5-11 year old vaccines

13 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

so are we, but it allowed me to schedule the second shot 4 weeks later. As long as there are at least 3 weeks between the shots - we are ok.

No matter what it was going to be one shot before the cruise and one shot after.

I'm just glad she'll be fully vaccinated before our December cruise so we can schedule more things and the testing before embarkation won't be as bad.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, seahawkinohio said:

My son was going to be 12 on 11/18 but this will make me feel better about him being completely done prior to us leaving 12/19 for the cruise, made his appointment today!

I think a lot of people are breathing a little easier now...and especially once the shots start going into arms.  For many reasons.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Rosy Season said:

I couldn't do this Saturday because in 3 weeks when the next one is due we'll be on a ship

The second dose can be more than 21 days apart, from what I understand.  I don't recall what the longest period between doses can be, but it shouldn't be an issue if you had to wait until after you were back.

11 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

The second dose can be more than 21 days apart, from what I understand.  I don't recall what the longest period between doses can be, but it shouldn't be an issue if you had to wait until after you were back.

Either way we weren't going to get both in before the trip so it didn't really matter.

1 minute ago, Rosy Season said:

Either way we weren't going to get both in before the trip so it didn't really matter.

That's not so true.  The first dose gives significant protection over nothing at all.

21 minutes ago, Rosy Season said:

I'm just glad she'll be fully vaccinated before our December cruise so we can schedule more things and the testing before embarkation won't be as bad.

Don't assume RCI will loosen the rules yet for those under 12, even if vaccinated.

Edited by Biker19

My guess is they will relax the rules for under 5-11 at the same time they require vaccines for 5+ so they aren't in a situation where some 5-11 years old are allowed off the ship and other's aren't without RC excursions. So until they require it, even if our 5-11 are vaccinated they might still have extra rules apply to them.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Don't assume RCI will loosen the rules yet for those under 12, even if vaccinated.

perhaps, they would be allowed to wear a bracelet and attend shows for vaccinated people only, like the Aqua show seating. Or go on non-bubble excursions.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

45 minutes ago, jrapps said:

My guess is they will relax the rules for under 5-11 at the same time they require vaccines for 5+ so they aren't in a situation where some 5-11 years old are allowed off the ship and other's aren't without RC excursions. So until they require it, even if our 5-11 are vaccinated they might still have extra rules apply to them.

I sent a PM on FB about 5-11 being fully vaxxed before a cruise and if they would be able to do the rapid and was told yes.....  We cruise 12/23.  Our 11 year old gets first shot on the 9th and 2nd on the 30th.

image.png.bb7e94de057b9a0324f059bd48569010.png

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, abpplh said:

I sent a PM on FB about 5-11 being fully vaxxed before a cruise and if they would be able to do the rapid and was told yes.....  We cruise 12/23.  Our 11 year old gets first shot on the 9th and 2nd on the 30th.

image.png.bb7e94de057b9a0324f059bd48569010.png

Why can't they take that test now? From what I see on the Royal website, there is no difference in the tests accepted for both vaccinated 12+ and unvaccinated under 12.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-need-an-rt-pcr-test-before-i-cruise-where-should-i-go

EDIT: Now I see it on that very page I linked to, it states 

Supervised telehealth tests are not accepted for unvaccinated guests – only for vaccinated guests.

Oops. Ignore the rest of my question.

Edited by jrapps
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DCPIV said:

The second dose can be more than 21 days apart, from what I understand.  I don't recall what the longest period between doses can be, but it shouldn't be an issue if you had to wait until after you were back

If memory serves me correctly it is 42 days max between doses for it to be acceptable to RCI. I also have seen some stuff suggesting the Pfizer is a little more effective if the second dose is at 28 days vs the 21 days.

• Like 2

IMG_0158.thumb.JPG.ae8704ab8311ad8ad94a74c15bc2cb99.JPG

This is what I'm afraid of. For everyone that says it won't happen...NCL has just done it.  It appears they're immediately mandating vaccines for everyone with the last shot needing to be done two weeks before sailing.

That means anyone with November sailings can't go.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2021 at 3:52 PM, zekekelso said:

I’m no pharmacist, but I’m pretty sure the shelf life for vaccines is waaaay less than five years. Always insist on non-expired medicine. 

in all seriousness, since no kids could get vaccinated in time, Royal won’t require it 

I believe NCL just did.

21 minutes ago, Rosy Season said:

This is what I'm afraid of. For everyone that says it won't happen...NCL has just done it.  It appears they're immediately mandating vaccines for everyone with the last shot needing to be done two weeks before sailing.

just the opposite. They required vaccinations to begin with - so, 12+ only (as does Princess). Now they are allowing vaxxed kids under 12 to cruise as well.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

2 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

just the opposite. They required vaccinations to begin with - so, 12+ only (as does Princess). Now they are allowing vaxxed kids under 12 to cruise as well.

You’re missing the point.  There is no such thing as a fully vaxxed 5-11 year old until at the earliest December 10th.

What do we do about cruises that are booked for November 21st?  Those people will have to cancel because the 5-11 cannot possibly be fully vaxxed by then. Which was my initial concern.

3 minutes ago, Rosy Season said:

You’re missing the point.  There is no such thing as a fully vaxxed 5-11 year old until at the earliest December 10th.

What do we do about cruises that are booked for November 21st?  Those people will have to cancel because the 5-11 cannot possibly be fully vaxxed by then. Which was my initial concern.

Princess and NCL have been "vaccinated cruises only" all this time.  So, nothing new for Princess and NCL, because they will now simply allow vaxxed kids under 12 to join cruises, provided these kids have 2 shots followed by 14 days. So, in about 6-7 weeks or so.

This is not the same for RCI. RCI has allowed unvaxxed kids under 12 to sail all this time.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Princess and NCL have been "vaccinated cruises only" all this time.  So, nothing new for Princess and NCL, because they will now simply allow vaxxed kids under 12 to join cruises, provided these kids have 2 shots followed by 14 days. So, in about 6-7 weeks or so.

This is not the same for RCI. RCI has allowed unvaxxed kids under 12 to sail all this time.

Ok - I see what you're saying.  We were talking in circles there.

My concern is that the others will follow suit but maybe not since they weren't completed vaxxed only to begin with.

My kid has her first on on 11/12 so we're doing everything we can to be compliant as quickly as possible!

Kaiser did a survey of parents and 63% said they either weren't going to get their kids vaccinated or were going to wait and see what happened before getting their kid vaxxed. Another 5% said they'd only do it if it became mandatory.

There will be a lot of cancellations if RC mandates that age group have a vaccine and RC knows it.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2021 at 9:02 PM, PCHENG said:

It depends on what you mean by "became a requirement".  FDA authorized EUA for Pfizer vaccine on 12 to 15 years old May 10, 2021.  Royal did not require vaccine for 12 years old until August or September.

If you make arrangements to get the shot as soon as EUA is authorized, you have almost three months to get vaccinated.  It should be obvious to anyone following the cruise industry that Royal is following CDC guideline lock step and will require Covid-19 vaccine for 12 to 15, just as I believe Royal will soon require vaccine for anyone above 5.

I relieve the issue for 12 year olds were just 'corner case scenarios' were someone would turn age 12, but there wouldn't be enough time to be fully vaccinated in time for the cruise, even if they got their first shot on their birthday, which would be the earliest allowed date.

• Like 1