Did you get a covid test at the Port of Los Angeles before your cruise?

Twiga

I live on the Central Coast of California.  It has been nearly impossible to find a location to get a rapid test before our cruise in December.  CVS and Walgreens have no testing sites within California for the rapid test according to their websites.  Local health departments only do the PCR test.  Princess says that they offer testing at the dock.  Has anyone obtained a covid test at the Port of Los Angeles (San Pedro) before your cruise?  If so, how long did it take from the time you arrived at the testing site until you received the test?  Did you do the test the day of boarding or the day before?  I heard that the cost would be $150.  Is that what you were charged?  Thank you!

• Haha 1

I've been looking at the CVS website and found one possibility. There's a CVS in Thousand Oaks which appears to be providing rapid tests. I'm considering it if I can get appointments for us on our drive down to San Pedro the day before our cruise. We got tested in Nipomo in September and received the results the following day under the then 3-day rule, but this 2-day rule is just driving everyone nuts, especially when we live in an area such as ours.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nini said:

Thousand Oaks is about 60 miles from San Pedro. I would look around Long Beach or Torrance.

We’re both driving from San Luis Obispo County and have to drive through Thousand Oaks to get to San Pedro. I’ve looked at the map and the CVS is right off US-101. 

7 hours ago, shellbeachjim said:

We’re both driving from San Luis Obispo County and have to drive through Thousand Oaks to get to San Pedro. I’ve looked at the map and the CVS is right off US-101. 

Perfect! Be safe.

4 hours ago, Twiga said:

Thank you everyone for your responses and suggestions.  I am still hoping to hear from someone who had their testing done at the Port of Los Angeles. 

While not AT the port ... Sameday Health has a place 9 miles from the port on 2nd Street in Long Beach. They do the rapid antigen test with results in 30 minutes at a very reasonable cost.

• Like 2

I would be interested in knowing if there is a testing site at San Pedro.  I did not notice one upon arrival nor during transit walk for b2b.  I stressed for weeks.  Glad I had an appointment time with Sameday Health.  That’s the way to go.  

2 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Finally got an answer for you.  Between Terminals 91 and 93 (on the corner/92) there are these white tents.  It is available to multiple cruise lines.  Cost is not cheap.  Crew sometimes have to use same tent.  Passengers coming and going can use the tent.

testing at port.HEIC 769.17 kB · 14 downloads

Thank you for the info.  Cvs does not have antigen just pcr testing in Las Vegas.  I’m hearing the turnaround is about a day so I have fingers crossed so this will be my backup if I don’t get my result.  A woman on my Alaska cruise did not get her results in time and was able to get tested at the Seattle cruise terminal.  Yeah all of the rules and changing availability is nerve racking.  

• 2 months later...
On 10/28/2021 at 2:04 AM, USC Sailor said:

Total Testing Solutions has some free rapid test sites around LA. 

https://www.totaltestingsolutions.com/

I've used them twice for my testing  before a cruise and I was really impressed.  I've gone to the one in North Hollywood and got my antigen test results in my email in around 15 minutes.  They have other locations, including one near the 405 on the way to the port.  I was in and out in less than 10 minutes, but things may be a bit more difficult now that everyone is clamoring for testing.

3 hours ago, whirledpeas said:

Tests are not even open for non infected people in Seattle. No appointments. I am getting worried about what we will do. We cruise next week. Help! 

Optum monitored home test

1 hour ago, jwattle said:

Optum monitored home test

Yes, do this, order the test a month or so in advance.  If you're uncertain what to do, the folks on the monitored portion walk you through every step carefully.  Also, look for it on youtube as several other folks have taken the test and show how easy it is.  This is a great test because if you unfortunately test positive, you hopefully haven't even left home.

When you get the test, DONT OPEN IT, follow the directions.

To save time, download the Navica app on your phone and create an account.  Make sure whatever webcam (phone or computer) you are using is set up in such a way that it can capture your face and your test in the same picture when you actively take the test.