5-11 year old vaccines

15 hours ago, alwaysflyin said:

Thank you.  I am one of those crazy people discussed here who hopes to cruise in mid-December with an unvaccinated 10 year-old.  

9 hours ago, renza said:

No way in hell would I vaccinate a child under 12. These parents are crazy. A child actually dying from Covid is 0.00%-0.03%. 

If I had a child in that age group, I may be a little hesitant.  But when you think about it, although the death rate for a child dying from COVID is very low, I believe the death rate from getting the vaccine is far lower than that.  But it's much more than protecting "your" child from COVID.  Many, many children are getting infected, and they infect others, who infect others, and again, and again, until it reaches a vulnerable person who dies.  And we know that this is happening because we are still losing 1,500 Americans every day.  

I think parents have a right to not get their child vaccinated, but I think cruise lines have a right to do what they feel is safe for all passengers.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

On 11/3/2021 at 4:16 PM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Princess and NCL have been "vaccinated cruises only" all this time.  So, nothing new for Princess and NCL, because they will now simply allow vaxxed kids under 12 to join cruises, provided these kids have 2 shots followed by 14 days. So, in about 6-7 weeks or so.

This is not the same for RCI. RCI has allowed unvaxxed kids under 12 to sail all this time.

Royal does test cruises to allow an unlimited amount of unvaxxed passengers on board. NCL did not do test cruises because their policy has been 100% vaxxed passengers only since their return to sailing 

Edited by coffeebean

4 hours ago, Lou33 said:

If I had a child in that age group, I may be a little hesitant.  But when you think about it, although the death rate for a child dying from COVID is very low, I believe the death rate from getting the vaccine is far lower than that.  But it's much more than protecting "your" child from COVID.  Many, many children are getting infected, and they infect others, who infect others, and again, and again, until it reaches a vulnerable person who dies.  And we know that this is happening because we are still losing 1,500 Americans every day.  

I think parents have a right to not get their child vaccinated, but I think cruise lines have a right to do what they feel is safe for all passengers.  

Absolutely true. And the mandates won't be forever so most can just wait it out......like we're doing. 

This may give an idea of how family-friendly businesses will proceed: Broadway theatres have announced that, effective immediately, in addition to full vaccination  being required for ages 12+, for ages 5-11, through 2/28/22, a single dose of the Pfizer vaccine will suffice (or a negative test). They anticipate full vaccination being required for ages 5-11 starting 3/1/22.

Children under age 5 cannot attend a show. 

• Like 1

Broadway isn't exactly family friendly. Hell the Broadway musical I just saw on tour had a lot of curse words in it. 

I would be a bit shocked if Royal and other cruise lines waited past January 1 to to require for the young people. But that's mostly because I don't think they want to deal with mixed status in that age range. 

7 hours ago, smplybcause said:

Broadway isn't exactly family friendly. Hell the Broadway musical I just saw on tour had a lot of curse words in it. 

I would be a bit shocked if Royal and other cruise lines waited past January 1 to to require for the young people. But that's mostly because I don't think they want to deal with mixed status in that age range. 

The Lion King, Aladdin, and Wicked beg to differ…Royal is family friendly and literally presents Broadway shows. Suggesting that the fact that there are some Broadway shows for adults means Broadway isn’t family-friendly is like saying the fact the R-rated movies exist means movie theaters aren’t family-friendly. There are different shows for different audiences. 

I was more pointing out that if they want full vaccination by 3/1, that provides a glimpse into what government agencies are suggesting. Broadway theatres do not make these decisions in a vacuum. 

Edited by pyrateslife4me84
  • Like 2

I’m really hoping proof of vaccinations for 5+ arrives and stays for good.  I do a lot of science based research.  A chicken pox vaccine was devised because 100 kids were dying.  Yet  Covid has already taken at least 700 kids and we know long hauler exists and still many don’t want to vax kids.  

