Seashore Xmas Week- What does MSC do for Holidays?

BoundForSea

Just curious what MSC does on board for the holidays and for Christmas Day, Eve, etc? We will be sailing on Seashore in the YC and while we’ve been on many cruises (with MSC as well) this will be our first Holiday Cruise. 

Many pics videos etc would be great as well that you can share. 

• 3 weeks later...

Is there a Christmas tree lighting ceremony?  Does Santa arrive during a special program on Christmas morning?  Are children in attendance at that time given a gift?  What Christmas goodies, etc. Gingerbread Men et al., available in the buffet restaurant?  Egg Nog available in the restaurants?  Does MSC provide the opportunity to order a decorated, lighted Christmas tree for one's stateroom (at the guest's expense, of course).  Is there a special MDR or YC Restaurant menu for Christmas Eve and/or Christmas Day dinners?   

We were in the YC on the Divina Christmas 2019.  Santa visted the YC and gave out wonderful gifts to the kiddos.  The ship was decorated and very festive.  Christmas Carolers, hot cocoa, etc.  Santa also came to the main theater and gave all the kids on board gifts!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

What Christmas goodies, etc. Gingerbread Men et al., available in the buffet restaurant?  Egg Nog available in the restaurants?  Does MSC provide the opportunity to order a decorated, lighted Christmas tree for one's stateroom (at the guest's expense, of course).  Is there a special MDR or YC Restaurant menu for Christmas Eve and/or Christmas Day dinners?   

Remember that you are on an ITALIAN cruise line.  There's no equivalent to egg nog in Italy and they are not into Gingerbread.  However there will be European touches.  When we were on a Costa Cruise over Thanksgiving we had a special menu of Turkey and BLUEBERRY sauce (not kidding) which was their understanding of a cranberry sauce.  It was hysterical.  

In short, it will be delightful, I am sure, but it won't necessarily be a "US" version of Christmas.  (For that Disney does a splendid job replete with people sized gingerbread houses!)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Morgsmom said:

Remember that you are on an ITALIAN cruise line.  There's no equivalent to egg nog in Italy and they are not into Gingerbread. 

Closest would be zabaglione, an egg-nog based pudding and Zabov makes a liqueur from it.  I've recall having had a bombardino in Milan some time ago, which adds brandy.

2 hours ago, Morgsmom said:

There's no equivalent to egg nog in Italy and they are not into Gingerbread. 

Gingerbread is Americanized copy of old European traditions.. Mostaccioli in Italy is based on ancient recipes from 300BC..  Lebkuchen in Germany is made in variations in different regions based on century old traditions.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Morgsmom said:

Remember that you are on an ITALIAN cruise line.  There's no equivalent to egg nog in Italy and they are not into Gingerbread.  However there will be European touches.  When we were on a Costa Cruise over Thanksgiving we had a special menu of Turkey and BLUEBERRY sauce (not kidding) which was their understanding of a cranberry sauce.  It was hysterical.  

In short, it will be delightful, I am sure, but it won't necessarily be a "US" version of Christmas.  (For that Disney does a splendid job replete with people sized gingerbread houses!)

Thank you for your thoughts.  The difference in how different countries celebrate Christmas did not enter my mind when I wrote my post.  Blueberry Sauce for Turkey?  Now, THAT would be a new experience!  My questions were based on a few Christmas cruises on HAL and they do a great job!  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Morgsmom said:

Remember that you are on an ITALIAN cruise line.  There's no equivalent to egg nog in Italy and they are not into Gingerbread.

Interesting discussion 🙂

Egg nog is from the Netherlands, but meanwhile quite everywhere, but many countries - like Italy or Malaysia 😉 - use the Dutch brand name "Advocaat". I am quite sure I saw it many times in the MDR on MSC. 

Gingerbread is also everywhere in Europe, also Italy, where of cause the Panettone is the king of Christmas. 

The berry from which the sauce fort Turkey (and duck) is made in Europe, is called "Lingonberry", certainly blueberries are a really strange choice. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Morgsmom said:

....Thanksgiving we had a special menu of Turkey and BLUEBERRY sauce (not kidding) which was their understanding of a cranberry sauce....

Haggis, with blueberry sauce, anyone?

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, perakcruiser said:

Interesting discussion 🙂

Egg nog is from the Netherlands, but meanwhile quite everywhere, but many countries - like Italy or Malaysia 😉 - use the Dutch brand name "Advocaat". I am quite sure I saw it many times in the MDR on MSC. 

Gingerbread is also everywhere in Europe, also Italy, where of cause the Panettone is the king of Christmas. 

The berry from which the sauce fort Turkey (and duck) is made in Europe, is called "Lingonberry", certainly blueberries are a really strange choice. 

A very informative and interesting post; thanks for making it.  Lingonberry Sauce is very much appropriate for Swedish Crepes (pancakes), but. for turkey or duck?  I'd try it.  But, I like Cranberry Sauce.  

We had a turkey dinner on a British ship (Fred.Olsen line) at Christmas time, and there was a cranberry sauce, but it was hot and liquid, more like a thin gravy consistency.  (I guess gravy is a sauce, right?)  However, the real Christmas dinner main course was gammon (ham).

I do find the variations, in different countries, interesting; however sometimes I have to remind myself that probably each family on my street has their own interpretation of a holiday menu, too.  Even my dear SiL serves things I would never consider.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

A very informative and interesting post; thanks for making it.  Lingonberry Sauce is very much appropriate for Swedish Crepes (pancakes), but. for turkey or duck?  I'd try it.  But, I like Cranberry Sauce.  

You are most welcome. But I have to correct myself - after my wife corrected me of cause 🙃 - the sauce for the duck (or turkey) is not made from Lingonberry. There is only a spoon of Lingonberry jam served on a slice of orange also on the plate. You can mix the jam with the sauce or dip the meat into it. 

And next correction, the traditional meat on Christmas Day (at least in some parts Europe) is of cause goose and not duck. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, perakcruiser said:

And next correction, the traditional meat on Christmas Day (at least in some parts Europe) is of cause goose and not duck. 

DH smoked a goose last year for Christmas.  It was not - how do I say this politely - "to our taste."  🙂

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Morgsmom said:

DH smoked a goose last year for Christmas.  It was not - how do I say this politely - "to our taste."  🙂

Preparing a goose for Christmas the traditional German way is similar to preparing a turkey for Thanksgiving.. stuffing, etc.

Goose will be slowly cooked/baked in oven for hours.. result is delicious juicy tender meat..

5 hours ago, Morgsmom said:

I ordered Roast Goose for a Christmas dinner entree on one cruise.  I concur with your post.  Gastric distress that night was experienced by this cruiser.  

5 hours ago, SirWolf said:

Preparing a goose for Christmas the traditional German way is similar to preparing a turkey for Thanksgiving.. stuffing, etc.

Goose will be slowly cooked/baked in oven for hours.. result is delicious juicy tender meat..

It tasted good when I was eating it.  But, a couple of hours later........!  I needed some Pepto-Bismol.