Multi port Caribbean cruise

Mudhen

WOW! Where do I start?! We're on the Dec. 20th Explorer Caribbean cruise. Today we had a port update, sent via email, essentially re doing our itinerary. That's fine,

we have no problems with that....BUT.... and it's a BIG but, at the end of said email, down in the fine print, almost the very last thing on the page, it mentions that the entry requirements for each island/port, can be found with this link...Points us to VisaCentral CIBT Entry Guide. We will hit 9 different ports/countries and each one has something different for their entry requirements. Some want this test, or that one, some 48 hrs ahead, some 72 hrs ahead, and the best of all was Curacao, which says cruise passengers aren't allowed entry. Go figure.

I guess what I'd like to know is this....will Regent help us do all of this documentation, testing, paperwork, or is that all on us? If it's all on us, we may be doing a two weeks at sea sort of trip!!!

We do realize that covid has changed the world and the way different places deal with this is entirely their doing. But some sort of cohesive plan would sure make things easier.

Does anyone have any further info on just how Regent will deal with this? I don't think we're the only ones who are in this situation.

• Like 2

We are on the Nov. 15, 24 night Explorer Caribbean cruise. Last week we were sent a similar document, but it was much more flexible. In fact, only San Juan, Puerto Rico required a health clearance and Curacao shows as open. Here is the notice for Curacao, but every other port (except for PR) has the same requirements.

Willemstad, Curaçao

·          Guests must carry their proof of vaccination.

·          Guests can go ashore independently or on shore excursions organized by Regent Seven Seas Cruises.  

For December 20th Explorer, Regent dropped the two best ports, Barbados and Aruba. They added a Bahamas beach instead. Several other changes. Dropped St.Kitts.  Possibly all this is due to local governments. But, why hasn't Regent offered new tours to select ? Poor timing and commnuication

imo.

2 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

According to 2 sources at Regent, Regent will provide any tests needed to enter any port they visit and they will also provide any paperwork needed and assistance in filling it out.

OMG! You are my hero! Thanks so much for that info....really appreciate it!

Perhaps I should add this...

They have no clue about Curacao but I am going with the reference link they provided is wrong. Here is the port schedule for Curacao...they are obviously letting in cruise ships.

https://cruisedig.com/ports/willemstad-curacao/arrivals

Also - it seems the higher up the chain you go, the less certain they are about the info. Common sense dictates that if a test is required than Regent will be prepared for it...this is a 6 star line not a summer fair carny ride (I hope).

I had also wondered about the OP question as well.  Also, I don’t understand why Barbados requires Seabourn to keep its guests in a bubble and not let them “explore independently” for all ports of their Caribbean cruises.  I think it’s because Seabourn embarks/disembark guests in Barbados (vs Miami for Explorer) and the Barbados govt has its own more stringent requirements. Regent is saying that guests can go ashore independently for virtually all Caribbean ports, so it seems the protocols are different comparing the different cruise lines. Many of these port are “level 4” Covid rated by the CDC. So allowing guests to “explore independently” is an added risk for Regent IMO.  

We abandoned our 24 night Explorer Caribbean cruise for this reason, and other reasons, including the risk of being offloaded in one of these “level 4” ports due to a potential for testing Covid positive or being a close contact of one.  The 24 night cruise hit 18 different countries, all with different entry requirements….not sure how Regent is going to make that seemless for their guests. It sounds like a logistical nightmare for both guests and Regent.   I do look forward to hearing reports back from those booked on these cruises over the next few months and wish you all safe travels. 

WOW we are on the Feb 3 Splendor cruise and this is not encouraging.  Have made final payment, so under current penalties to cancel.  It will be interesting to see how this all plays out in the next few weeks for sure.  We too may end up doing a two weeks at sea type cruise😎

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ridolphi said:

WOW we are on the Feb 3 Splendor cruise and this is not encouraging.  Have made final payment, so under current penalties to cancel.  It will be interesting to see how this all plays out in the next few weeks for sure.  We too may end up doing a two weeks at sea type cruise😎

What part is not encouraging? I have not heard complaints from anyone on board?

• Like 2

We booked a Caribbean cruise on the Splendor in January. We booked it knowing there was a pandemic which might be better, the same or possibly even worse when we actually embarked. I think everyone who intends to cruise in the near term should be ready for “curve balls” with testing, masking, changing ports, etc.  

Could the lines be more forthcoming in some cases? Maybe,  but they can’t predict the future either. And I’m sure if they said the protocol will be “this” when you board but then circumstances change and they have to switch the protocol to “that,” some people will inevitably be outraged. 

I’m not addressing this to anyone in particular, just a general comment on my view of cruising right now. 

We also have three other cruises booked between now and April, so we’re optimistic and making up for lost time! 

• Like 2

I think in this day and age, the key to most cruise travel is flexibility. We just recently received an email from Regent changing our Dec. 20th cruise  itinerary. No biggie for us. We've been to the Caribbean many times and I was actually pleased at the changes. What made me really laugh was a note from our most beloved TA that said we were wait list cleared for a port that we're now not going to...big giggle!

Anyway, everyone cruising most anywhere should be prepared for changes....

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mudhen said:

I think in this day and age, the key to most cruise travel is flexibility. We just recently received an email from Regent changing our Dec. 20th cruise  itinerary. No biggie for us. We've been to the Caribbean many times and I was actually pleased at the changes. What made me really laugh was a note from our most beloved TA that said we were wait list cleared for a port that we're now not going to...big giggle!

Anyway, everyone cruising most anywhere should be prepared for changes....

Did you get that email today or last week?