out of luck and have to cancel.  

I seem to recall when they lowered the age to the 12+ set, Royal did push out the requirement with enough time for all eligible to be considered fully vaccinated along with a little wiggle room.  However, they did not have any leniency (and still do not) for those at the age threshold, the ones turning 12 and not having enough time to be considered fully vaccinated prior to cruising.

They will likely follow any interim guidance from the CDC with respect to requirements and update accordingly as they did with the updated testing recommendations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TytalusWarden said:

Same bottle of vaccine as is already in use, you just administer 1/3 as much. 

Some facilities will have pediatric specific vials, and those have already begun to be distributed. 

31 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Same bottle of vaccine as is already in use, you just administer 1/3 as much. 

It was discussed during the FDA call yesterday that it's a completely different vial with different color coding to keep them separate.

If RC mandates vaccines for 5-11 yr olds, will they get rid of masks? If not, it's a slap in the face to families.

Edited by smokeybandit
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

If RC mandates vaccines for 5-11 yr olds, will they get rid of masks? If not, it's a slap in the face to families.

Of course not, since there'll still be unavx on board - everyone below 5. And of course, @ace2542 will point out some other reason(s) as well.

Edited by Biker19
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

It was discussed during the FDA call yesterday that it's a completely different vial with different color coding to keep them separate.

Which is why I said “some places will get pediatric specific packaging”, the rest of us (and probably the vast majority of providers) will use the supply we have on hand. 

9 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Of course not, since there'll still be unavx on board - everyone below 5. And of course, @ace2542 will point out some other reason(s) as well.

Then it'd be a real slap in the face because making protocols even more strict despite basically zero cases anywhere on a cruise ship already makes perfect sense.

4 hours ago, Rosy Season said:

I agree with someone else who said it will be required starting January 1st.     Royal is a family cruise line and with Thanksgiving/Christmas coming up they dont want to lose those families.  If they make it January 1st, that will be enough time to get the kids vaxed.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, pyrateslife4me84 said:

That’s not true. They are different vials. 

I said above that there is a different vial, read again. 

They don’t have to be, not all of us carry multiple vials for the same medicine. 
it’s the same medicine regardless if the vial has a blue top (what we have now) or an orange top (the pediatric vial). I will be vaccinating age 5-11 from the blue top vials already in my freezer. 

Anyway, to the original point the orange top vials have already been shipped, my hospital has them in the pharmacy. 

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I said above that there is a different vial, read again. 

They don’t have to be, not all of us carry multiple vials for the same medicine. 
it’s the same medicine regardless if the vial has a blue top (what we have now) or an orange top (the pediatric vial). I will be vaccinating age 5-11 from the blue top vials already in my freezer. 

Anyway, to the original point the orange top vials have already been shipped, my hospital has them in the pharmacy. 

Glad they’ve already shipped. Sounds like they’ll be ready to go next week.