My family, including my 14 year old got it and I want to vacation with others who take this pandemic as seriously as we do.

because this vaccination prevents serious illness not catching it, I don’t want to be with your unvaccinated family in an enclosed boat.  

good luck to all that decide.  I’m sure it will be many months until we see how it all shakes out.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

It's not even approved yet in Canada (soon, but not yet) so can't see Royal mandating it this year. But I'll say that the more vaccinated, the more comfortable I'll be. (Our kids and 12 and 16 so both vaccinated)

I'm stressing over this.  I have a cruise booked March 13, 2022.  My 14 year is already fully vaccinated but we are traveling with my 9 year old.  I will vaccinate him as soon as I possibly can and have lost my patience with the government at this point.  We've ordered enough pfizer to give first doses to every child in that age group but no word on when second doses are coming.  If they do delayed dosing (because they want to for whatever reason OR because they didn't order them in time) I may have to move this cruise for the 4th time...  I was okay with the last 3 moves because I understood it, but this this move (because our government is too slow) will be extremely upsetting.

34 minutes ago, MaddyandMax said:

I'm stressing over this.  I have a cruise booked March 13, 2022.  My 14 year is already fully vaccinated but we are traveling with my 9 year old.  I will vaccinate him as soon as I possibly can and have lost my patience with the government at this point.  We've ordered enough pfizer to give first doses to every child in that age group but no word on when second doses are coming.  If they do delayed dosing (because they want to for whatever reason OR because they didn't order them in time) I may have to move this cruise for the 4th time...  I was okay with the last 3 moves because I understood it, but this this move (because our government is too slow) will be extremely upsetting.

Can understand your stress. Of course, nobody knows but you would think that you'll  be ok for your 9 year old by March.  I'm in Toronto too (or just north).  Even with initial rollout to adults, they sped up second doses from initial plan.  Of course, they'll have to balance 3rd boosters and 5-12 year old shots.  Last time they help back the Pfizer to make sure that they had enough for kids.  Totally understand though....and hoping no further cancellations for you.

35 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

Lots of things worth stressing over. Being vaccinated by March is not one of them 🙂

Can't tell if you're Canadian or not by your profile but if you are then you know that is definitely something to stress over 😆

I say that as a mixed dose Canadian who waited 4 months between doses...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, pyrateslife4me84 said:

The Lion King, Aladdin, and Wicked beg to differ…Royal is family friendly and literally presents Broadway shows. Suggesting that the fact that there are some Broadway shows for adults means Broadway isn’t family-friendly is like saying the fact the R-rated movies exist means movie theaters aren’t family-friendly. There are different shows for different audiences. 

I was more pointing out that if they want full vaccination by 3/1, that provides a glimpse into what government agencies are suggesting. Broadway theatres do not make these decisions in a vacuum. 

I didn't say it didn't have shows that were family friendly, just as a whole the audience of Broadway plays is not children. Meanwhile Royal specifically markets to get young children on board. 

On 11/4/2021 at 11:23 AM, alwaysflyin said:

Thank you.  I am one of those crazy people discussed here who hopes to cruise in mid-December with an unvaccinated 10 year-old.  My husband and I are fully vaccinated with Pfizer.  Why am I not rushing out to get her vaccinated?  Because she and I have already had covid and she's since been exposed to several super-spreader events  and never gotten it again (including a birthday party last month in which she was the only one to not get it; several vaccinated parents there did get it; I know that she didn't because she had two PCR tests within the week after).  I had an awful reaction to the second Pfizer shot that took about a month to get over and I am not going to put her through that until we know much, much more about the vaccine.  This poster is 100% correct; this age group has much greater risk of car accidents, drowning, suicide, homicide, the flu, etc. than covid.  Covid is around #20 in the risk of death for this group and almost all of those kids have serious health issues.  There is no long-term safety data on this vaccine and I look at it as a risk/reward calculation, especially given that she easily handled covid with no issues the first time.

Although we love to cruise and are almost Diamond Plus, I that realize that Royal may not let us cruise in December and that's fine.  We'll take our travel dollars elsewhere.  Royal is going to lose a ton of families if they mandate the vaccine for kids below 12, instead of just making us test daily or something like that.  Maybe others replace them, maybe not.  I guess that we will see. 

All of my family have already gotten the first shot for their 5-12, so my experience is that all families will get it... We don't know what percentage of cruising families will get it once it becomes mandatory... Two of my great nieces participated in the clinical trials.

Edited by MommaBear55
  • Like 1