Checking Luggage in Port Canaveral

smay136

I'm flying in very early on the day of our cruise. I was wondering how early I could check my luggage at the terminal in Port Canaveral. 

If checking my luggage early isn't an option, does anyone have any suggestions for what to do for a few hours between the plane landing and being able to get onboard the ship? I really don't want to hang out in the airport if I don't have to. 🙂 

3 hours ago, smay136 said:

I'm flying in very early on the day of our cruise. I was wondering how early I could check my luggage at the terminal in Port Canaveral. 

If checking my luggage early isn't an option, does anyone have any suggestions for what to do for a few hours between the plane landing and being able to get onboard the ship? I really don't want to hang out in the airport if I don't have to. 🙂 

Maybe rent a car at MCO and return it to Cocoa Beach or Port Canaveral. Used to be no one-way drop fees in Fla, not sure if it is still that way with the car shortage. If you did that you could cruise A1A and go to Ron Jon's, etc. in Cocoa Beach or even go to the beach. It shouldn't cost much more than a transfer would.

What time is your boarding?  How are you getting from MCO to the ship?  Without a rental car there are very limited options in the port area.  The crew is busy getting the previous guests off the ship and will likely not start taking bags before about 9:30.

To kill a few hours I would head to one of the nicer hotels near MCO for a boozy brunch (tip them to watch your bags), then shuttle to PC (the ride takes about an hour) to board your ship.

20 hours ago, smay136 said:

Which ship and terminal?

We're sailing on the Magic in December. It looks like it will dock at Terminal 6. 

We land at the airport around 6am. Haven't checked in for a boarding time, but I'm hoping we will be able to get on the boat at 10:30 or 11:00. 

I will check into renting a car for a few hours. I like the hotel idea, so I'll also look into that. 

Grills at the port is open for breakfast and is a place to chill until boarding time .... short UBER to the terminal for boarding (no you can NOT walk)

grills-seafood-30.jpg

BUT note one of the owners has been outspoken about anti-vaccine .... cuz God told him . . . not rumor ... front page of paper and even went national . . 

8 hours ago, smay136 said:

We're sailing on the Magic in December. It looks like it will dock at Terminal 6. 

We land at the airport around 6am. Haven't checked in for a boarding time, but I'm hoping we will be able to get on the boat at 10:30 or 11:00. 

I will check into renting a car for a few hours. I like the hotel idea, so I'll also look into that. 

If you are not Diamond, platinum, wedding or suite the early slot might not be available. These people get to check in 16 days before the cruise while everyone else has to wait until 12 days before the cruise to check in. Check in begins at 1200am EST.

You will get to check-in 14 days prior unless you are a Super Diamond whatever person who get to at 16 days. If your plane lands on-time you will have your luggage by 6:30AM. If you leave straight to PC, you will be there by 7:30AM. Far too early to check bags or get in the terminal. I just read someone doing online boarding at midnight and got a 1PM slot as the earliest boarding. I think they did something wrong, but I am not to argue that. You will have to kill at least 2-hours if not 3 with that timetable. Where ever you go, you have to manage your luggage. The only viable solution to that in my opinion is to rent a car. The only downside to that is you will be dealing with dropping it off and in line with all the people just getting off the ship to rent cars. 

Another possible option for you is to contact Cruise Control Transportation. They have luggage storage and may have a solution that works better. You may be able to get a ride out to PC, dropped off somewhere for breakfast, they hold your luggage, and bring you to your terminal when you need to. If you go with a shuttle bus, you are waiting at the airport until about 9AM. If you go directly to the terminal, you are waiting in a parking lot for hours until you can check bags. In the end, it is going to come down to convenience and how much you want to spend.

On 10/27/2021 at 4:18 PM, smay136 said:

Honestly, I’d get a day room at the hotel connected to the airport. It’s a Hyatt. I’d use the opportunity to take a shower, nap and maybe some breakfast. By the time

you’ve done all that you could easily schedule a transfer to the port, which would save you the hassle of a rental, dropping it somewhere and then still having to get to the port. 

• 4 weeks later...

If I were landing at MCO at 6am for a cruise at PC, I would...  

Book my cruise arrival time. Let's say it is for 11AM. 

Book a plane to ship bus for 9:30 or so. 

Get off the plane last. 

Find a restroom. 

Leisurely make my way to baggage claim. 

Decide to find a nice breakfast at the airport. Eat leisurely. 

Go shopping for that one last thing that I forgot to get. 

It will now be about 8:30 AM. They tend to like to load the bus a bit early. 

I'll need to find the bus, so I will. Might take a walk to get some exercise. 

Get on the bus. Arrive at the port at about 10:30, check in. 

Or, reality, 

Plane is 3 hours late. I arrive at 9:00. Rush off the plane to baggage and then the port shuttle and hope that they will let me on a later bus. 

Personally, I always plan to arrive near PC, MCO, JAX the day before. I've had flights be 8 hours late. I would not want to miss the boat. Airlines have been having lots of issues getting flights in/out of Florida. They blame weather, schedule, lack of pilots and crew.